Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2006, 06:50 AM

698 posts, read 2,842,131 times

Advertisements

Before our 2007 trip to the Upcountry we're trying to get a picture of the geography in the G'ville area, mainly so that we know which areas to explore for a home.

We're in FL so no mountains here to gaze at but years ago I went to Scottsdale Arizona a few times and loved the view of Camelback Mountain that you had from almost every vantage point in the city.

I've seen some wonderful pics of G'ville up close but I wish there was an aerial photo somewhere to see the city and its backdrops. Anyone know of a photo source for wide-angle city views?

Are there places to live in Greater G'ville that offer a mountain view? The city itself seems quite tight re: housing and I know that the outskirts include areas like Greer, Easley and Travelers Rest.

Which of these towns should we look into for a house with open spaces and a mountain view? It doesn't have to be atop a steep slope among the trees but one that has a view would be great.

I know this may sound ignorant, like someone asking about beach views in So FL but without a video to watch we're pretty clueless.

Thanks kindly in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 10:13 AM

90 posts, read 443,281 times
Taylors area near Lake Robinson and Milford Church Rd was a beautiful area. We used to live up there and had beautiful views of Glassy Mtn. After a rain, and the clouds were still hanging around the mountains, it always reminded me of Hawaii. Other good areas: Tigerville, Mountain View, Pleasant Hill, etc. Any areas off Hwy 11, 101, some of 25 around Traveler's Rest, Hwy 14. Lots of little cities and towns off these roads that have great mountain views.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catschmidt View Post
Taylors area near Lake Robinson and Milford Church Rd was a beautiful area. We used to live up there and had beautiful views of Glassy Mtn. After a rain, and the clouds were still hanging around the mountains, it always reminded me of Hawaii. Other good areas: Tigerville, Mountain View, Pleasant Hill, etc. Any areas off Hwy 11, 101, some of 25 around Traveler's Rest, Hwy 14. Lots of little cities and towns off these roads that have great mountain views.
Hey Catschmidt, what's the deal with the gypsy people in Travelers Rest? Is this a problem for the locals?

Old 12-05-2006, 10:23 AM

90 posts, read 443,281 times
I don't live in that area so I cannot say. I have heard several reports of (some say) gypsies running a 'racket' with stealing from older folks in the TR and mountain areas tho'. They'll go to a mobile home or small home of an elderly person and tell them they can pave their driveway or repair their homes and in order for them to do this they will "require" several hundred dollars as a deposit and the elderly person will give in and give them the money and the person says they'll return with a 'crew' tomorrow and start work, and of course, they never show. My friend's mother fell for one of these tricks. She claims they were gypsies. She lived off the 25 somewhere up in TR.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:31 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
Before our 2007 trip to the Upcountry we're trying to get a picture of the geography in the G'ville area, mainly so that we know which areas to explore for a home.

We're in FL so no mountains here to gaze at but years ago I went to Scottsdale Arizona a few times and loved the view of Camelback Mountain that you had from almost every vantage point in the city.

I've seen some wonderful pics of G'ville up close but I wish there was an aerial photo somewhere to see the city and its backdrops. Anyone know of a photo source for wide-angle city views?

Are there places to live in Greater G'ville that offer a mountain view? The city itself seems quite tight re: housing and I know that the outskirts include areas like Greer, Easley and Travelers Rest.

Which of these towns should we look into for a house with open spaces and a mountain view? It doesn't have to be atop a steep slope among the trees but one that has a view would be great.

I know this may sound ignorant, like someone asking about beach views in So FL but without a video to watch we're pretty clueless.

Thanks kindly in advance!
I quite liked the terrain in TR -that's most likely where we'd wind up if we move.

Call up 'GOOGLE EARTH'; a program that will give you a dimensional view of almost anywhere...

Old 12-05-2006, 02:04 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,001 times
I lived in TR and Greer, and are now building again in the TR area.

In real general terms, anything north of Hwy29 will have good potential for mountain views. There are also lots of places in town that give these same views. It's more a matter of getting up to a high enough elevation with nothing in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area