Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:37 PM

80 posts, read 114,456 times

Advertisements

Greenville is getting ATT Gigafiber soon!

AT&T expands its fiber internet service to 38 new cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 PM

183 posts, read 303,146 times
Beat me to it lol

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/07/a...wer-expansion/

Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 PM

102 posts, read 121,760 times
That's might be nice for Greenville - doesn't help Greer one bit. Also - same problem of for (outrageous) profit company only looking to keep investors happy - we still need to get Greer to find a way to provide service as a part of their utilities service.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:19 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,792 times
Interesting article...ATT's choice for using POTS for last mile for UVerse has been such a poor choice when compared to FiOS.

This could be a fantastic game changer though!

Quote:
U-verse with AT&T GigaPower uses Fiber to the Premise (FTTP) technology. FTTP provides you with a 100% fiber-optic network with speeds faster than dial-up, DSL, or cable services. Fiber-optic technology lets you view HD videos, stream music, and enjoy faster Internet speeds. Compared to copper wiring, fiber optics are so versatile because they are:
Lighter
More flexible
Less likely to experience decreased quality
Able to handle increased speeds without being replaced
As you use more devices and do more online, your need for faster Internet speeds increases. We’re continuing to expand our fiber network and increase the speeds the network provides.
FTTP? Now we're talking. I have noticed over the last year a ton of fiber infrastructure going in all over Greenville county. Wonder if that's a prelude to this?

My in-laws had FiOS up in PA. It was AMAZING.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Interesting article...ATT's choice for using POTS for last mile for UVerse has been such a poor choice when compared to FiOS.

FTTP? Now we're talking. I have noticed over the last year a ton of fiber infrastructure going in all over Greenville county. Wonder if that's a prelude to this?

Couldn't agree more. We had FiOS in FL before moving here and the raw speed and stability was head and shoulders above either Charter or AT&T here (U-Verse was far more stable / consistent than Charter was, but much slower). It's seriously the only thing I miss from living in FL.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post

They have also been installing a ton of fiber in the Powdersville area of NE Anderson County. The main roads in our area have all had additional fiber installed in the last 6 months.

Since this is fiber to the premises, won't they also have to pull fiber into the individual neighborhoods and up to the specific houses? Do they also pull fiber in your house or just to the outside distribution point?

Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Since this is fiber to the premises, won't they also have to pull fiber into the individual neighborhoods and up to the specific houses? Do they also pull fiber in your house or just to the outside distribution point?
With FiOS they "pulled" fiber from a neighborhood node to our house. The node was in front of the neighbors house along the sidewalk, and they buried the fiber cable along the sidewalk and through the yard. Two guys did it with a flat tool that just created an opening and they stuffed the cable in with another. Took them about an hour to run a couple hundred feet. Of course this was FL, so the yard was soft / sandy, not clay like we have here.

They only pulled fiber to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) on the back of my house, and then connected Coax and my existing CAT5 wiring to the ONT.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:25 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Seen the cables being pulled in the Simpsonville area also this past summer. Sadly not in my area yet, but hopefully this will drive competition such as Charter to offer these types of speed as well.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,792 times
So depressing. Talked to my sister in middle TN yesterday. They have a local provider offering 1 GB Fiber to their home! Man oh man. Their base package is 75 bucks for 100down/25 up. That's crazy.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:25 PM

20 posts, read 36,524 times
Here's an interesting article about AT&T's just announced fiber rollout: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...y-exists.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area