Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times

Advertisements

The Caine Halter (formerly Cleveland Street) YMCA is one of the best Y's I've experienced - it was renovated ~2008 - I've been a member there for more than 6 years and it's well worth the membership rate (yes, it can be expensive)

One word of caution: you need to be careful in choosing a Greenville/Upstate neighborhood if you plan to utilize the public school system - yes, there's "school choice" but that's no guarantee your child will attend their preferred school - remember, inexpensive home prices are cheap for many reasons (crime, public schools, proximity to DT, etc)

Last edited by drfranklin; 11-27-2016 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 10:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
I go to the Sportsclub gyms. They have 3 facilities in the Greenville area. Their oldest one is on Congaree road near Haywood Mall. It has a large tennis complex with clay courts. Their newest gym is in the Five Forks area off Woodruff Road. I think a case could be made this is the nicest one in the state.

Sportsclub| Fitness and Wellness| Greenville SC here is link to the club.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 7,135 times
Awesome, thank you so much for everyone's detailed repsonces. I looked up the Kroc Center and the Y's and they look much nicer than what I've been working with here. I'm excited to check out your city on Wednesday! We are going to drive around the above neighborhoods mentioned and then we want to bring the kids to the children's museum and the Simpsonville light show. Any must try restaurants? They don't have to be healthy, just want to make sure I have those options once we move

Old 11-27-2016, 04:12 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Roper Mountain Science Center also has a great light show.
We are somewhat of a foodie town; do you have a type of food or a price range in mind? Also some of the places that come to mind are not that kid-friendly; I assume you will be bringing the kids?

Last edited by BigRedBeth; 11-27-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2016, 04:30 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
not sue where you are going in FLorence but there are definitely nice fitness centers down there, like the McLeod Health and Fitness Center. https://www.mcleodhealth.org/mrmc-fl...ss-center.html. i would say that rivals anything you will find in Greenville.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 7,135 times
We love all types of food at any price range but we will have the kids with us so nothing too fancy! McLeod is very nice but we go to the Y here because there's a lot more options for the kids and a much cheaper membership. The Y in Greenville looks much nicer than the Y here.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:59 AM

Soby's is my favorite, and I think they do have a kids' menu, but might be too fancy. Tupelo Honey is great, and certainly kid friendly. The Lazy Goat is Mediterranean-themed but fairly casual, so could be good for well-behaved kids. Trio has pizza and other Italian fare, and is definitely more casual. I like Smoke on the Water, and the kids might like the menu there. So many choices here!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:48 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Pita House (great "Middle Eastern", best falafel I've ever tried)
Bangkok Thai on Haywood (best Thai in the Upstate; moved from their poor location on Pelham)
Saffron (best Indian in the Upstate)

Hopefully Falls Park will have better waterfall action by Wednesday (the Upstate has been in a significant drought for months)

I'd advise checking the major shopping venues in the area: Haywood Mall, Downtown Greenville/West End, Magnolia Park, Shops at Greenridge, The Point (Whole Foods, REI, etc), "Augusta Road"

Of course, check Yelp and TripAdvisor for other suggestions

Last edited by drfranklin; 11-28-2016 at 06:59 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 08:05 AM

The restaurants listed above are actually my 3 favorites in the area. I was thinking you'd want to eat downtown, but if you will be exploring outside of that area I agree wholeheartedly with Drfranklin.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Most of the elementary schools in the area are good. Schools seem to decline as you move up to the high school level so I'd recommend looking at areas zoned for good high schools and then working backward to check the middle and elementary school assignments.

Some of the more highly regarded high schools include (in no particular order): Wade Hampton, Eastside, Riverside, Blue Ridge, Mauldin, and Mann in Greenville County. You may also want to consider Anderson District 1 schools in NE Anderson County (convenient to Greenville) which include Powdersville and Wren. In Western Spartanburg County (still relatively convenient to Greenville), Byrnes High School is also good.

The state school report card website is a good resource: Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education
It's mostly based on standardized test scores so it doesn't give the full picture you want but can be helpful to eliminate poorly performing schools. They changed the format for the most recent one and I don't think it is as useful but they do have an archive with several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area