Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,069 times

Advertisements

I am able to work from home anywhere in the US and want to be closer to parents that are starting to have health issues. I am moving from East Dallas with a house on 2 acre and love everything about the state. I have two big dogs so will need more than a half acre and would love to have mountain views.

I have visited the area and was really excited about the move until a Relator gave me a link to a crime map and I saw all the dots. This led me to do more online research about the about the Greenville/SC state in different sites and blogs, but feel confused and nervous about the move.

Crime seems high compared to Dallas, I have read in other posts that it is incorrect.
Is there really high corruption in the police department in Mauldin and Greenville?

What is a safe community to buy a house. I am looking at houses on line in Travelers Rest, Tigersville, Greer, Taylor, Inman, Lyman, Woodruff, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn, and Williamston. What areas should I steer clear of?

My husband can do manufacturing, CNC operator and welder. From my searches there is a wealth of jobs for his skill set.

How are the hospitals and Doctors in the area? I read a post on a different site that stated the hospitals were terrible and to go to Ashville instead. I have a history of Cancer so I want to be within 90 min of a good hospital if possible.

Are there really a major issue with black ticks?

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Crime stat reports are ridiculous. I lived in Greenville area for over 23 years and had no problem with crime. Is there crime? Yes, but I can't believe it would be worse than Dallas and it usually involves those who look for it (i.e. your into some bad things). The hospitals and doctors are great in my opinion. I can't imagine that St. Francis Cancer center would be anything but good. I don't know where you heard the hospitals and doctors were terrible. I'm not sure on Inman and Lyman or Woodruff, but Travelers Rest, Greer, Taylors and Simpsonville are all good.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:12 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,626,810 times
Crime maps do not give an accurate picture of this area. often only actually covering a tiny tiny footprint of cities here. Coming from near Dallas I'm sure you'll feel plenty safe here. Biggest crime to me seems to be people strangely leaving their cars unlocked for thieves to rummage through.

Yes the Upstate of SC (i85 corridor/top left portion of state) overall is considered a manufacturing area so plenty of jobs in those fields.

The biggest health provider here I believe is Greenville Health. I think every hospital anywhere has 'horror' stories. Not sure what's available for cancer treatment here but I believe it is around. You're also within 90min of options such as Charlotte, and Asheville. Outside of that I guess would be AtlantaGA, Winston-Salem NC and Raleigh, NC areas for medical care outside of here.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoltexas View Post
Crime seems high compared to Dallas, I have read in other posts that it is incorrect.
Is there really high corruption in the police department in Mauldin and Greenville?
Someone posted a link to a ratings site a few weeks ago that had these claims - I saw that there were a large number of both upvotes and downvotes on many of the items, which means that some or all of a particular post is biased.

The police departments in the area are not plagued with corruption, and it's pretty minimal from the news stories that I recall. In fact, Greenville is notable in that the city and county police have a good working relationship and share resources and knowledge as appropriate. This benefits everyone. In Mauldin traffic enforcement seems strict to some but no corruption to speak of. Simpsonville has had political problems in the past few years regarding the police chief, but no major corruption.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
I am going to agree with all the posters above about crime. It's nothing compared to the crime maps. Don't let it scare you. We have used GHS since we have lived here and can't be more than happy with the care and professionalism we have received. My dh was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and the care has been superb. I just had surgery at GHS for woman stuff and they did a great job. No complaints about the medical care here whatsoever.

All the places you mentioned are fine.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
If you are looking at living out in the country to get more land, you may want to try to have your husband secure a job first. Some of the places you mentioned (i.e. Travelers Rest, Williamston, and Tigerville) could potentially be a long commute to some work locations.

I agree that crime here is probably pretty low compared to a large metro like Dallas. Most crime here is concentrated in certain areas that are easy to identify and avoid. A lot of the reported crimes are related to drugs or domestic issues, much like anywhere else in the US. I've got a lot of family that has lived in the area forever and the only crimes I've ever heard discussed were minor property theft that could have easily been prevented by putting valuables behind a locked door. Even then, it's not a common occurrence.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 5,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If you are looking at living out in the country to get more land, you may want to try to have your husband secure a job first. Some of the places you mentioned (i.e. Travelers Rest, Williamston, and Tigerville) could potentially be a long commute to some work locations.

I agree that crime here is probably pretty low compared to a large metro like Dallas. Most crime here is concentrated in certain areas that are easy to identify and avoid. A lot of the reported crimes are related to drugs or domestic issues, much like anywhere else in the US. I've got a lot of family that has lived in the area forever and the only crimes I've ever heard discussed were minor property theft that could have easily been prevented by putting valuables behind a locked door. Even then, it's not a common occurrence.

Thank you for your thoughts. Living in Dallas/Ft Worth a normal commute with traffic is an hour to 2 hours depending on weather. Commuting an hour to 90 minutes will feel normal. When I moved from Lincoln, Nebraska to Dallas the thought of commuting more than 15 min was scary, but god created amazon audible and now we get my best meditation done in the car.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:35 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,626,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoltexas View Post
... Commuting an hour to 90 minutes will feel normal...
Then commuting from Duncan/Spartanburg into Greenville or vice versa along i85 will work still at peak traffic (always heavier heading into Greenville). They're currently in middle of construction redoing the I-85/I-385 interchange in Greenville so hopefully that will improve a little in about two years.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:15 PM

32 posts, read 72,687 times
As someone that moved here from Lufkin, Texas I'd say the crime here is probably the same as central and east Texas. There are stupid people everywhere. I will say if you can believe it the people here are nicer in Greenville than Texas. I love Texas but SC just has it all in a smaller package.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,197 times
The rank and file populations of SC and TX are very like minded.That may be good or bad, depends on your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area