Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 11,187 times

Advertisements

We're new here from Texas and have really missed good Mexican food. We just tried Super Taco in Clemson today and it was awesome! If you're willing to drive a little, they have delicious, authentic Mexican food. The owners are from California and everything is homemade, including the chips, salsas, and tortillas. We tried the burritos because the owner said they were the most popular and we can definitely see why! The food was great and reasonably priced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:19 AM

8 posts, read 27,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Coronas. Fonda Rosalinda's on Pleasantburg Drive is pretty decent. Anita's in Simpsonville is another great place. I hear that Compadres (sp?) on South Main Street in Greenville is really good too.
Anita's is the best 'Mexican' restaurant in the G'ville area.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 AM

8 posts, read 27,382 times
Anita's is the best 'Mexican' restaurant in the G'ville area. I had family that worked there 16 years ago. The place has history.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:30 PM

161 posts, read 416,396 times
Los Compadres isn't that great. They have really good (and expensive) margaritas, but the food is a small step up from Taco Bell.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM

48 posts, read 115,249 times
Any of you been to a mexican restaurant here that has chili verde on the menu?

Im from Colorado and its very common out there. My wife has my mother's receipe and makes it for us as part of our Christmas Eve dinner but I have yet to find a place with it on the east coast.

For those of you who dont know what it is, it's a soup with pork and green chili. Great as a stand alone soup with some tortillias or to smother on top of a burrito.

We have eaten at Monterreys, El Rancho Grande, the place by Saskatoons and the place on Pelham by Skins. Sorry that I can not remember the names of the last two places.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
I'll help you out, LetsGoBuffs. The place by Saskatoons is Guadalajara, and the place on Pelham by Skins is Corona. The latter seems to be very popular. Always crowded when I've been there, and I thought it was pretty good too.

I personally like Mr. Salsa a lot, but my favorite Margarita by far is the Prima Margarita at Don Pablo's made with 1800 Reposado Tequila.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM

48 posts, read 115,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I'll help you out, LetsGoBuffs. The place by Saskatoons is Guadalajara, and the place on Pelham by Skins is Corona. The latter seems to be very popular. Always crowded when I've been there, and I thought it was pretty good too.

I personally like Mr. Salsa a lot, but my favorite Margarita by far is the Prima Margarita at Don Pablo's made with 1800 Reposado Tequila.
yup! i think you got it right now that you mention the names of the places. Guadalajara is probably my favorite so far. thanks for the help.

now, what about that chili verde?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:44 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBuffs View Post
yup! i think you got it right now that you mention the names of the places. Guadalajara is probably my favorite so far. thanks for the help.

now, what about that chili verde?
And Guadalajara is one of the very few I haven't been to yet! Will have to try it if it's your favorite.

Can't help you with the chili verde right now but will keep my eye out and post here if I find it for you.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times
I'm the OP - my family and I have been in Greenville for about a year now, here's my assessment (so far) of Greenville area mexican restaurants:

Tequila's (Simpsonville, off Fairview Road, next to Belk's/Home Depot) - very good, friendly, excellent/cheap prices (best prices in town - however they have a "new" menu), fast service, average salsa; one downside: quite smoke-filled (due to a very small space), BUT they offer a smoke free environment at lunch on Sundays, and soon Friday evenings - yeah! 8/10

Anita's (Simpsoville, on Main Street) - I really don't get understand why they get so much praise, yes the service and salsa are excellent, but the food is just average and the prices are high; plus, I feel like I'm eating with the family at the next table - no booths and a very tight space - was this once a house? 6/10

Sabroso! Mexican Grille (Greenville, on Woodruff) - very good food, smaller/limited menu than most, excellent salsa (best in town), expensive, not open on Sundays, extremely crowded at times 7/10

Compadres (Main Street, downtown Greenville, adjacent to the ball field) - great ambiance (both inside and out), excellent food but the most expensive of the mexican restaurants in town, no free refills on soda (what?!), smoke free 7/10

El Molcajete (Off N Pleasantburg, Greenville) - good food, friendly/fast service, bland salsa, not worth a "destination" trip 6/10

Coronas (W Faris, Greenville) - I've only been to this location, excellent food, great service, average prices, OK salsa (secret: order the "spicy" salsa - chunky with cilantro and mix with the "regular" salsa - great!), smoke free!, great avocado salad, good fajitas, one of our favorites but a "drive" for us 8/10

Monterrey's (by the Mall) - the only Monterreys I've been to, loud, quick service, very average food, bland salsa, I really don't understand the appeal of this place (location?) 4/10 (points only for efficient service and cleanliness)

Mr. Salsa (Woodruff Road) - really just average, a little pricey, very popular and crowded at times, bland salsa, ordered a shrimp/avocado salad at the last visit - overcooked, small, stringy shrimp - small salad and expensive as well - wide appeal for this place - but I don't understand why 4/10

I'm still on the quest for a *great*, authentic mexican restaurant - have not tried Fonda Rosalinda - am up for a drive for any tasty food. There is also a mexican taqueria in downtown Simpsonville that looks interesting - but my Spanish is not great - anyone tried this place?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,690 times
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Fonda Rosalinda's on Pleasantburg Drive near Bob Jones University. They use all fresh ingredients, high quality meats and the prices are very reasonable. I am super picky where I eat, particularly with regard to food quality and I love Rosalinda's. That place is THE BEST in Greenville for mexican/spanish food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area