Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb View Post
This is the best answer on the racial component. I never understood why the North wants to make it seem as if the South is just the most segregated, backwards place ever when I actually find the opposite. It is much more segregated up north than south. We may segregate along the lines of cultural preferences which can be inclusive of all and anyone. Example, I'm an artsy type of person, that's the community I choose to associate with.
It gives them an excuse to pat themselves on the back and feel better about themselves.. Just another version of the "We're better than you" syndrome IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 AM

7 posts, read 8,572 times
For those of you who live in Mauldin, how's the job market there? What a good area to live in where the commute to greenville (for jobs) wouldn't be bad? I'm sorry I'm posting here but this post seem to be really helpful being that I am African American and this was a concern as well.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:25 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressljs View Post
For those of you who live in Mauldin, how's the job market there? What a good area to live in where the commute to greenville (for jobs) wouldn't be bad?
Mauldin, Simpsonville, Easley, Greer, etc.. Or you might even like living in Greenville itself. I live in Simpsonville and am happy, but sometimes I wish I was a little closer to downtown.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressljs View Post
For those of you who live in Mauldin, how's the job market there? What a good area to live in where the commute to greenville (for jobs) wouldn't be bad? I'm sorry I'm posting here but this post seem to be really helpful being that I am African American and this was a concern as well.
There isn't anywhere in Mauldin that would be a bad commute into Greenville. You can get to downtown Greenville in less than 30 minutes from pretty much anywhere in Mauldin, Simpsonville, Taylors, Greer, Travelers Rest, Easley, Powdersville, Pelazer, or Piedmont. Of course, most places to work aren't in downtown Greenville but for the most part, commuting in the area is a breeze compared to what you get in larger cities. There is some minor congestion on I-85 and I-385 at certain times of the day but it's pretty mild compared to larger cities.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:26 PM

58 posts, read 64,687 times
We just moved to the area from Michigan about 6 months ago. My oldest attends Riverside High and it is very diverse. Just yesterday, he and 8 other boys hung out all day. They came from 3 different races and income levels from free/reduced lunch all the way to well over 6 figures. They spent 8 hours together with absolutely no issues. I think your family will fit in just fine here!

We live in Sugar Creek which is in Greer and I can't tell people enough how much we absolutely LOVE this neighborhood. It is extremely family friendly and we haven't met a neighbor we don't like yet!

Old 06-14-2017, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,147 times
Check out GreatSchools: School Ratings and Reviews for Public and Private Schools which rates all the schools. I live right by Wade Hampton, moved here from ME, and the school is excellent.
Ed

Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdNadeau View Post
Check out GreatSchools: School Ratings and Reviews for Public and Private Schools which rates all the schools. I live right by Wade Hampton, moved here from ME, and the school is excellent.
Ed
Great Schools only uses a very limited set of data. You're really better off looking through multiple years of the SC state school report cards to get a better idea of school performance over time. That prevents any single year from having an undue influence. The state report cards also show all of the data in a very transparent way instead of just assigning a number based on an unknown formula. The newer state report cards don't have as much data but if you look at several years, the older ones (2014 and earlier) show a ton of data:

2016 - South Carolina Department of Education

Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Great Schools only uses a very limited set of data. You're really better off looking through multiple years of the SC state school report cards to get a better idea of school performance over time. That prevents any single year from having an undue influence. The state report cards also show all of the data in a very transparent way instead of just assigning a number based on an unknown formula. The newer state report cards don't have as much data but if you look at several years, the older ones (2014 and earlier) show a ton of data:

2016 - South Carolina Department of Education
I so agree! Drives me nuts when clients come to me with a list of schools from the Great Schools site and will only consider homes that feed into schools with a top score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area