Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times

Advertisements

actually I don't live in greenville. I am planning on relocating there from north carolina. I have visited though and I think that you are correct that there are going to be a good number of transplants. not sure if there are more in one area than in another though. I like a diverse area! when I was there I met a guy who had just moved there from portland oregon. people seem to come from all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,781 times
Well it sounds like a well balanced city. Good quality of living, realitively safe, great housing, progressive but still conservative enough for my taste.
I like a diverse area as well. After all, that is what makes the world go round......
Good luck with your future plans!
I'll keep you posted if we decide to move there!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,516 times
the rec dept has inline hocky for kid's www.gcrd.org/inlinehockey.html and there is Adult Hockey at the pavilion.
If you want your kids to play Hockey you may want to look into maybe forming a class for kids! In The South Hockey is not that big of a sport, due to the fact that ponds RARELY freeze,at least not enough to skate. There is a new league for teens lacross that has recently formed.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,781 times
Thanks southerngentleman.
My husband coaches our son's team right now......so that may be an option. I haven't completely "dug" into it, but I was under the impression from USA Hockey website that they had youth minor ice hockey league there already? hummm.......I'll have to research that a little further.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 12,054 times
Default Northerners

The neigborhodd I live has 7 families originally from the Midwest, not quite Canada, but close. I am from Michigan, so a huge Red Wings fan! I grew up watching the Leafs and the Wings beat each other up. There are a lot of nice to live in Greenville... Easley/Powdersville, Greer, and beautiful older nieghborhoods throughout the city of Greenville.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
from my understanding, it is due to lack of profit. the team did good for the first couple of years but then attendance dropped. I really hope that doesn't happen to the baseball team because they invested a lot of money into a really nice stadium. I am sure that you will be able to find a hockey league there. supporting a youth league is much easier than a minor league team!
Attendance was not the real issue, but rather a problem with the funding as it was tied into the original arena costs. I attended regularly and thought it was absolutely awesome. There were usually a decent amount of spectators watching. Hopefully we will once again have hockey in Greenville someday.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 AM

5 posts, read 19,573 times
Hey there Acadian, thanks for considering our area!

A little background on me: I'm from all over the place and invariably say "eh" without actually being Canadian. Be you Canadian or anyone else, do check us out. I've lived in Greenville for the last 14 years and the city has grown tremendously in size and diversity. You won't be the only Canadian, I promise, lol. I know at least one other Canadian. I just bought a new house in Taylors- oddly. My preference was to buy something downtown, I drove to the house on a whim and moved in 9 days later. The four neighbors I have right now are from Greer, Greer, NJ and W.VA. So, yes, we have lots of out of towners moving in! It's great for our economy and certainly gives the area more character! So, come on down!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
from my understanding, it is due to lack of profit. the team did good for the first couple of years but then attendance dropped. I really hope that doesn't happen to the baseball team because they invested a lot of money into a really nice stadium.
It's very unlikely we would lose the baseball team, unless it was to a bigger team! This is much more a baseball town than hockey, or any other sport really. The attendance has been setting records since the first game...and attendance increased during the second season as well.

I do hope we get hockey back, though. It was a lot of fun to watch. I could care less about basketball or arena football...I wasn't surprised at all to see those go. (the Groove and Riverhawks)

Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,520 times
To the OP, this doesn't really apply, but it's neat anyways. Greenville High (and maybe other schools...not sure) has been doing an exchange the last few years with Canada. I was never able to do it (graduated 2006) but I met a few of the students. Last summer some friends and I took a trip up to the Montreal Jazz Festival, and then headed over to Ottawa to stay with one of the friends from the exchange. It was lots of fun, and they were all great people!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 AM

23 posts, read 91,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
haha
Good........."Ya'll" have a great sense of humour! (humour is spelled with a "U" in Canada......by the way)
I think I would like it just fine.

My igloo might melt so I'll have to think "aboot" moving into a regular house....and I'll have to bring a LARGE supply of maple syrup to hold me over until my next trip back to Canada.........but I'm sure I'll survive........since you all have an "Ice" Hockey rink there.........you can't be too bad! LOL
Hi - I am also from Canada..Winnipeg to be exact and I live in Inman, SC which is only about 1/2 hour drive from Greenville. We have lived here for 3 years...what would you like to know about this area..I could give you the scoup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area