Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times

Advertisements

Charter has been charging me 60/mo for the same service. I think I need to give them a call and find out why.

Their tv service is sky-high. I was paying $122/mo for just 2 tvs and no special premium packages other than a tier 1 upgrade to add the science channels that they wont include in the cheapest base pack. I now use Amazon Prime Fire tv which is free, but comes out to 8.00 per mo with my yearly Amazon Prime membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleNativ View Post
That's very interesting. Is there anyone links to where you found the Google fiber Charleston info?
The link to where I found out about Charleston becoming a potential Google Fiber location is here. You can scroll down for the list of the next 10 Google Fiber cities in installment, Charleston is number 1 on the list, so hopefully it's safe to assume that we'll be getting super fast internet very soon! It's also speculated that if Google Fiber doesn't make it's way to Charleston, they'll most likely settle in Columbia since they just purchased over 500 acres of land down there as well. It's pretty much set in stone that they're going to put a base in SC because they want to beat Verizon FIOS to the punch with high-quality internet in the South, even though Google Fiber is almost 900 MBPs faster than FIOS. (again, ridiculously fast internet speeds!)

Last edited by Valshe; 07-22-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Charter has been charging me 60/mo for the same service. I think I need to give them a call and find out why.

Their tv service is sky-high. I was paying $122/mo for just 2 tvs and no special premium packages other than a tier 1 upgrade to add the science channels that they wont include in the cheapest base pack. I now use Amazon Prime Fire tv which is free, but comes out to 8.00 per mo with my yearly Amazon Prime membership.
The internet is $50 if you have some sort of TV package, $60 if you don't have a TV package.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 10,177 times
Its ATT gigafiber.

Our neighborhood in TR had it install about a week ago. They guy installing said hopefully it will be up and running sometime in the fall, Which probably really means next spring.

AT&T Plans To Launch Blazing Fast Gigabit Internet Speeds In Greenville Area

Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
My Charter internet is only $50 for 60Mbit and I actually get 80Mbit. I've been paying $50/mo for Charter for like 10 years, so not sure how they're suddenly 'pricing themselves out of the market'.
Will they give you that rate if you don't get cable or phone from them? I'd love to get rid of ATT but a neighbor says that Charter's cables in this neighborhood are so old, the speed is actually slower than ATT.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:02 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Will they give you that rate if you don't get cable or phone from them? I'd love to get rid of ATT but a neighbor says that Charter's cables in this neighborhood are so old, the speed is actually slower than ATT.
Not sure - my post was really old, I actually canceled all TV service with them about 8 months ago and switched to just internet for $60. I haven't tried to get a promo price for just internet yet, though I might try calling their customer retention just to see if I can get a cheaper price for a year.

You should ask your neighbor to do a real speedtest (speedtest.net - choose atlanta to get the most realistic value) and see what it comes back as. Even with old cabling I would be really skeptical that AT&T is anywhere near as fast as charter. It could be that the cabling in his house is bad, or maybe he has his own bad cable modem, or an old one, etc. There are many possibilities, his scenario doesn't necessarily reflect what yours will be, even though he's your neighbor.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:42 AM

11 posts, read 10,177 times
I pay $39.99 for internet from Charter. Also get well over 60Mbps. Dont use charter for tv. Every 12 months I call and they put it back to 39.99, if they raise the price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area