Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,666,970 times

Advertisements

National weather service issued an air quality alert for the second day in a row. What's up with that? Why is our air quality poor here? Have you experienced anything like lung distress? Asthma attacks?

I know our air quality is poor here compared to other areas due to the coal that is burned for our electricity. Is it just pollen making it worse than normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 AM

7,261 posts, read 4,660,080 times
We are in a textbook "Omega" Block so all the air and weather currents are going up, over and around the southeast states. That's why TX got the flooding yesterday and we're dry thru Thursday or Friday. So stagnant air if you will. Air will clear out when we get our next weather system late this week. Pattern is supposed to slowly start breaking down today.

You can visually see this in earlier water vapor loop GIF image here:
https://twitter.com/anthonywx/status...387849728?s=03

And also here: https://twitter.com/anthonywx/status/721654982903230464

And also visualized here (from April 14 but still relevant) :
https://twitter.com/wxbrad/status/72...954631680?s=03

Also helped explained here:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/lmk/pdf/rex_block.pdf

Last edited by Psychoma; 04-19-2016 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Added additional links

Old 04-19-2016, 02:10 PM

690 posts, read 1,150,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
National weather service issued an air quality alert for the second day in a row. What's up with that? Why is our air quality poor here? Have you experienced anything like lung distress? Asthma attacks?

I know our air quality is poor here compared to other areas due to the coal that is burned for our electricity. Is it just pollen making it worse than normal?
Coal? I've never heard of that. Where's the coal plant? I mean we have a Nuclear plant on Lake Keowee so why would coal be used? Just curious. First time I've heard of coal being used for Upstate electricity.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,478,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Coal? I've never heard of that. Where's the coal plant? I mean we have a Nuclear plant on Lake Keowee so why would coal be used? Just curious. First time I've heard of coal being used for Upstate electricity.
I have not seen any coal plants either.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:40 PM

11,714 posts, read 24,853,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
There isn't one. He's just confused. Our electricity comes from the Oconee Nuclear Power Plant which uses uranium not coal.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:16 PM

We get electricity from Asheville's big coal plant.

Last edited by Hobo7396; 04-19-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 03:29 PM

5,688 posts, read 5,932,349 times
Quote:
Oh Anderson has a coal plant and we get electricity from Asheville's big coal plant. Like 50% or more of our electricity in SC comes from coal.
Your referring to W.S. Lee Steam Station which closed in 2014?

That was the only one in the upstate of SC. The cost of maintaining the plant was enormous, and it was shut down.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:44 PM

Sc coal plants

BREDL - Coal-fired Power Plants

NC coal plants

https://www.duke-energy.com/power-plants/coal-fired.asp

Old 04-19-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Your referring to W.S. Lee Steam Station which closed in 2014?

That was the only one in the upstate of SC. The cost of maintaining the plant was enormous, and it was shut down.
Oh I didn't know that one closed, thanks.

https://www.duke-energy.com/power-pl...-fired/lee.asp

Don't we still get a lot of our electricity from coal? It used to be the majority which kept our electricity prices here really low, but at the cost of dirtier air.

answer:

Electricity Price, per kWh.
8.28¢ 21st lowest.
South Carolina has below average electricity prices (16 percent lower) and the third lowest gasoline prices in the United States. More than half of South Carolina's electricity is generated by nuclear power plants and another 35 percent comes from coal-fired power plants.

So coal is a pretty big factor, but yes, nuclear supplies the most by percent.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:03 PM

5,688 posts, read 5,932,349 times
Quote:
Oh I didn't know that one closed, thanks.

https://www.duke-energy.com/power-pl...-fired/lee.asp

Don't we still get a lot of our electricity from coal? It used to be the majority which kept our electricity prices here really low, but at the cost of dirtier air.

answer:

Electricity Price, per kWh.
8.28¢ 21st lowest.
South Carolina has below average electricity prices (16 percent lower) and the third lowest gasoline prices in the United States. More than half of South Carolina's electricity is generated by nuclear power plants and another 35 percent comes from coal-fired power plants.

So coal is a pretty big factor, but yes, nuclear supplies the most by percent.
I dont think its technically closed. I know they are/were going to convert one of the steam gennys to NG.

Most of the upstate gets its power from Keowee Toxaway, Some of the very northern regions may get some out of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area