Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,814 times

Advertisements

Only congress can pass laws and remember it's been in Republicans hands for a good bit now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 AM

144 posts, read 140,114 times
$125/month just for myself, 30/50 co pay for the dr/urgent care visit, think $1,000 deductible, which I never meet, cause I only go to the dr, when I really have to, I'm from Europe and the service is horrible, plus they charge you for EVERYTHING, in Europe, health insurance was part of the taxes, so no co pay or anything, miss those days!

Old 08-15-2016, 04:28 PM

94 posts, read 111,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
$125/month just for myself, 30/50 co pay for the dr/urgent care visit, think $1,000 deductible, which I never meet, cause I only go to the dr, when I really have to, I'm from Europe and the service is horrible, plus they charge you for EVERYTHING, in Europe, health insurance was part of the taxes, so no co pay or anything, miss those days!
Yeah, but since you do go so infrequently, you are probably paying less now than when you were paying high taxes in Europe to cover it.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 PM

635 posts, read 754,766 times
I was blessed to be insured through Tricare (military spouse) which meant free healthcare and had about $300,000 worth of surgeries completely paid for.

Now that I don't have Tricare, I have a $1200 deductible and pay around $130/month for medical, dental, vision through my employer and have BCBS.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
While health insurance is part of the taxes in Europe, health care spending is lower and outcomes better.

U.S. Health Care from a Global Perspective - The Commonwealth Fund

Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Let's hope no one here will be affected by Aetna pulling out of South Carolina next year.

Quote:
Aetna Inc. will withdraw from 11 of the 15 states where it currently offers plans through the Affordable Care Act exchanges, becoming the latest of the major national health insurers to pull back sharply from the law’s signature marketplaces after steep financial losses.
Apparently UnitedHealth is also leaving.

Aetna to Drop Some Affordable Care Act Markets - WSJ

Old 08-16-2016, 05:02 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly (I'm medicated, LOL), then seeing as how I'm a tax-payer, you're right, I am paying it -- I just never thought about it like that, before. I'm actually helping to subsidize my own ACA health insurance and everyone else's, but I don't mind because I know what it's like to truly be sick and not be able to get the level of care you need -- or even get a health insurance policy (or life insurance policy) because of pre-existing conditions.
The subsidy masks the true cost of the policy.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm in the same boat, it's just that it's my employer paying the subsidy. Obamacare was supposed to lower the cost of health insurance. It's a miserable failure. It just spread the cost out over more people.

The point is that health insurance is crazy high. I go to the doctor 4 times a year for monitoring of high blood pressure, migraines and anemia.. That costs about.. $400 a year if I was paying it out of pocket. But, what gets billed back to insurance is more like $1000.

I don't have a problem with the subsidies. I disagree with them being the way to go.. Frankly.. I'd rather see a single payer system.. Just pull the damn trigger on it.. But, my requirements would be to find someone who is non-partisan to make the rules and that it be independent of the government because they can't manage Medicare right.. So who thinks they could administer a single payer system right?

I'm fine with limited coverage of birth control (Co-pay on the pill.. Coverage for IUD or similar done at a Dr's office.. It shouldn't pay for rubbers and the like).. No coverage of abortion without medical necessity.. No coverage of MOST cosmetic procedures.. For those things, there can be supplemental coverage.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I don't have a problem with the subsidies. I disagree with them being the way to go.. Frankly.. I'd rather see a single payer system.. Just pull the damn trigger on it.. But, my requirements would be to find someone who is non-partisan to make the rules and that it be independent of the government because they can't manage Medicare right.. So who thinks they could administer a single payer system right?
Single-payer is government run, by definition.

I recently helped an older relative navigate through a medical crisis, and Medicare was unbelievably easier than what I have to deal with using a private insurance company. She didn't have to do a thing except go to the doctor visits, and Medicare paid for it all.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Single-payer is government run, by definition.

I recently helped an older relative navigate through a medical crisis, and Medicare was unbelievably easier than what I have to deal with using a private insurance company. She didn't have to do a thing except go to the doctor visits, and Medicare paid for it all.
Government PAID. Not necessarily government run.. Now.. How to set up that clear dividing line is still a question.

I'm not saying Medicare is difficult from a patient perspective.. but.. There's almost a billion a year in waste. Now, expand it 3 or 4 times to cover the whole population..

Old 08-17-2016, 12:34 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm not saying Medicare is difficult from a patient perspective.. but.. There's almost a billion a year in waste. Now, expand it 3 or 4 times to cover the whole population..
...and you have about one days worth of the Iraq War cost.

And everyone in the US has convenient, paid for medical care.

Seems worth it to me.

(plus... we can work on getting rid of the waste, if we want to. Our politicians don't have much motivation to really end the waste because their donors are the beneficiary of that waste. It's not incompetence, it's deliberate.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area