Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM

9,541 posts, read 9,861,210 times

Advertisements

Meteorologists are saying this years fall colors will be one of the best in recent years.

What would be a good half-day or so drive round trip from Greenville to get the best fall color experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,648,607 times
I'll let others answer where, but was on i40 Monday and the higher peaks right near the TN/NC border had a good amount of color for a very brief part but most of the trees elsewhere along i40 in the NC mountains where a dull green with a fair amount of yellow creeping in. Was mostly dull/light green but could tell they are turning. Should be some nice color soon.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM

723 posts, read 1,152,606 times
I drove from Ohio to South Carolina over the weekend and saw very little in the way of fall colors anywhere along the route, although rain and fog made it difficult to see clearly in the TN/NC mountains along I-40. I'd give it a week or so.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:43 PM

We are probably still a few weeks away from peaking up in the mountains.

I actually have trip planned in mid-October to Gatlinburg. I thought about taking US-441 S and NC-107 S on the way back. How is that drive? My wife is not the best passenger in a car, so I don't want to get to curvy on the roads, I'm driving a minivan.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:45 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,202,779 times
Asheville NC Fall Foliage Color Leaf Report 2015

Suggest going on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Maggie Valley or along the Cherokee Highway

Old 09-23-2015, 02:07 PM

31 posts, read 38,099 times
We are also headed to Gatlinburg in a couple of weeks - I hear the fall colors are unbeatable!

Off topic, but what hotels along the main st Gatlinburg would you stay to be close to everything without breaking the bank; are there any we must stay away from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
We are probably still a few weeks away from peaking up in the mountains.

I actually have trip planned in mid-October to Gatlinburg. I thought about taking US-441 S and NC-107 S on the way back. How is that drive? My wife is not the best passenger in a car, so I don't want to get to curvy on the roads, I'm driving a minivan.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKern View Post
We are also headed to Gatlinburg in a couple of weeks - I hear the fall colors are unbeatable!

Off topic, but what hotels along the main st Gatlinburg would you stay to be close to everything without breaking the bank; are there any we must stay away from?
We are staying in a 3BR condo (6 of us), a little pricey, but we like the comforts. I know a older couple from church that often stays at some motel in Gatlinburg. I believe it was the Riverhouse. I heard Baskins Creek is good as well as Carr's Northside Cottages. I expect prices to be inflated this time of year due to the fall colors. The local places seem to be better than the national chains in this area.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,111,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKern View Post

You will definitely get a cheaper rate if you stay in Pigeon Forge which is right by Gatlinburg.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 AM

241 posts, read 387,785 times
276 up and over Caesar's Head to grab lunch in Brevard, and back.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,825,782 times
Take Hwy 25 out of Greenville and exit at Highway 11. You can take that to 276 and over to Caesar's Head as the previous poster suggested or continue on Highway 11 toward Table Rock State Park. It's a beautiful drive.

Once the fall color starts happening, it's just jaw-droppingly beautiful most everywhere you go. It's great how the color starts further north and then slowly creeps down the mountains to the lower elevations. Fall and spring both seem much longer than they did when I lived up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area