Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:28 PM

5,677 posts, read 5,907,426 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a place in the area that could authenticate some sports memorabilia, and issue a Certificate of Authenticity on the items? Have some stuff autographed I would like to have verified if I were ever to sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,308,060 times
Which specific area are you seeking a sports memorabilia store?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,643,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Does anyone know if a place in the area that could authenticate some sports memorabilia, and issue a Certificate of Authenticity on the items? Have some stuff autographed I would like to have verified if I were ever to sell them.
Honestly if you're looking to sell one day you should try, in my opinion, a more nationally recognized name in lieu of a local shop. Anyone can print a peice of paper that says they say something is authentic. Depends what type of memorabilia though too (cards, balls, jerseys, etc) and where you plan to sell (here locally, internet, a show somewhere else, through a third party seller, etc).

I would highly recommend PSA, leading third party grader and authenticator of sports cards and some types of memorabilia. They usually cost more then other businesses but can be worth it for an interested buyer to have their name associated with it and if its an item you beleive could garner a higher price. I've always stuck with them and Beckett for authintication and third party grading services. I've mainly just delt with sports cards but PSA does do other memorabila as well.

I do know that some shops in the past will submit your items to those services for you if you don't want to hassel with trying to package them correctly for shipping, etc. Don't know if local shops around here do that or not.

PSA Services:
PSA and PSA/DNA Services

PSA website:
Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) & PSA/DNA Authentication Services

Beckett Grading Services:
Beckett.com
and
JSA Services

Old 07-25-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Which specific area are you seeking a sports memorabilia store?
Preferably anywhere in the upstate, but I could drive a little ways.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Honestly if you're looking to sell one day you should try, in my opinion, a more nationally recognized name in lieu of a local shop. Anyone can print a peice of paper that says they say something is authentic. Depends what type of memorabilia though too (cards, balls, jerseys, etc) and where you plan to sell (here locally, internet, a show somewhere else, through a third party seller, etc).

I would highly recommend PSA, leading third party grader and authenticator of sports cards and some types of memorabilia. They usually cost more then other businesses but can be worth it for an interested buyer to have their name associated with it and if its an item you beleive could garner a higher price. I've always stuck with them and Beckett for authintication and third party grading services. I've mainly just delt with sports cards but PSA does do other memorabila as well.

I do know that some shops in the past will submit your items to those services for you if you don't want to hassel with trying to package them correctly for shipping, etc. Don't know if local shops around here do that or not.

PSA Services:
PSA and PSA/DNA Services

PSA website:
Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) & PSA/DNA Authentication Services

Beckett Grading Services:
Beckett.com
and
JSA Services
Thanks but I'm not willing to ship these items to anyone, they are not only one of a kinds, but mean too much to me at the moment to risk losing them in the system. One is a dollar bill, a real 1 dollar bill, signed by Dale Earnhardt, Sr, and I also have a photo of the late Davey Allison I made in 1990 that I had autographed by him, just a few days before he died. HE complimented me on the pic, and remembered me taking it.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:32 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,643,182 times
I understand. I would then recommend one of PSA's in person grading they do throughout the year but I think St Louis is the closest they'll be this year. But then again also I'm not sure how much NASCAR items PSA and Beckett look at. May be better to go elsewhere in this case.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,321,901 times
Hold them.

Those items have FAR more sentimental value to you than you likely think they're worth.. Sad to say.

Davey's autograph goes from $300 to $500 pending on what it's on and condition. Far less if it's a personalized autograph.

Earnhardt is in the $500 to $700 range.

Remember that the market is fairly well saturated with autographed items from them, even though they've been dead for about 25 years in Davey's case (Don't that make you feel old?) and 15 years for Earnhardt.

I've got a Mickey Mantle autographed baseball.. I'd be extremely lucky to get $200 for it. He signed like a machine. My Bob Feller autographed ball is worth more than the Mantle because there are fewer Feller autographed items out there.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Hold them.

Those items have FAR more sentimental value to you than you likely think they're worth.. Sad to say.

Davey's autograph goes from $300 to $500 pending on what it's on and condition. Far less if it's a personalized autograph.

Earnhardt is in the $500 to $700 range.

Remember that the market is fairly well saturated with autographed items from them, even though they've been dead for about 25 years in Davey's case (Don't that make you feel old?) and 15 years for Earnhardt.

I've got a Mickey Mantle autographed baseball.. I'd be extremely lucky to get $200 for it. He signed like a machine. My Bob Feller autographed ball is worth more than the Mantle because there are fewer Feller autographed items out there.
I DO NOT plan on selling them anytime soon. Just planning for the future, in case something happens. Lost my best buddy expectantly a couple of weeks ago, and his wife has no clue where to begin with his personal items. He has more than me, but most of his, if not all, is really just "junk" not worth much, by the book she has with the items in it.

My Davey pic with his autograph was actually quite an accident. Way back when there was a hospitality village at Charlotte, outside of the turn 1 and 2 area, he was leaving from there, and jumped the fence. I asked for a pic and he stopped and smiled and I took it. He said something to the effect of "I hope I didn't break the camera". That next Monday I took the film to get developed and it came out great. I cant remember where it was he was coming to, but I went, with that pic. Once he signed it, he looked up and remembered me taking it and what he said and all. He just signed it Davey Allison #28.

My DE dollar bill, well, remember when they came to the "Expo Center" whatever its called now? I stood in line for 3 hours to get his autograph, and completely forgot to pick up my autograph book, and didn't realize it until I was almost up to him. All I had was a dollor bill, and a 50 dollar bill, and I sure wasn't going to let him sign the 50! As I sat it down, he grabbed it like he was going to put it in his pocket, and joked about it. I saw him at Darlington like 3 years later, and as we walked by he said "Hey dollar bill man!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area