Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

If Wade Hampton High School should be renamed, I would advise Sevier High School in honor of the World War I United States Army Camp Sevier and military officer John Sevier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Wade Hampton High School should be renamed, I would advise Sevier High School in honor of the World War I United States Army Camp Sevier and military officer John Sevier.
Paris Elementary is located on the Sevier army camp's location but they still went with Paris.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
I may revisit Camp Sevier for another discussion in regards to its location and its history.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:54 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Ok, I'm ok with Sevier High School too. It will sound like Severe High School though if I'm not mistaken on the pronunciation.

How about renaming the school Poinsettia or Poinsett High School after John Poinsett the botanist that lived in Greenville. He introduced the poinsettia to the US after seeing it in Mexico. Poinsett Highway isn't far away.

The poinsettia is supposedly the most popular potted plant in the States.

Poinsett actually died on the way from his Charleston home to his Greenville retreat called The Homestead.

I was unable to determine if he owned any slaves, but he did oppose the secession movement.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-16-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Wade Hampton High School is not in the city of Greenville. I do not the see the logic of naming a school after a mayor of Greenville outside Greenville's city limits.
Seriously...come on. No one is thinking about it that hard. City limits or not, it's "Greenville." I bet many people aren't familiar with Max Heller, and for the people that are, I doubt theyd make a stink over it being named after him on the basis of arbitrary human-drawn geography.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
But there are people that still support the idea of oppression and slavery. Those are the ones that are fighting all of this.
Yeah, there's still people who think the world is flat, that there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll and that we never went to the moon. They're called idiots. You ignore them.

You, of course, realize that slavery in the world today all pretty much happens in Africa?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...mporary_Africa

Effort would probably be better spent trying to put an end to that than changing the name of a high school. I wouldn't particularly be concerned with someone who owned slaves 150 years ago over the people who own them today. In most of those cases.. Not a white man to be involved. And certainly not a 150 year dead white man.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM

5,488 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, there's still people who think the world is flat, that there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll and that we never went to the moon. They're called idiots. You ignore them.

You, of course, realize that slavery in the world today all pretty much happens in Africa?

Effort would probably be better spent trying to put an end to that than changing the name of a high school. I wouldn't particularly be concerned with someone who owned slaves 150 years ago over the people who own them today. In most of those cases.. Not a white man to be involved. And certainly not a 150 year dead white man.
Still don't want to be reminded of it daily. I don't live in Africa and wasn't born there. Slavery and racism that happened in this country to my ancestors is what I'm concerned with. Hell, I've experienced the ignorant racism myself at a younger age. It's ignorant and unreal. If you haven't experienced it then it's hard for you to understand. Those that don't take issue with maybe should have an opportunity to experience it though. Would open some eyes.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Slavery in Africa has nothing to do with Americans.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:08 AM

604 posts, read 583,760 times
I'm so glad that they're taking down all of these statues, and renaming things. While we're at it, all of the founding fathers were slave owners, including George Washington. Although he allegedly had mixed feelings about slavery, there's no evidence that his slaves were any better off than others. He did provide for them to be freed after his death- I guess that makes it OK. Do we rename the city? The state? Slavery, as awful as it is, is part of our history, much like the slaughter of the indigenous people that were here first. Do we make it 'go away', but attempting to re-write history?

Old 05-17-2017, 06:04 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
I don't like a lot of things about history either but I am not sure it's a good idea to go around and try to erase history by removing statues and renaming things. Isn't there a famous quote " Those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it".

I would like to know how grads of WHHS that have diplomas from there and fond memories of their school feel about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area