Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,039 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some info on Furman. Furman University is one of my daughters top choices for college. I'm just looking for information that I can't get from their website...

What is the student body like...
Do they support sports...
Are they active in the community..
How does the community feel about the students from Furman..
Do Furman students get sought after internships..
Since they don't have post grad classes, is a Furman degree helpful getting into Grad school.
Is the degree well respected..

Is the campus safe...
Not sure if she will have a car, how easy is it to get around Greenville?

I'm sure I will have more questions from the responses I get,

and THANKS in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:19 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,299,741 times
What area of study will your daughter major in?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,300,006 times
Furman is generally viewed as an expensive private liberal arts school. I think most people view it as a good school. I personally think it's quite expensive for the value of education you receive compared to schools like Clemson.

The campus is north of Greenville in a fairly quiet area. The campus itself is quite beautiful with a small lake and gardens.

It is a fair distance from most shopping in Greenville. There is a Publix fairly close to campus. There is a large center a bit further south at Cherrydale with a lot of shopping and a movie theater. I think the bus lines run out to Furman but since it is in an area somewhat removed from Greenville itself, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get around without a car.

What schools is this being considered among?

I'd suggest physically visiting you daughter's top 3-4 choices if you can. Doing that made a big difference for my daughter. Just the long drive to some schools made her realize she would be more likely to get homesick.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 AM

She plans to major in biology.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:40 AM

Shes looking at Elon, Duke and Lehigh.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,299,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1999 View Post
She plans to major in biology.
How does your daughter like the facilities (i.e. Townes Science Center)?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:11 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,300,006 times
With a biology major, she is likely planning graduate studies in some field. Does she have a certain interest that she is leaning towards for grad school? Depending on what programs she is interested in pursuing at the graduate level may have a significant influence on where to go for undergrad studies. How successful are each of these programs at getting students into grad school for her field of interest?

I personally think Furman is way overpriced. A degree from a state school like Clemson, NC State, or Penn State will probably prepare you just as well for grad school at a fraction of the cost. Of course that all goes out the window if you have a significant college fund or if these schools are offering big scholarships.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:40 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,614,277 times
my 3 children have college aspirations - I counsel them constantly re proper study habits, grades, testing, and money management - my goal for each is to graduate college without any debt - I don't care what decent, 4-year college/university they attend - whatever college will give the most free financial aid/scholarship - decades ago, "legacies"/family allegiances were important - I don't give a rip about that anymore (due to out-of-control tuition costs) - I do agree with WWV that Furman is extremely overpriced but I believe the majority of enrolled students get scholarship assistance

Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,420,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1999 View Post
I am looking for some info on Furman. Furman University is one of my daughters top choices for college. I'm just looking for information that I can't get from their website...
Does she prefer small colleges?

Both Furman and Elon have great campuses. I think majority of students at both schools go on to med, law school, pharmacy, grad school, etc.

I'm not trying to steer you away from Furman but if you visit Furman you might consider visiting Clemson about 40 minutes away. It is around 18,000 undergrads but still has a small college feel. It has a good internship and career center. As a land grant university, it offers a wider variety of biology related majors to include things like horticulture and the one related to insects. Clemson is a very safe campus in a more rural area. It was named the safest campus in the country in a recent list. There is a small downtown area next to campus and more stuff near campus than Furman.

Clemson has become quite expensive for out of state students but it possible it would still be cheaper than Furman.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,215,441 times
My youngest daughter graduated from Furman in 2013.She applied to Furman, Davidson and Wofford.Furman by far offered the best aid package, about 2/3 of her total tuition and R&B.

The campus is very safe.The students are very serious and are more conservative than most when it comes to personal behavior.A furman degree still carries some weight.Furman is usually put into the "southern Ivy" grouping.

Having said all this, I can't call Furman a value for what you receive.

I was more pleasantly suprised by the older daughters experience at College of Charleston.CoC has a respected Biology and pre med programs.

Will your daughter be an "in state " student?

And yes, Clemson should be in the running,especially if in state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area