Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,853 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am currently living in Las Vegas NV, and am looking to relocate to the Greenville area. I have a few questions about the upstate to find the best area for me. Let me start off by saying I lived in the Low Country for a few years. Greenville seems to be great for me based on location, climate, and close proximity to the mountains. From the research I've done I feel the upstate would be a good fit. I currently live in Vegas , I love the outdoor's here, and the weather but absolutely hate the city and would never want to stay here long term, or raise a family here.

I am conservative, and would prefer a conservative area. I Don't like the ultra liberal west coast/California influence in Las Vegas. I am looking for an area with low crime, And quiet. I prefer to be in a more rural area with close proximity to the city. I am in my early 30's and want to be somewhere that I can stay long term so good schools would be a plus. I prefer an area that is predominantly white (no offense and I don't need negative comments but this is what I want). I also want an area that people are friendly and have some values (as I live in Vegas now, I have never seen such rude people anywhere). As for housing I'd like to buy something probably under 200k. It seems as if you can get a pretty nice house in the area for that price. Any suggestions on suburbs that would meet this criteria?

Job wise, I am currently an accounts manager for an electronics company. I've also had a background in finance, sales, and managing a Las Vegas resort. I'm pretty flexible with what I can do for work. How is the job market in Greenville? Thanks, and looking forward to some insightful information.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:56 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,428,332 times
Do you plan to work and reside in the Greenville area?

Old 05-21-2017, 07:02 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,891,754 times
Check out Travelers Rest.Also the rapidly growing Powdersville area.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,628,703 times
I nearly did the opposite of you(/your family?) 2 years ago - I was planning a move to LV (Summerlin specifically) when an another opportunity opened here locally. (For NV, I love Reno as well - what a breathtaking area). The public schools were a concern in LV - I believe the public schools in Greenville are better (but not entirely sure - LV as some great charter schools and LV is much bigger than Greenville in its available school choices).

IMO, Las Vegas sits in the ideal spot in the Southwest for amazing day/weekend trips (CA, UT, AZ) of which nothing compares to on the East Coast. Additionally, LV's weather overall is fantastic with the exception of 8-10 weeks during the summer; however, there is no humidity like the high summer humidity of SC.

Conversely, for the East Coast, Greenville sits in a great area for day trips especially if one enjoys mountain activities (NC Mountains; Asheville; etc) - the waterfalls immediate north of Greenville are visually stunning.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I nearly did the opposite of you(/your family?) 2 years ago - I was planning a move to LV (Summerlin specifically) when an another opportunity opened here locally. (For NV, I love Reno as well - what a breathtaking area). The public schools were a concern in LV - I believe the public schools in Greenville are better (but not entirely sure - LV as some great charter schools and LV is much bigger than Greenville in its available school choices).

IMO, Las Vegas sits in the ideal spot in the Southwest for amazing day/weekend trips (CA, UT, AZ) of which nothing compares to on the East Coast. Additionally, LV's weather overall is fantastic with the exception of 8-10 weeks during the summer; however, there is no humidity like the high summer humidity of SC.

Conversely, for the East Coast, Greenville sits in a great area for day trips especially if one enjoys mountain activities (NC Mountains; Asheville; etc) - the waterfalls immediate north of Greenville are visually stunning.

I agree 100 percent about Vegas being in an ideal spot, and nowhere in my opinion will have weather as nice as LV. I actually like the summer heat here. I am usually exploring the beautiful areas that surround LV every weekend, everywhere from Valley of Fire and Death Valley to Zion. As for living here though it's different. Summerlin is a nice area, I live in Henderson. Summerlin and Henderson are the two nicest parts of the valley imo but they also come with a cost. I pay $1650 a month for a nice 3 bedroom apartment, and housing prices are extremely high right now. These endless subdivisions that all look the same are very overpriced. Schools here are ranked as the worst in the country, and I think anywhere would be an improvement in that category.

Speaking of Reno I'm taking a camping trip up to Tahoe next weekend. It's very pretty up there but I wouldn't want all of that snow. I'm from PA orig. so bitter cold winters aren't for me lol.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Do you plan to work and reside in the Greenville area?
Yes, I would want to work in the Greenville area. I don't mind a 30-40 minute commute. How is the job market? I've seen quite a few places rank Greenville very high for livability.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,428,332 times
Your background in finance, sales, and account management should help you find similar positions in Greenville.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 AM

958 posts, read 2,628,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Your background in finance, sales, and account management should help you find similar positions in Greenville.
Yes, but salaries here are likely less than you're used to in LV.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:51 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,319,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina2112 View Post
Hello,
I prefer an area that is predominantly white (no offense and I don't need negative comments but this is what I want).
Maybe a time machine to take you back to 1950 is in order. I don't have any constructive advice for anyone so overtly racist.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:53 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,375,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Maybe a time machine to take you back to 1950 is in order. I don't have any constructive advice for anyone so overtly racist.
Lol. And Greenville has different races. Many are "black" like me. My friends will tell you, that you couldn't find a better person than me. Being black didn't ruin me I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area