Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 4,460 times

Advertisements

My family (myself, husband, 2 young kids & 3 dogs) are considering relocating from NJ to the Greenville area for husband's job. We'll likely end up in Simpsonville, renting a home the first year, giving ourselves time to learn the area and make sure we are sold on staying long term, then buy. My parents who are retired and in their 60's MIGHT want to follow us...so my research for them has begun.

Wondering if anyone can recommend any active senior communities or towns to focus our search on in the surrounding Greenville/Simpsonville area?

Also, can anyone recommend any areas to check out east of Greenville, closer to the coast that would also be senior-friendly? Not being from there or familiar with the area, it is tricky to know just where to look and the internet is more quick to show the fancier, pricier golf resort type communities (which is not what I'm looking for). Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2831 View Post
Also, can anyone recommend any areas to check out east of Greenville, closer to the coast that would also be senior-friendly?!
How close to the beach do your parents desire to live? Greenville, SC is 3+ hours to Charleston, SC and 4+ hours to Myrtle Beach.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,460 times
My father would like to be within 10 minutes, my mom is more flexible. I guess my question (since I don't know and have never been) is: are there areas 'near' (within say 30 minutes of the coast/beaches) that fit the bill as far as affordability, things to do for active seniors, near shopping/restaurants? I'm ok if they go that far east, as 3-4 hours is still closer than NJ. Thanks

Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
here is a list of the ones in SC. South Carolina Active Adult Communities

the Woodside one in Aiken is pretty middle class. Aiken has a nice downtown, 30 minutes from Augusta GA, and 2 hours from Greenville and 2 hours or so to Charleston and the beach. I think it would be more fun to retire in Greenville area even if not in an active adult community due to the proximity of the mountains.

You may want to look at HOA neighborhoods in Greenville, many of which has social events. THe Pebble Creek neighborhoods and Half Mile Lake seem to have a strong sense of community and social events at the golf course club, and they are 10 minute to downtown and right next to Paris MOuntain.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Here is one in Greenville near downtown and the hospital called Swansgate https://www.55places.com/south-carol...ties/swansgate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area