Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 02:39 PM

49 posts, read 60,355 times

Advertisements

Are there any secular private schools which have a reputation for a strong academic program? I'm looking for something starting first grade.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 02:44 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,299,513 times
Most of the private schools in this area are religious in nature. The public schools in the area tend to be good so there isn't a big demand for secular private schools. Maybe one of the Montessori schools would be what you are looking for?

Old 06-24-2016, 03:47 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,295,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer97 View Post
Are there any secular private schools which have a reputation for a strong academic program? I'm looking for something starting first grade.
What city are you seeking secular private schools in?

Old 06-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Carolina Knight: In Greenville (or Greer/Simpsonville). Sorry, I should have said.
WhitewaterVole: Thanks, yes we will consider Montessori.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,664,067 times
You could look into the Green Charter School. I've heard mixed things about it. Not sure how secular it is but it doesn't pretend to be a Christian or Muslim school, despite requiring Turkish language and the principal is of the Muslim faith.

I would encourage you to find a good to excellent rated elementary school in the public school system. They are not allowed to share anything spiritual in the public schools. The schools are good enough in Greenville that it would be wasteful to send a child to a private secular school. You'd be paying for public schools via your property and state taxes as required by law and then paying for school again to a private school.

District - South Carolina Department of Education

Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Thanks Hobo. Actually, I'd love for my daughter to go to a public school. Unfortunately, she's already completed kindergarten where we used to live, but is a few weeks too young to enroll in a Greenville public school first grade. I really don't want her to repeat kindergarten, hence we are considering a private school.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:46 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,670,614 times
You can try Carolina Prep on Roper Mountain Road. Goes from a 6 weeks after birth to 5th grade. No inculcation of religion at all. All inclusive including food as part of the tuition fee paid.

They will allow people born after Sept 1st to go into the higher grade if testing shows they are academically and emotionally prepared. The strong academics will allow kids graduating to enter top middle schools.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,664,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer97 View Post
Thanks Hobo. Actually, I'd love for my daughter to go to a public school. Unfortunately, she's already completed kindergarten where we used to live, but is a few weeks too young to enroll in a Greenville public school first grade. I really don't want her to repeat kindergarten, hence we are considering a private school.
Check into Legacy Academy, too. They offer a first grade program there. It's mainly a pre-school, but my daughter saw some progress there. It's expensive and the public school will be free to you.

I personally don't think repeating kindergarten would hurt your daughter. I took a year and a half of kindergarten and I do very fine.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:45 PM

Thanks Hobo and kamban. I'll check those schools out.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 PM

423 posts, read 899,967 times
Downtown Greenville Preschool | Haynsworth Private School

K-3 through 3rd grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area