Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 23,291 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am new to posting here, however I have been following this forum for quite a while now. I am looking for recommendations / advice on new construction subdivisions in the Greenville - Spartanburg area. I am considering a move to the area and will be planning a fact finding / house hunting trip in March or April and I need some help narrowing down which subdivisions / areas I should focus my search on.

I have been looking in the South East Greenville area, Simpsonville and possibly Greer areas but I am open to suggestions. The area around Trader Joes off Woodruff road seems to have much of what I am looking for in an area, but to be honest, I am a bit overwhelmed...Greenville / Spartanburg seems like a very spread out area and I am not quite sure where to start.

Some background - I am mid 30s, divorced and no kids, so schools are not a factor. I would be working from home and would be looking to purchase a new construction home anywhere from 1400 - 1900sqft for 300k or less. I would be moving here from Phoenix, AZ and I am used to having shopping options close by, so I would like to be close to shopping and dining, preferably I would like to have grocery stores and target or Walmart + some dining options within in 10 miles or less from where I am living. I would also like to find an area that is fairly close proximity to a quaint downtown type of area or an area with some type of nightlife. Honestly coming from Phoenix where everything is very built up, I don't want to feel like I am moving to the middle of nowhere, nor do I want to drive 15 miles if I want to get takeout or go to a store.

I am interested in the following subdivisions - Would they fit my needs, do they have easy access to shopping and dining, are they in safe areas? Any insight, opinions or recommendations would be appreciated!

Legacy Park - 200 Ranch Rd. Greenville, 29607
Jones Mill Crossing - 602 Torridon Ln. Simpsonville, 29681
Riverstone - 210 Spokane Dr. Simpsonville, 29680
Creekside Manor - 100 Foxbank Circle, Greer, 29650
O"Neal Village - 121 Noble St. Greer, 29651

Disclaimer - I am not set in stone on Greenville area, if there are other areas within the Greenville Spartanburg area that may fit my needs please let me know! I am open to suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 07:38 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycakes127 View Post
...Greenville / Spartanburg seems like a very spread out area ...

That sums the area up pretty well. Others will chime in, and searching existing threads here will get most of your info. Just a note: 185 is a toll road (i85 and 385 are not), Phoenix has heat, but the Southeast has heat + humidity/dewpoints in summer, make sure you're ok with that.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:34 PM

Thank you for replying. I am not too worried about adapting to the heat and humidity. I am originally from PA which is also very humid, albeit less warm than Greenville. We do have dry heat in Phoenix, however, dry or not, Phoenix had the hottest summer on record this year - 50 days of 110 or more which was brutal. I am guessing the while summers in Greenville may be slightly unpleasant, they do not last for 7 months as the heat in Phoenix does, correct?

Regarding my initial post - Upon further research I think I have ruled out Greer as it seems to be too far from shopping / dining / downtown Greenville. I am now focusing my search on the SE Greenville, Mauldin & Simpsonville areas. I am specifically interested in the subdivisions below. I would love to know if anyone has toured any of these communities or is familiar with their location in relation to dining, shopping and downtown. Any insight would be appreciated!

Ridge Park - 1820 Ridge Rd, Greenville, SC 29607
Legacy Park - 200 Ranch Road. Greenville, SC 29607
Harrington - 622 Whittier Street. Greenville, SC 29605
Riverstone - 210 Spokane Dr. Simpsonville, SC 29680
Adams Mill - 115 Adams Mill Road. Simpsonville, SC 29681
Griffin Park - 100 Carruth Street. Simpsonville, SC 29680
Holliston - 6 Ashborne Lane. Simpsonville, 29681
Jones Mill Crossing - 602 Torridon Lane. Simpsonville, SC 29681

Old 01-30-2021, 06:56 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Hi Kittycakes- all of those are fine, as far as proximity to shopping, etc. with the exception maybe of Harrington. However, that will change. That area is rapidly being developed and new stores are planned nearby. Anywhere in Simpsonville will be close to what you need. I was going to chime in on Greer; while much of it is pretty, with mountain views, it is too remote for many people I talk to.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:17 PM

404 posts, read 380,576 times
Simpsonville is less remote than Greer? How does it compare in size/sprawl to Greer? Does Simpsonville have a nice downtown like Greer?

Old 02-01-2021, 06:58 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Simpsonville is less remote than Greer? How does it compare in size/sprawl to Greer? Does Simpsonville have a nice downtown like Greer?
Greer is a weird animal; parts of it are very suburban, and it does have a nice downtown. We love eating at Thai Vegan and then walking in the park. However, Greer also extends north with beautiful mountain views, but that part is pretty rural, and my clients from the North find it too country and too far from shopping.

Simpsonville has a cute downtown, with the railroad tracks running down the center. A few good restaurants there, and more coming, but it does not have as much as Greer. However most people who move to Simpsonville move to one of the numerous new and newer construction neighborhoods, which are all pretty convenient to shopping, either on Fairview Rd or Woodruff, not to mention the new shopping on W. Georgia Rd.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:27 AM

103 posts, read 128,902 times
I would encourage you to take a look at Taylors (that's where I have lived my entire life). There are a number of subdivisions under construction here. One comes to mind - Lincoln Park - that would check many of your boxes: new build, the right size homes, under $300k. It's about 5 minutes off of Wade Hampton Blvd, which puts you squarely in the middle between downtown Greenville and downtown Greer (and thus lots of dining/grocery/shopping options). Maybe 15-20 minutes from downtown Greenville. Also might be worth looking at Ryders Ridge...a little further from Wade Hampton but very quite, and near Lake Robinson.

Added benefit: Taylors is unincorporated, meaning your taxes will be significantly lower - to the tune of several hundred dollars a year.

Also...if you talk to most people from the upstate, Woodruff Road is despised. Traffic congestion, while not the likes of a big city, is pretty bad. For some reason every retailer and restaurant have thought for years that they need to build on Woodruff road, and every time a new business opens there, there is a collective sigh and eye roll on these forums (it is overbuilt).

Taylors, to me, is the best of both worlds. It's not crazy congested and overbuilt and you have quick access to Highway 25, which shoots you straight to the mountains (a world of things to do up there). And yet, still convenient for shopping, entertainment, and such.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,843 times
Hi, I am also new to this forums. I am also looking to move to Greenville from New York. I was hoping we can be friends and exchange ideas or maybe become long term new Greenville friends, lol. Have you been in the area in person to check it out? Are you looking to live alone or save some money and get a roommate? I am driving to Greenville to tomorrow for 3 days to get an idea of the neighborhoods and area. Good Luck on your move!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd087 View Post
I would encourage you to take a look at Taylors (that's where I have lived my entire life). There are a number of subdivisions under construction here. One comes to mind - Lincoln Park - that would check many of your boxes: new build, the right size homes, under $300k. It's about 5 minutes off of Wade Hampton Blvd, which puts you squarely in the middle between downtown Greenville and downtown Greer (and thus lots of dining/grocery/shopping options). Maybe 15-20 minutes from downtown Greenville. Also might be worth looking at Ryders Ridge...a little further from Wade Hampton but very quite, and near Lake Robinson.

Added benefit: Taylors is unincorporated, meaning your taxes will be significantly lower - to the tune of several hundred dollars a year.

Also...if you talk to most people from the upstate, Woodruff Road is despised. Traffic congestion, while not the likes of a big city, is pretty bad. For some reason every retailer and restaurant have thought for years that they need to build on Woodruff road, and every time a new business opens there, there is a collective sigh and eye roll on these forums (it is overbuilt).

Taylors, to me, is the best of both worlds. It's not crazy congested and overbuilt and you have quick access to Highway 25, which shoots you straight to the mountains (a world of things to do up there). And yet, still convenient for shopping, entertainment, and such.
Thank you so much! I will look into the Taylor area as well. Lower taxes are always a plus!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:58 PM

Thank you to everyone who posted replies. It sounds like I am on the right track. What is the weather like in late February - Early March? I am thinking thats when I will be planning a trip to the area.

A few other questions - do I need to have a screened in porch on my house there? I mean will I get eaten alive by bugs / mosquitos if I don't?

Also, what are the best restaurants (non-chains) in the area for Mexican food / Tacos and Korean or Vietnamese food? And what are some of the best grocery stores (i.e good selection, nice shopping experieince?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area