Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 PM

132 posts, read 113,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioddy View Post
Welcome to the upstate! I am a little older than your son in my late 20s, but as a fairly recent transplant from beach central Florida I thought I would offer some personal insight. I actually moved here so I would have MORE to do and experience than I could in Florida. Yes there's the water, but that's about it. And going out drinking. Greenville itself is a beautiful, clean city that always has something going on. There's even events frequently happening in my much smaller town of Travelers Rest. I am non religious and anti political and never once have I ever been made to feel uncomfortable. You need to be open minded and empathetic to others beliefs, certainly doesn't mean y'all need to agree to get along! If your son enjoys the outdoors even a little, this place is a Mecca. In the warmer months I'll take my boat out on the lakes Jocassee, Keowee and Hartwell almost every weekend. Any other time I set a destination hike seeking waterfalls, there are so many that I wonder why anyone would choose a trail that doesn't feature one. Kayaking is huge, tubing is fun, and there are a number of challenging rivers close by especially across the NC border. Fly fishing is avid in this area in these same mountain rivers and streams, and are frequently stocked with trout. Bicycling is huge in the area as well and it's very common to see a group of Lance Armstrongs meandering down a country road. It would be easy for him to join a meetup group with any interest to become involved. For me, my friends have all stemmed from the work place and just random meetings with nice people. It didn't all happen at once, but fairly quickly seeing as I literally knew no one when I moved here. Having lived that life, I wouldn't recommend basing a friendship cliche on those you've met in bars. Fun yes, but also leads to a destructive lifestyle. Not that I'm some kind of stiff that never goes out, but being young it's easy to get caught up. I know that you said school doesn't work him, I completely understand as it didn't for me either, but he really should heavily consider getting some kind of accreditation that will make him look good to be hired as an officer. I am willing to bet they have thousands of applicants with nothing to show, and even a decent number of those that do. I did hear on the radio some months ago that they are hiring correctional officers, which isn't exactly the same but is in the field. As a starter or for in the meanwhile job, Greenville IS a huge foodie area with tons of unique and delicious restaurants that always need people to work. If he has no experience he wouldn't be signed on as a waiter or bartender but they all need dishwashers and bussers. Also, something to consider... I am personally taking the first steps to obtaining a real estate agents license, it's a 90 hour course, background check, and a ged or diploma to be eligible. Courses are around 500-600 and even have online options. Considering the career and earnings potential, it could really be something to look at.
Thank you. I will be keeping your list. Now I see there is tons to do. That’s what I told him, open up to new things and he’s ok to do that. He’s even said he’d join a meetup group to see how that goes. He can’t wait to get out of here and down there. Once he finds a job, he’ll start meeting people and so on. He’s going to apply for anything he qualifies for: corrections, Fire, dispatching, TSA, etc.

He has experience working for a landscaping company up here so that may be an option except we’ll be moving late in the season so most have their crews set up by then. He’s not opposed to any work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You can get bored anywhere. I've been bored in Greenville, I've been bored in Charleston, even got bored in much larger DC and NYC. He'll get bored, it's inevitable, but there will also be plenty for him to do regardless. Greenville is centrally located to Atlanta, Charlotte, the coast, and the mountains if he wants to escape. Clemson's also a happening place during football season, and there's other places around the Upstate that will have stuff going on.

Greenville's got all the typical stuff: family fun centers like D&B, Frankies, and Skyzone, bars and clubs, some rooftop lounges, bowling, movies, street and culture festivals, concerts, Broadway shows, zoo, minor league baseball and hockey, state's largest mall, etc, and is getting more inventive, millennial-centric stuff like boutique bowling, barcades, rail trails, outdoor patios, food halls, breweries, etc. Topgolf is coming too. A Saturday spent at Falls Park is never a boring experience. More and more stuff continues to be added. Also helps that weather is generally good.

The lake "beaches" are not like you'd find on the coast, but there's 3 major lakes you can play around in. The beach is only 4 hours away.
Funny you said you can get bored anywhere because it’s so true. I was just telling him that. Wherever you live, at first it’s fun, but then it just becomes normal. I grew up in NYC and we were always bored. Hahaha. I’m definitely going to take your list of things and save them. Even my husband and I would be interested in them.

I prefer the lake to a beach. I’m afraid of sharks. 😬

I love the location of Greenville. Most things are close enough for a day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 07:55 PM

143 posts, read 206,850 times
Yeeks, lots of negative comments, sorry bebe

My son is 20 and we live in Greenville. He lives at home. Goes to Greenville Tech with a scholarship program for Mechatronics. Several employers here offer programs for young adults, as there is a critical shortage of mechanically minded young adults. GE, Michelin, Bosch & Laumb, ZF, Drive all offer scholarships. They work at their potential new jobs as they learn the trade, getting full scholarships. When he graduates, he will make $25 an hour, and if he works at his current employer for a year, they will pay for future education. This is my son's path, not mine.... I understand you.

Is your son into cars?
On Facebook, you will see there is a monthly car meet called, "Coffee and Cars, Upstate". Great place to mingle and look at cars.

My son did graduate from a local high school, but his current crowd a consists of like minded gear heads that he met at Greenville Tech. If your son likes cars, he can find a lot of like minded friends.

Good luck on your decision, and PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 PM

132 posts, read 113,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
Yeeks, lots of negative comments, sorry bebe

My son is 20 and we live in Greenville. He lives at home. Goes to Greenville Tech with a scholarship program for Mechatronics. Several employers here offer programs for young adults, as there is a critical shortage of mechanically minded young adults. GE, Michelin, Bosch & Laumb, ZF, Drive all offer scholarships. They work at their potential new jobs as they learn the trade, getting full scholarships. When he graduates, he will make $25 an hour, and if he works at his current employer for a year, they will pay for future education. This is my son's path, not mine.... I understand you.

Is your son into cars?
On Facebook, you will see there is a monthly car meet called, "Coffee and Cars, Upstate". Great place to mingle and look at cars.

My son did graduate from a local high school, but his current crowd a consists of like minded gear heads that he met at Greenville Tech. If your son likes cars, he can find a lot of like minded friends.

Good luck on your decision, and PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks Pertmm. My son is not really into working on cars, but he does like to look at them. Lol. My husband is into cars and we do attend the several of our local cars and coffee and plan on attending the one down there.

However, who knows maybe in looking for a job he’d be willing to do something like the ones you mentioned.

I will definitely PM you with questions.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
There are religious and non religious people in both cities. It doesn't make sense to make generalizations about people living in cities. .

Yesterday in Asheville, NC, also known as "The San Francisco of the South."

Generally speaking, Asheville is very liberal.

https://mountainx.com/news/womens-ma...ntown-streets/

Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

That's awesome! We were there yesterday

Old 01-21-2018, 06:15 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:

Why did you move to Greenville if liberal politics is a priority for you? I often people complaining about Greenville being 'too conservative' on here and it is surprising to me that they moved here in the first place. You can easily check how different areas vote.

It looks like there was a similar political protest at Falls Park yesterday.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:19 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:

A place can be too liberal for someone just as well as it can be too conservative. Just because a place is liberal doesn't automatically mean it's all good, and vice versa with a place being conservative. I personally would prefer people just think for themselves and not subscribe to either.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Why did you move to Greenville if liberal politics is a priority for you? I often people complaining about Greenville being 'too conservative' on here and it is surprising to me that they moved here in the first place.

There was. It had a good crowd.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Why did you move to Greenville if liberal politics is a priority for you? I often people complaining about Greenville being 'too conservative' on here and it is surprising to me that they moved here in the first place. You can easily check how different areas vote.

I was at the Rally.

It's a free country. We can live where we choose. And we liberals can make change and make a difference here, which we are doing. You're welcome.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
A place can be too liberal for someone just as well as it can be too conservative. Just because a place is liberal doesn't automatically mean it's all good, and vice versa with a place being conservative. I personally would prefer people just think for themselves and not subscribe to either.
That wasn't the point of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area