Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 139,475 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I want to thank everyone on this forum for helping all us that are looking into the Greenville area.

My family ( 7 including 5 kids) are looking to move to the Greenville area I am originally from the south so I am use to it. We have family all over the Midwest and the South so we would be closer to them. We are very conservative and love the mountains. We currently live in Summit County Colorado one of the most beautiful places on earth. We don’t really have 4 seasons mostly Winter and Summer and Summer is super mild. Winter is 6-7 months and at an average annual snow fall of over 250” it can be interesting to say the least. We are next to some of the top ski resorts and near Vail so we do like to ski. The area is very nice but with the snow, Cost of living (top 10 in both housing and costs in the nation), and not many families due to the cost of living we are looking to make a permanent move. My kids love the idea of having more friends and in some cases a friend at all. The door is pretty revolving around here with tourists and workers catering to them. Over 65% of all homes in the area are second homes. I also love the idea of being able to play golf for more than a few months of the year. But we have a few questions and would love to get a locals take and more information.

1. If we move to Greenville can we live in the Mountains and or Foothills and still be close to Greenville (25 min or less away)?
2. If we live in the Mountains what are the best communities with easy access to Greenville and surrounding areas.
3. What are the best private Christian schools in the area and are any close to the Foothills / Mountains?
4. I was raised Baptist and it looks like Greenville has lots but we would like to go to an independent or non-Denominational church are there any good ones, and where are they?
5. What are the closest Ski Resort, and are they any good?
6. If we don’t live in the Foothills / Mountains what are the best family oriented neighborhoods with good views of them?
7. How is the Real Estate market there?
8. It looks like there are a lot of little taxes do you know where to go to find out about all the various ones?
9. Is the Humidity as bad as Little Rock or other areas of the South excluding Florida?
10. Does Greenville get regular wind or just on occasion?

Thanks again everyone, we are looking to come down in the spring or summer. Greenville is one of the few places in the South I don’t know much about but it looks like it may be a good fit for us. We have been to Ashville several times in our travels and it is beautiful but not really a fit for our family we hope Greenville might be just that. We really need to put down roots and let all of the kids get out of school.

Jason

Last edited by jason1; 01-18-2008 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Typing Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 07:34 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,994 times
Well, I'm not a local, although we do have property there, but I'll try to get the ball rolling. As far as the mountains are concerned, they basically start at Rte 11, which is a bit more than 25 minutes out, although the junction of 11 and 25 isn't too bad a drive. Our property is 5 miles north of Traveler's Rest, which is one of the bigger towns in that area (and its still pretty small) Many of the towns you will see- Tigerville, Cleveland, Sunset- are not really much at all. Travelers Rest has very good access to Greenville. We were attracted to the area because it is affordable, and has a mild 4 season year. Snowfall probably averages a few inches, and it usually melts fast After 27 years in FL, though, we didn't want too much winter! Right over the border in NC there are a few small ski areas, but you need to go to the Maggie Valley area for the best conditions. It gets better the farther north you go- nothing like CO, though! Eastern skiing is either wet or icy- fresh powder is almost unheard of. I'm a big fan of the parks they have in the mountains- Jones Gap, Caesar's Head, Table Rock. Great year-round hiking. I would imagine golf is nearly year-round, too. One great thing about the area is the proximity to the taller mountains in NC. Highlands NC is at 4100'- it feels like its air conditioned! Sorry I can't address your other questions, but others will be along- good luck!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks Flgargoyle,

Skiing seems to be a bit away but maggie valley seemed nice. We are not expecting what we have here. One of our resorts is probably larger than everyone combined in NC. We know that and my kids aren't die hard skiers and don't really care that much anymore probably because we live there and they go all the time. Our biggest concerns are schools, temperature/humidity, and views of the mountains.

We may also look at north Carolina but not sure about the size of the towns in the Mountains except Asheville which we did not like.

Thanks again

Jason

Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Hi Jason!

I will respond to your great post as soon as I have time to devote plenty of thought to your questions. I am very glad to hear that you are interested in the Greenville area. You should be very pleased with the area's openness to conservative religious beliefs.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM

Thanks Skyliner looking forward to it.

If there are any families on this forum that have moved to the Greenville area lately I would love to here your input on what you think.

Jason

Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM

169 posts, read 570,866 times
Default Greenville and the Mountians

Just thought I would add my thoughts as a recent transplant. We moved here in November of last year, so we are pretty new. We LOVE it here. The weather is wonderful, yes I know we have had cold, ice, and snow, but where we are from, Erie, PA, is one of the cities with a large amount of Lake Effect Snow. Man I don't miss hearing that term! Anyway, the people here are SO nice. They are willing to give you help in any way shape, or form. Our precious Granddaughter moved with us and I found a wonderful mom's morning out program. The teacher offered to watch her while we had our house closing, and another mom gave me her phone number and said to call if I needed anything. These people don't even know me, and yet they are reaching out. We have been invited to more church services than I can count and that means alot to us. Whenever I am out with my Granddaughter the response to her is always so loving. She is very vocal for 2 and always says "Hi my name is Ryleigh" and everyone smiles and seems to really enjoy her friendliness. There is never a negative comment to her 2 year old behavior. My main issue is missing the 3 adult children and other family we left behind, that we hope and pray follow us here.
So, I guess for the most part our experience so far has been positive. We are very glad we made the decision to move here.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM

Thanks Wazeaz,

That is very encouraging to hear. I do miss that southern hospitality. Around here we have no one wanting to help one another. I believe it is primarily it being a tourist mecca and tourist are not here to help and most of the locals are tired of them all the time which can make them a little grumpy.

Thanks for the update.

Jason

Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Hey Jason

I lived in the Breckenridge/Blue River area for seven years and can definitely relate to what you are saying. There is something about having a couple million people come through your town every year to skew your outlook on life. I worked at the Breck Rec Center with a lot of the local kids coming through there for daycare/swim lessons, etc., and often wondered what a different childhood they were having-with all the jokes about the tourists (including the ski bums that come through for the season), and all the wealth and empty homes. Friends come and go, so you get a little cautious about meeting people, too. It certainly is beautiful there, though. For years, I had a great view of the ten-mile range right out my bedroom window.
Greenville is night/day in terms of the people, and there is still plenty of natural beauty here. The first thing I noticed moving eastward was all the diversity in plants, trees and animals (including the bugs) compared to the pine forests and snow of the Rockies. I'm not really being much help here on your list of questions - I haven't really considered skiing near here after so long in Brec, but all the other seasonal activities really make up for it. You'll soon remember that the temp doesn't drop 30 degrees right after the sun goes down!
On a final note, Greenville just seems to be a real place compared to Summit County - a more grounded culture for kids to grow up in, I would think. And I would also imagine a much easier place for them to make friends.

I'm sure Skyliner will give you some great info - he always does. Look into Travelers Rest.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks ART123,

Glad to see I'm not the only one. My kids our our priority and they like it here but I can really see the older they get the more weary they get. When they do get a friend they cant count on keeping them. My oldest (daughter) finally met a good friend this year at school. She was pulled out of school after Christmas break and left the area. Now my daughter has no friends her age and is totally crushed and doesn't want to try to meet any new ones. It really tears your heart as a father. The beauty is great here, we make an incredible income, and the housing market never has a real down turn, but some things are more important. We look directly at Buffalo mountain and are at the golf course so we to see the ten mile range it can be breathtaking. Does the picture look familiar

P.S. how bad is the humidity and the bugs?

Thanks again

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville and the Mountains?-buffalo-mtn.jpg  

Last edited by jason1; 01-21-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Yes. That's pic is very familiar. One thing about all the different people that come through Summit County is that they tend to be very interesting and help create a lot of wonderful memories, even if some of the relationships don't last. I met a guy there with a big sail boat on Lake Dillon, which we raced in some race one summer and came in dead last. It was a rare day with almost no wind. It took hours to finish, but we had fun.

Whoa, sorry - memory-lane tangent...

I've only been here in Greenville since the Fall, and because of the drought this year I have no good experience on what the humidity is really like. It was 104 degrees when we came on a scouting trip in August, though. We camped that week up in NC/Tenn (just a couple/few hours) and it was much cooler. And there are no roaches here. Apparently when they cross the border they become "Palmetto bugs." Doesn't that sound much more pleasant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area