Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 AM

30 posts, read 21,851 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if the Greenville area has much of a running scene? Are there any running clubs and/or nearby trails well suited for running?

Appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM

387 posts, read 330,856 times
And how! Greenville Track Club should be your starting point but some of the running stores such as Run In and Fleet Feet also have group runs and training groups. Furman also has a group through their FIRST program that does interval training sessions.

During most of the year there are multiple races every weekend from 5k to longer distances and many runners preparing for marathons.

The climate and varied terrain here is great for runners, though in the summer that does mean some early starts to avoid the heat.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 AM

Nice! Thanks for the info. I don't have any immediate plans of moving, but I'm doing my research so we can make an informed decision should we chose to move when our high schooler graduates in a couple years. My wife is an avid runner (I run too, but don't have her natural ability) so this is one of the "must have's". Greenville does seem to check off many of the boxes.

You mentioned varied terrain...are there many trails? I know the mountains are somewhat nearby and there are sure to be trails there, but we're spoiled now with a highly rated mountain bike trail system to run on that's about 15 minutes from our home.

Regardless, having an avid, competitive running community is a huge plus!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:28 PM

The best-known trail is the Swamp Rabbit Trail which goes from north of Traveler's Rest through downtown Greenville and on to a point south of Greenville Tech, then a gap, before recommencing near Lake Conestee. The SRT is a former rail line that has been paved so is great for running and cycling, albeit with a few major roads to cross.

There are (unpaved) hiking/mountain-biking trails at Paris Mountain State Park and at Lake Conestee. Many parts of the City of Greenville have good sidewalks or quiet residential streets that are good for running. In the County it can be a little hit or miss. Often newer neighborhoods have sidewalks, but many older ones don't, and there are often busy roads between them with no sidewalk and little to no shoulder.

The local running community is everything from very competitive runners to people who take 40+ minutes to "run" a 5k. There are groups at all levels of ability.

Oh, and by varied terrain I meant there is a good mixture of flat, rolling, and hilly terrain to run on.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:37 PM

182 posts, read 350,695 times
There's also an excellent trail system at Croft State Park near Spartanburg.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:59 PM

Thanks for all of the detail, Downtown! Thanks for the clarification as well. It is nice to have both flat and hilly surfaces for training purposes. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply!

And thanks Flop, that does look like an amazing set of trails! Good to know there is something that extensive in the area. I haven't really looked into Spartanburg that much yet, but this might prompt me to do so.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:56 PM

There are also cycling groups out of the bike shops, cool weekly group rides down at Donaldson Center during the warmer months, and serious rides up to places like Caesar's Head.

Trail runners can take advantage of other options in the area such as state parks like Jones Gap and Table Rock.

I really think Greenville is a good community for people who like outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area