Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:23 PM

105 posts, read 108,095 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a trip to Greenville and here are my impressions.
The traffic is horrible for a city that size. It is chaotic and rough. The interstates appeared to be at a crawl fron 4:30pm to 6:30. Feeder roads can have a single lane of 65 cars waiting to get through a traffic light.
Other roads are severely under designed with unsynced lights. Trucks on the interstate block both lanes of travel and have little regard for the backed up cars behind them. You are taking your life in your hands.
Florida I-95 is much better to travel on, being 3 lanes most of the way and unlawful for trucks to travel in the left lane.
The place has been ruined by its best place rating, which caused thousands to seek happiness there. But they have only found the problems they were seeking to escape from.
There is an hysteria in this country of trying to find happiness by moving to a new climate.
This is an illusion. It may help a little but won't be a major factor in happiness unless you are coming from a horrible climate.
It appears to be as hot or hotter than Florida without the breezes, and with cold winter temps at night.
I see no reason to move there.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:30 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,435,821 times
It was hot when you came? It is mid November.

traffic in Greenville is a breeze. There is some congestion during rush hour but no more than any other similar sized metro

Old 11-19-2015, 04:15 AM

606 posts, read 589,072 times
While I agree that some areas are plagued with traffic (what city isn't?), Greenville is much bigger than the census would indicate since the actual city limits are rather small. 'For a city that size' is not really accurate; compare it to a metro area that size. Technically, I lived in a small town in FL, but there were eleven traffic lights on my five mile commute, which took over half an hour during rush hour. Of course, my small town was in the middle of a huge metro area.

As for the heat, I lived in FL for 30 years, and there is no comparison to FL's heat and humidity. I'm sure I'm painting a rosy picture in my mind, but all I have to do is compare my utility bills to get a dose of reality.

I'm glad that you found that Greenville wasn't right for you. No place is right for everybody. FL wasn't right for us, but I don't complain about it; I simply moved on.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:14 AM

557 posts, read 867,235 times
Thank you for your opinions Florida Heat. I wish you well were ever you may find your utopia. For my family and I, we love it here.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,882,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCainJr View Post
Thank you for your opinions Florida Heat. I wish you well were ever you may find your utopia. For my family and I, we love it here.
Ditto. Love the people here especially; such an easy place to live.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 AM

453 posts, read 649,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heat View Post
...based almost entirely on traffic?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:26 AM

30,606 posts, read 19,329,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heat View Post
I just got back from a trip to Greenville and here are my impressions.
The traffic is horrible for a city that size. It is chaotic and rough. The interstates appeared to be at a crawl fron 4:30pm to 6:30. Feeder roads can have a single lane of 65 cars waiting to get through a traffic light.
Other roads are severely under designed with unsynced lights. Trucks on the interstate block both lanes of travel and have little regard for the backed up cars behind them. You are taking your life in your hands.
Florida I-95 is much better to travel on, being 3 lanes most of the way and unlawful for trucks to travel in the left lane.
The place has been ruined by its best place rating, which caused thousands to seek happiness there. But they have only found the problems they were seeking to escape from.
There is an hysteria in this country of trying to find happiness by moving to a new climate.
This is an illusion. It may help a little but won't be a major factor in happiness unless you are coming from a horrible climate.
It appears to be as hot or hotter than Florida without the breezes, and with cold winter temps at night.
My impressions were quite different. BTW, I dreaded being sent to Greenville from West Coast by my company but loved it after living and working there for awhile.

Traffic in Greenville has been very minor for a city of its size although some areas are pretty bad...I try to avoid those areas during high traffic. Most people I know that moved there love it (with a few exceptions) so I don't know how you came up with the conclusion most people don't like it and I don't think that's an accurate assessment.

I consider the climate in that area the best of anywhere in the eastern USA. I hate Florida's hot humid climate that last for months and months but I realize everyone is different so if that's what you prefer, stay in Florida.

I would move to Greenville if it wasn't so far from family in Seattle.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:47 AM

792 posts, read 498,964 times
I agree with Florida Heat.

Woodruff Road
Pelham Road
I-85 from 385 to the Airport
Laurens Road
Cherrydale
White Horse Road (the whole thing)
385 bottleneck at Woodruff Road
Haywood Road
Wade Hampton BLVD
291, especially around Red Lobster/Wade Hampton
Poinsett HYW
123, especially Easley

All nightmares. All full of people who have no idea how to drive. Have no concept of not blocking intersections, going when the light turns green. Paying attention instead of makeup application, texting, mashing that cell phone into their fat face. Drive to the bumper in front of you and stop. Repeat. Why would you look around and be aware of your surroundings?

There are too many people here, and the sooner dumb magazines stop making GSP to be some paradise the better.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 AM

23 posts, read 43,033 times
I'm confused as to why someone "from Florida" would care to post stuff like this.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 AM

23 posts, read 43,033 times
And to confirm my suspicions, looks like they are not content in Florida either. Probably just a complainer. They have posted this exact thing on numerous Florida posts:

"I Have been in Florida for 35 years and it is pathetic. I am in Jax know which at least has a fall season.
The heat and humidity starts in April and doesn't let up till minimum October-November-December.
That means mold, roaches,mosquitoes, fire ants,bad tempers,torrential rain and lightning. The government is corrupt run by developers, which pillage the land and defraud the homeowners.
Highways are undersized which causes continuous traffic problem.
The landscape is a soul killer. Jobs are low paying. Alot of deranged people here seeking paradise.
No sense of community." - Florida Heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area