Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 05:50 AM

90 posts, read 104,173 times

Advertisements

Our recently (relatively) purchased home in Taylors, which is in an older subdivision, has a wood stake in the ground with a fluorescent ribbon attached. The stake is at the front where the property line would be. The neighbor says that it is the boundary marker that was place by the surveyor.

Is it common practice in SC to use wooden stakes (pine) to mark the corner of a property? Where I come from an iron pipe is common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,635,252 times
My guess is it would depend on the company doing the survey. My neighborhood has always used the wooden stakes and colored ribbon atop. The stakes usually rot out within 1-3 years it seems. Sometimes they'll also tie the ribbons to tree branches along the line (wooded area). I have seen them also put a metal rod in the ground driven down to flush with the ground and then the wooden stake beside that, supposedly to make finding the location easier next time.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:21 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,893,184 times
That's just a temporary marker. There should be a metal stub, AKA REBAR, in the ground.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 AM

90 posts, read 104,173 times
OK, thanks!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:30 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,873,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
That's just a temporary marker. There should be a metal stub, AKA REBAR, in the ground.
This. The original surveyor would have put in a metal pipe.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:14 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,557,816 times
The metal stub can be hard to find. I think they do the stakes as a visual. One of my metal stubs is (yikes) under my driveway which was put in when the house was built and I had nothing to do with. [lets talk about encroachments)

Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,297,240 times
Quote:
The wooden stakes are usually placed right next to the metal pipe.

When we had our survey done, I made a copy and added measurements to locate the metal pipe from other landmarks as well so I can find them later. For example, the front right pipe is so many feet and inches from the road and so many feet and inches from my driveway. The front left pipe is so many inches left of the water meter. The back right pipe is so many inches behind the back fence and so many inches to the right of the side fence. Same thing for the back left pipe in relation to the fence. That map makes it a lot easier to find those pipes again if there is ever any question about the lot line.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,893,184 times
The stub can legally be offset too. I have one that's 20 ft off from the actual corner. The corner is in a creek, and any stub or pipe would either get covered quickly or wash away.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,190,505 times
Quote:
As you already know, he is right.

House across the street has those same wooden markers. The surveyors had a really hard time finding some of the stakes of that house.

My home, the metal markers, some are tied from the metal bar to a tree (in woods). The one in the front right corner of my house is under grass, 1" from my neighbors driveway.

When I purchased my home I had a survey done and made sure to take pictures of all the markers and their location. The ones that had a ribbon placed on them, 7 1/2 years later, I can still see the ribbon, and it still has color on it. They never put wood stakes.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:10 AM

79 posts, read 79,756 times
The subdivision recorded plat will have a note on there that tells what the surveyor set for property corners. Some states require the licensed surveyor that signs and stamps the plat to put a cap on the rebar that has his license number on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area