Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times

Advertisements

If you are looking to move to the Greenville area and are concerned about the drought, check out this video that might make you feel a little bit better about the area: BlueBox Video Player - weather.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Very cool!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:47 AM

32 posts, read 157,067 times
Very Cool....I posted it on my website!! Moderator cut: edit Thanks. I LOVE fresh materials!

Last edited by christina0001; 02-22-2008 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: real estate advertising

Old 01-26-2008, 06:02 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
If you are looking to move to the Greenville area and are concerned about the drought, check out this video that might make you feel a little bit better about the area: BlueBox Video Player - weather.com
I saw that on TWC - This one is edited a little bit different. The WTC clip showed traffic on main street and MAN did it look busy! The road seemed packed solid with small box trucks and passenger vehicles etc

Does DT have traffic coming through it all day long like that?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 AM

32 posts, read 157,067 times
Default downtown traffic

we have the BEST downtown. It's small and the traffic is welcome here because there are tons of other roads within a small city block of one another to get around. You don't have to drive through our downtown...people WANT to ...you'd only know why when you go there! We actually PARK right on our main street....we're still that friendly here.
BTW..hello to all in Manchester CT...I moved out years ago. I sell real estate here now and wouldn't change a thing!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:38 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Best part is that all parking on streets in downtown Greenville is FREE. I don't mind paying the small fee to park in a garage if necessary, but even a few of those are free on weekends and one is free every evening during the week. Auto traffic on Main Street is steady at nearly all times of the day everyday, but it is slow and unobtrusive to pedestrian traffic on the wide sidewalks. It is the way every downtown should be - and many cities across the nation have taken note after visiting Greenville to learn from our success.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:58 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I saw that on TWC - This one is edited a little bit different. The WTC clip showed traffic on main street and MAN did it look busy! The road seemed packed solid with small box trucks and passenger vehicles etc

Does DT have traffic coming through it all day long like that?
It just seems like that because it's streets were cut back from 4 lanes to 2 in the late 80's to make it a nice "walking" downtown. If you take a picture of traffic if the lights are all unfavorable it will look like there is a lot of traffic but seconds later when the lights through Main Street are all green then it will look like there is no traffic.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonic1 View Post
we have the BEST downtown. It's small and the traffic is welcome here because there are tons of other roads within a small city block of one another to get around. You don't have to drive through our downtown...people WANT to ...you'd only know why when you go there! We actually PARK right on our main street....we're still that friendly here.
BTW..hello to all in Manchester CT...I moved out years ago. I sell real estate here now and wouldn't change a thing!
Well, just to be "fair" to my current hometown we do have a very walkable and "livable" main street...and yes you can actually PARK right on main street! LOL

Manchester is one of the small cities in this state that has continued to develop and improve. You probably would not recognize a lot of things as over the last 5 years alone as a lot of development has taken place.

Yes this is the Cruisin On Main Street event, but it's all I have online and you can see where you normally would park.

Anyhow, I'm not here to promote Manchester, CT. I'm looking to relocate to a place more family and faith oriented with less taxes, positive growth, and a more positive can do attitude without totally losing the gorgeous New England feel of rolling hills and the countryside at the same time.

Manchester has been good to me and I will miss it. But, doors close and others open.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
It just seems like that because it's streets were cut back from 4 lanes to 2 in the late 80's to make it a nice "walking" downtown. If you take a picture of traffic if the lights are all unfavorable it will look like there is a lot of traffic but seconds later when the lights through Main Street are all green then it will look like there is no traffic.
Well this was video of traffic moving through DT and on main street. It was packed solid. Not the end of the world, I was just curious if you hear tons of traffic noise and rumbling trucks going by one after the other through DT.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well this was video of traffic moving through DT and on main street. It was packed solid. Not the end of the world, I was just curious if you hear tons of traffic noise and rumbling trucks going by one after the other through DT.

Thanks for sharing.
Like others said, the main reason for traffic on Main St is people wanting to drive down it. There are much better routes if you're actually trying to get somewhere!

And back on topic of this thread...they mentioned one very, very good point in that video. Our water tastes good. I've learned to not even attempt drinking tap water when we visit other cities because it never tastes good, or at least doesn't come close to Greenville's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area