Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 03:13 PM

126 posts, read 138,617 times

Advertisements

Great information...I really appreciate everyone's input. Looks like I clearly have a few key places to check out when there. I agree Sharky09 that a daily commute to/from Clemson would get old fast and we really aren't interested in that (less time in car=more time being active).

There might be a new job opportunity for my wife at Furman which would be just great for living in the TR or Half-Mile lake area. She would love to bike to work every day. Much of what we decide will depend on where she can land a full time job in higher ed there.

@esd087:
We are very familiar with WNC and Dupont, Brevard, Pisgah, etc. We have been biking/hiking them many times for 15+ years which is why we want to be in the area so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 03:22 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,304,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde1 View Post
Great information...I really appreciate everyone's input. Looks like I clearly have a few key places to check out when there. I agree Sharky09 that a daily commute to/from Clemson would get old fast and we really aren't interested in that (less time in car=more time being active).

There might be a new job opportunity for my wife at Furman which would be just great for living in the TR or Half-Mile lake area. She would love to bike to work every day. Much of what we decide will depend on where she can land a full time job in higher ed there.

@esd087:
We are very familiar with WNC and Dupont, Brevard, Pisgah, etc. We have been biking/hiking them many times for 15+ years which is why we want to be in the area so bad.
If one spouse ends up at Clemson and the other finds a job in Greenville, you can also live between the two places with each person having a reasonable commute. The Powdersville area has excellent schools and is under 30 minutes to Clemson and is even closer to Greenville.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If one spouse ends up at Clemson and the other finds a job in Greenville, you can also live between the two places with each person having a reasonable commute. The Powdersville area has excellent schools and is under 30 minutes to Clemson and is even closer to Greenville.
We actually where talking about the Easley/Powdersville area for that reason but didn't know if that area was sort of "suburb-sprawl" with no quick escape to outdoor stuff after work? We will have a look though.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
We actually where talking about the Easley/Powdersville area for that reason but didn't know if that area was sort of "suburb-sprawl" with no quick escape to outdoor stuff after work? We will have a look though.
To be honest, there isn't a lot of outdoor after work stuff in that area. There was land bought for a park in Powdersville (which is in Anderson County) but it's never been developed. There is a park in Easley but it's mostly just baseball fields. They have built a new greenway that connects Easley to Pickens that is 8 miles and is pretty nice. There are plans to build another greenway in Easley but I think it's waiting on a federal permit since it goes through a wetland.

There is a pretty awesome mountain biking terrain park at Town Creek park in Pickens.

The closest real hiking and mountain biking is going to be at Nine Times Preserve just north of Pickens or Issaqueena near Clemson.

You could buy a flatwater kayak or stand up paddle board and paddle after work at Lake Saluda.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:13 AM

@WhitewaterVol:
I appreciate the info. If we end up in the Upstate we will definitely be buying some kayaks for all the great water there.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
@WhitewaterVol:
I appreciate the info. If we end up in the Upstate we will definitely be buying some kayaks for all the great water there.
If you do move here and want to try out kayaking (flatwater or whitewater), check out Foothills Paddling Club. It's a very supportive group of folks.

Also check out Sunrift outfitters in Travelers Rest - some really knowledgeable and helpful people there. They sell biking, hiking, backpacking, and paddling equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area