Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
according to the Visit Greenville website, there are 6 farm to table places in the Greenville area. Greenville SC Farm to Table Restaurants : VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

Personally I don't think that a restaurant has to be farm to table to be a good restaurant, and those types of restaurants are probably pretty pricey. Obviously service, atmosphere, price, etc are factors in how much people like a restaurant.

Here is a list of accolades Greenville has received, some are food related. Accolades : VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source Southern Living, Esquire and other publications have praised Greenville's food scene.

What happens to tourism in Asheville in the winter time? I would think it drops off big time. Greenville has a better job scene which means more business travelers in town, not to mention more people living in the metro.

Comparing the two on google maps, it appears Greenville has more restaurants both local and chain. And chains like California Dreaming and Cheesecake Factory that it does not. For me part of being a food city is more options.
Among the independent restaurants in Asheville, about 36 are farm-to-table. You are assuming that means they are expensive, but they run the gamut of price points. I'm not sure what winter has to do with anything. It's not like the restaurants in Asheville close for the winter. The locals just get in with less of a wait.

AIR Asheville » Type Of Foods » Farm to Table

No, a restaurant doesn't have to be farm-to-table to be a good restaurant, but it is an indication of a certain seriousness about food. Despite Greenville's greater size and number of restaurants, it's not more of a "food city" than Asheville. To be called a "food city" or a "foodie destination", requires something more . . . innovation, experimentation, and execution. A plethora of chain restaurants might offer more options, but it does not a foodie destination make.

Greenville and Asheville have almost the exact same number of restaurants per capita, but the emphasis is different.

It's great that you love Greenville and it's got a lot going for it - a very pleasant downtown especially. I just wanted to set the record straight since you evidently had no concept of Asheville's dining scene. And maybe, just maybe, you could look at this in a positive way - like being glad that you're in driving distance of a true food destination.

And btw, I don't consider myself a foodie; but I sure know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Asheville also gas a huge dirty, hippy, druggie homeless issue in it's downtown. Downtown Greenville blows away downtown Asheville, and it's not even close.
Oh brother.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
there aren't just more chain restaurants in Gville, it has more local places than Asheville.

Gville has made foodie city lists.

it is great that you think Asheville has better restaurants but I think that is a subjective thing. Asheville has good, average and bad restaurants like everywhere else. and we can't all live in Asheville anyway, not a lot of jobs there.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Asheville also gas a huge dirty, hippy, druggie homeless issue in it's downtown. Downtown Greenville blows away downtown Asheville, and it's not even close.
So, I'm going to have to drive to Asheville for pot, pachouli, and a good drum circle too?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:

there aren't just more chain restaurants in Gville, it has more local places than Asheville.

Gville has made foodie city lists.

it is great that you think Asheville has better restaurants but I think that is a subjective thing. Asheville has good, average and bad restaurants like everywhere else. and we can't all live in Asheville anyway, not a lot of jobs there.
Why are we talking about jobs? We were talking about restaurants. Remember? You cast doubt on Asheville's dining scene, and I responded. It was clear you'd never been there.

I don't think Greenville has more local restaurants. The 36 farm-to-table restaurants in Asheville are just a fraction of the overall independent restaurants. Asheville has made more foodie city lists.

Look, I'm not advising you to downplay Greenville; I'm advising you that downplaying Asheville's dining scene makes you look ill informed.

Most Greenvillians consider the proximity to Asheville a perk. I think there is a lot of day-trip travel between the residents of both cities to experience what each has to offer.

No need to be defensive.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:25 AM

i consider being close to the mountains in SC and NC a perk. not Asheville. I don't see what people can do in Asheville that I can't do in Greenville, or Columbia, etc, other than stay at Biltmore estate. I would never drive up there to eat at a restaurant.

i don't care about asheville restaurant scene, you are hyping it up on here. I only said the restaurant scene in Gville is fine and as good as Asheville's, feel free to disagree. The author of the topic is talking about moving to Gville not Asheville. I'm not convinced you are that familiar with Greenville restaurants.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Actually, the live music scene is the thing I miss most after moving back here from the Raleigh Durham area. I generally don't care for the "major" acts that play Clemson or Bon Secours. The Handlebar shutting down was a huge blow to the area in my opinion.
it is surprising Handlebar closed, it brought a lot of Clem students to Gville when I was going there. Fall For Greenville has had bands in the past, I haven't been the last few years. Jump Little Children, Edwain McCain, probably Hootie and the Blowfish. I believe Edwain McCain is playing at a festival in Greer this week.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
i consider being close to the mountains in SC and NC a perk. not Asheville. I don't see what people can do in Asheville that I can't do in Greenville, or Columbia, etc, other than stay at Biltmore estate. I would never drive up there to eat at a restaurant.

i don't care about asheville restaurant scene, you are hyping it up on here. I only said the restaurant scene in Gville is fine and as good as Asheville's, feel free to disagree. The author of the topic is talking about moving to Gville not Asheville. I'm not convinced you are that familiar with Greenville restaurants.
You have expressed A LOT of opinions on the Asheville dining scene despite NEVER having been there or even wanting to go there! Now you are mad that someone corrected your ignorance of the place.

Maybe you shouldn't make comparisons when you ONLY know about Greenville. If you didn't want to hear any real information about Asheville, then you shouldn't have ventured opinions on it.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 AM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You have expressed A LOT of opinions on the Asheville dining scene despite NEVER having been there or even wanting to go there! Now you are mad that someone corrected your ignorance of the place.

Maybe you shouldn't make comparisons when you ONLY know about Greenville. If you didn't want to hear any real information about Asheville, then you shouldn't have ventured opinions on it.
Not too mention this conversion went from there is a good food scene in the GSP area, because you can also take in all Asheville has to offer as well since it is a short drive away, to her staunch defense of all things GSP and attacks on Asheville.

I had no idea the two areas are like sports rivals to each other. Some how as someone who has spent a lot of time in the area and is considering retiring there, I naively thought that the two areas proximity to each was a plus for both and that they complement each other in amenities.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 04-06-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:47 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Not too mention this conversion went from there is a good food scene in the GSP area, because you can also take in all Asheville has to offer as well since it is a short drive away, to her staunch defense of all things GSP and attacks on Asheville.

I had no idea the two areas are like sports rivals to each other. Some how as someone who has spent a lot of time in the area and is considering retiring there, I naively thought that the two areas proximity to each was a plus for both and that they complement each other in amenities.
agreed. as ive stated before, i lived in Greenville for the better part of 9 years and always liked the proximity to Asheville. I thought Asheville had a better music and food and beer scene but it was a short enough drive away that it was nice to get up there a few times a year as a quick getaway. That was my personal opinion, but I embraced having it so close and made it a point to get up there frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area