Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times

Advertisements

If you made purchases in the Simpsonville area, your debit card may have been hacked. We were hacked!! When I talked to the bank about it the guy said they have had several calls already about it in the area, so check your accounts!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:40 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
My Wells Fargo debit card number was hacked by somebody a few weeks ago, they withdrew over $1200 from my account in the Fayeteville NC area, including 200 plus dollar purchases at Victoria Secret and a shoe store, Jazz or Jazzy something. Wells Fargo notified me that day because I also used my card the same day in Greenville, and my debit card was cancelled and they have reimbursed me.

They must have waited a 8 weeks or more to use my number because I moved back to the Pelham Road area near Haywood. I was living out there near Fairview Road and that is where I made most of my purchases.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,051 times
Do you have a guess where your card may have been compromised (gas station, grocery store, etc.)?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Do you have a guess where your card may have been compromised (gas station, grocery store, etc.)?
It was either the Bank of America or the 7/11. But when I called BoA, the guy told me that they have had 15 or 16 calls just yesterday from other customers. He wouldn't say where others were compromised. BoA is /was pulling video from the ATMs to see if possibly someone put a card reader on one of those machines. I'm waiting on 7/11 now since they spent $100, or used the ATM there. If they find anything, it will be turned over to the police.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
I believe it was the 7/11 as well. I went in there after midnight several times, and there was only one person working. It would be easier for him or her to make a copy of my card with nobody else around. The 7/11's staff at night were not clean cut people in my view and lazy compared to the Quick Trip cashiers.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:12 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
This is why I'm starting to use my debit card less and using a rewards credit card more. I have the card set up to pay automatically the balance each month. Credit cards are safer. I have a setting that warns me of large purchases and I can also see what is happening on my app which I monitor frequently.

If you have financial discipline, I would try that method over a debit card.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:16 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,589 times
I'm ok, but I did get a call from Citibank earlier this week asking me if I had applied for a new credit card. I had not, so they declined the application. They also put a seven year fraud protection thing on my credit report which gives me a little peace of mind..

Dunno if its related to anything else thats going on in Simpsonville, but you guys might want to look into fraud protection yourselves if you haven't already.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
This is why I'm starting to use my debit card less and using a rewards credit card more. I have the card set up to pay automatically the balance each month. Credit cards are safer. I have a setting that warns me of large purchases and I can also see what is happening on my app which I monitor frequently.

If you have financial discipline, I would try that method over a debit card.
BoA does this with debit cards, (At least they have with me.) thats how I knew something was wrong. Got an email, phone call and text all at the same time.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I believe it was the 7/11 as well. I went in there after midnight several times, and there was only one person working. It would be easier for him or her to make a copy of my card with nobody else around. The 7/11's staff at night were not clean cut people in my view and lazy compared to the Quick Trip cashiers.
Ill agree with you on that! Only problem is at QT, the pumps are almost always full, and I can be in and out of 7/11 faster most of the time. Ive only gotten gas a QT twice I think, and had to wait the first time almost 10 minutes, but that was within the first week or two they opened. I would have thought the "fad" would have wore off by now, but no matter what time of day I go by, its packed.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I'm ok, but I did get a call from Citibank earlier this week asking me if I had applied for a new credit card. I had not, so they declined the application. They also put a seven year fraud protection thing on my credit report which gives me a little peace of mind.
Depending on who processes the credit application, they frequently miss the fraud alert flag. A credit freeze with the 3 credit bureaus is a solid lock that gives great peace of mind. (With a bit of extra work to temporarily unfreeze if you need to apply for any credit yourself)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area