Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:50 PM

607 posts, read 1,407,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all-
Are any of you familiar with a good women's self-defense course in the area? Maybe even something done by law enforcement that also teaches about being aware of surroundings, situations, etc. Our daughter is a teen and we think that it would be a good idea for her to have that. We would prefer something that doesn't last more than 6 weeks, meeting once or twice a week. When I do a search, a lot of the martial arts schools come up, but that is not what we are looking for.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 06:36 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,044,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Hi all-
Are any of you familiar with a good women's self-defense course in the area? Maybe even something done by law enforcement that also teaches about being aware of surroundings, situations, etc. Our daughter is a teen and we think that it would be a good idea for her to have that. We would prefer something that doesn't last more than 6 weeks, meeting once or twice a week. When I do a search, a lot of the martial arts schools come up, but that is not what we are looking for.
Thanks in advance!
The martial arts schools would be your best bet IMO.. Some of them run self defense courses that are separate from their main classes. There are a handful of Brazilian Ju-Jitsu and Krav Maga schools around, check with them..

Old 09-18-2016, 04:55 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,670,411 times
I think the police or sherriff may run some of these type courses from time to time, or know of places that do. Maybe call the non-emergency line and see if they have information on these.

When she is old enough, a concealed carry permit may be something worth considering. A course in gun safety might also be in order. She can carry a firearm in her car, in a glove box even without this, but proper training and practice would be key to have. Of course, a can of pepper spray might also be effective.

The problem with women learning the martial arts is that can only be so effective if the attacker is much larger or stronger or meaner.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:48 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,966,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
When she is old enough, a concealed carry permit may be something worth considering. A course in gun safety might also be in order. She can carry a firearm in her car, in a glove box even without this, but proper training and practice would be key to have. Of course, a can of pepper spray might also be effective.

While I don't condone violence, and I'm not a gun hoarder, I agree with this. Some people are totally against guns, and that's fine, I have no problem with that. Not to mention the inconvenience of carrying sometimes, pepper spray or mace is a good alternative. A hand held taser is a good option as well. Now having said that, theres nothing wrong with good basic self defense. Sometimes we don't think when put into certain situations and have to use our instincts, and a self defense class would be good for that.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:06 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,600,670 times
I teach my wife self-defense & one of the things that I have learned is that you can't teach just anyone man or women how to defend themselves. some just don't have in in them to fight someone off, which I believe it's better for those to have a gun.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,485,819 times
Most police departments have officers who's main job is community relations. Why not call them directly and see if your department or one in the area has a program. If not, see who they might recommend.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,670,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I teach my wife self-defense & one of the things that I have learned is that you can't teach just anyone man or women how to defend themselves. some just don't have in in them to fight someone off, which I believe it's better for those to have a gun.
So true.

Us guys were required to wrestle in middle school back in the day. Maybe it would help if girls got the same training.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:16 PM

Thank you so much for all of the input!

I think that getting her introduced to general personal safety and self defense, and taught some maneuvers, would be the place to start. From there, when she is a little older, I would love for her to be good with a gun and have a concealed carry permit.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:35 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,044,684 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HFsyBG95rg

Old 09-19-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post

I like it! Will research! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area