Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 05:44 AM

624 posts, read 696,303 times

Advertisements

Dollar General continues to capitalize on the failure of the Walmart Express stores by opening several of their stores in the former Walmart buildings.

Each store will feature:

-Fresh meats
-Produce
-Frozen foods
-Dairy
-Gas pumps

It appears the pharmacy is not being retained from the old Walmart Express.

The grand opening of the 12,000 square foot Gray Court store is October 7. I will be visiting and posting pictures and a full review.

The Gray Court location was open as a Walmart Express for exactly 1 year from January 28, 2015 until its closure January 28, 2016.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 AM

4,624 posts, read 6,083,980 times
Interesting! Meats at the dollar store. I would have to proceed with caution there. Funny about where I buy meats but that's just me.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:21 AM

5,692 posts, read 5,948,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Funny about where I buy meats but that's just me.
Me too! But this will fill a void that's been needed since WalMart closed. Hopefully with the extra room will keep it from looking so cluttered. Plus with the addition of having gas, maybe prices will be a little more competitive, once this latest catastrophe is over.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:58 AM

94 posts, read 111,835 times
It sounds like this will actually be a DG Market. I've only ever seen one of them before, in Haines City FL. If I remember correctly, the meats and produce were of decent quality. I seem to remember the chicken being Perdue. Again, I was only ever in there once, and it was probably 4-5 years ago, but I had the same cocnerned about quality, so it stands out that the chicken was fine.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:20 PM

17,702 posts, read 15,427,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
Dollar General continues to capitalize on the failure of the Walmart Express stores by opening several of their stores in the former Walmart buildings.
I'd disagree with Walmart Express being a failure, at least in that location. Overall, the concept could work, as evidenced by the Gray Court location. And obviously, DG is making a run at the exact same concept in select locations. Walmart's vision of the concept may have failed because of the fact that they had bad locations for some (most?) of them.

October 7th?.. They need to boogie. That'll be cutting it close. No signage, the store is still totally bare inside (No shelving, coolers or anything from what I saw)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Interesting! Meats at the dollar store. I would have to proceed with caution there. Funny about where I buy meats but that's just me.
Yeah.. I'm the same mindset, but.. I'll give them a chance. I mean, after all.. They're not going to be selling pet-grade meat or anything.

It will fill the food desert in the Gray Court area. Walmart pulled a crappy move there. When they opened, at least 3 locations closed down.. Linda's Grocery (Which.. was an interesting place), the "Brick Store".. I don't recall the exact name of it.. UpstateJohn might.. The one next to Exxon. And the mexican/latin market in town a few doors from the antique shop (Which also closed, though not related to Walmart).. Then, after running all those places out of business.. They pull up stakes.

Personally, the walmart was a great thing for me. I get off work around 7pm and would go to the gym, then on my way home, around 8:30pm or so, stop at the Walmart and pick up whatever meat was expiring that day for dinner. And, if they didn't have any on markdown, I'd get what I felt like having. I can't think at 9am when I'm getting ready to go to work what I'll want for dinner, and if I did, it'd probably change.. So, I can't freeze things well because I can't thaw them and be sure that's what i'll want. so, the ability to pick something up right then is perfect for me. I've probably put on 10 pounds since Walmart closed mainly due to picking up fast food when I'd normally just swing by there and pick something up to cook.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:18 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,388,746 times
Default Dollar General, 9032 Highway 14, Gray Court, South Carolina 29645-4151

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post

Each store will feature:

-Fresh meats
-Produce
-Frozen foods
-Dairy
-Gas pumps

It appears the pharmacy is not being retained from the old Walmart Express.
Having fresh meats and produce, I am assuming this Dollar General will have produce and meat service departments.

Dollar General and other dollar stores, excluding Fred's, do not have pharmacies.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:23 AM

Default Walmart Express #1250, 9032 Highway 14, Gray Court, South Carolina 29645-4151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd disagree with Walmart Express being a failure, at least in that location. Overall, the concept could work, as evidenced by the Gray Court location. And obviously, DG is making a run at the exact same concept in select locations. Walmart's vision of the concept may have failed because of the fact that they had bad locations for some (most?) of them.
It appears Walmart Express #1250 did well for convenience, pharmacy, and fuel. If Walmart waited about five more years, a Walmart Neighborbood Market supermarket would be doable.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM

5,692 posts, read 5,948,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

October 7th?.. They need to boogie. That'll be cutting it close. No signage, the store is still totally bare inside (No shelving, coolers or anything from what I saw)..

Yeah.. I'm the same mindset, but.. I'll give them a chance. I mean, after all.. They're not going to be selling pet-grade meat or anything.

It will fill the food desert in the Gray Court area. Walmart pulled a crappy move there. When they opened, at least 3 locations closed down.. Linda's Grocery (Which.. was an interesting place), the "Brick Store".. I don't recall the exact name of it.. UpstateJohn might.. The one next to Exxon. And the mexican/latin market in town a few doors from the antique shop (Which also closed, though not related to Walmart).. Then, after running all those places out of business.. They pull up stakes.

Personally, the walmart was a great thing for me. I get off work around 7pm and would go to the gym, then on my way home, around 8:30pm or so, stop at the Walmart and pick up whatever meat was expiring that day for dinner. And, if they didn't have any on markdown, I'd get what I felt like having. I can't think at 9am when I'm getting ready to go to work what I'll want for dinner, and if I did, it'd probably change.. So, I can't freeze things well because I can't thaw them and be sure that's what i'll want. so, the ability to pick something up right then is perfect for me. I've probably put on 10 pounds since Walmart closed mainly due to picking up fast food when I'd normally just swing by there and pick something up to cook.
Ropers. Kinda hard to stay open selling 2$ coffee to the locals in the morning, and not offering much of anything else. I know Linda, she retired.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 AM

17,702 posts, read 15,427,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It appears Walmart Express #1250 did well for convenience, pharmacy, and fuel. If Walmart waited about five more years, a Walmart Neighborbood Market supermarket would be doable.
I don't know about that.. Remember, Gray Court is only about 1000 people. Now, the outlying areas where it would still be closer to go there than Laurens or Simpsonville.. There's some numbers there, but I'm not sure enough to support a full-size Neighborhood Market. Though, I'm not sure if they have multiple sizes of those. So.. I don't think going full size would have been a good thing, but, I wont' totally discount it, either.

That store could have been a smidge bigger.. It was rather tight walking around in it.. But they were never missing anything that I needed.

UpstateJohn.. Ropers doesn't sound right to me.. Sure we're talking about the same place?

This one.. https://goo.gl/maps/wg6v5Dwaa9D2

Wow.. Look in the sky in that image. lol.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:11 AM

Gray Court should enter a residential building boom in a few years. Its population would quickly increase from 1,000.

Fountain Inn will be growing as southern Simpsonville builds outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area