Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2020, 06:34 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times

Advertisements

In radio, WYRD-FM's (106.3 FM) talk show host Bob McLain has announced his retirement after 57 years in broadcasting. (https://www.radio.com/1063word/news/...anks-bobby-mac) McLain joined WYRD in June 2006 replacing Ralph Bristol. (Bristol accepted a similar position in Nashville, Tennessee.)

McLain will announce his successor on his show Monday, 14 December.

Entercom has a Talk Show Host vacancy at WYRD-FM, https://entercom.avature.net/careers...how-Host/15592.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 09:54 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
I do not understand the appeal of "Bobby Mac"/Robert McLain - he is terrible
BTW, as I am from Nashville, Ralph Bristol was fired/terminated in 2018 - I think he is retired now

Old 12-14-2020, 10:07 AM

WYRD-FM's success came in the form of Russ Cassell. Cassell was excellent. (He died suddenly six years ago.)

Tara Servatius, Cassell's successor, has done well.

I hope McLain's successor is a top talent worth listening.

Bristol is retired indeed. He separated from Cumulus Media after being at WWTN-FM, the station after his tenure at WORD-AM/WYRD-AM.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:15 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
WYRD-FM's success came in the form of Russ Cassell. Cassell was excellent. (He died suddenly six years ago.)

Bristol is retired indeed. He separated from Cumulus Media after being at WWTN-FM, the station after his tenure at WORD-AM/WYRD-AM.
Tara Servatius was hired by WORD after she was dropped from WBT in Charlotte. Same with Vince Coakley. Both did not originally receive strong ratings in Charlotte. Although they are both informed and articulate, you also need to be entertaining to achieve ratings success. Such as Rush Limbaugh and Neal Boortz who have achieved success on the national level.

When Entercom acquired WBT, Vince Coakley returned to Charlotte and his show is now simulcast on both WBT and WORD. Tara Servatius remains on WORD, whereas former NC governor Pat McCrory hosts the morning show on WBT.

However, Entercom recently divested WBT to Urban One, so it remains to be seen the future of programming on WBT. Urban One is not known as a provider of conservative talk programming, so they will likely make changes or once again trade WBT to another broadcaster. That remains to be seen, although iHeart has been speculated. But perhaps Entercom retained the syndicated rights to Vince Coakley programming, but that remains unclear. Vince Coakley was a former news anchor at WSOC-TV Channel 9 Eyewitness News in Charlotte before moving to talk radio.

WBT/WLNK/WBTV is the legacy radio/TV broadcaster in Charlotte, and was originally owned by Jefferson-Pilot. The radio and TV stations split, and the TV channel 3 was acquired by Raycom and is now owned by Gray Broadcasting. The radio stations, as mentioned, were recently traded by Entercom to Urban One. In Greenville, WORD originated as WFBC, which operated AM/FM stations and Channel 4 television, now known as WYFF. They also acquired the Spartanburg AM channel and 106.3FM, and utilize 93.7 as the hit music station.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:30 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
I remember when Russ Cassell and Heidi Aiken did the morning show on WFBC-FM in the early 90's. It was more of an easy listening 70-80's station back then vs the Top40 hits B93 format it is now. I think Heidi is still on the B93 morning show.

Last edited by vistatiger; 12-14-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-14-2020, 08:57 PM

Charlie James, recently with Cumulus Media-owned WTMA-AM 1270, will succeed Bob McLain starting Wednesday, 23 December. (https://www.radio.com/1063word/the-charlie-james-show) He replaced Tara Servatius when she joined WYRD-FM six years ago.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:56 PM

19 posts, read 60,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

Yes I remember hearing that Russ Cassell had died. I believe he died in his sleep from a heart attack. I think I remember my grandfather telling me that he and his wife had company over at their house & they all had a steak dinner. Russ either complain or said he was tired after their guest left & that he was going to bed. Unfortunately he never woke up. He hosted an conservative talk radio show 106.3 word. I wonder what he would had thought of Donald Trump's crazy ass being the President.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:15 PM

Destiny Chance and Kylie Jones new to WYFF. Based on this weekend looks like Chance is the new weekend evening anchor replacing Joe Ripley. Not sure about Jones unless she is replacing former anchor Amanda Crawford on weekday mornings (??).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJKC-O-HnJr/

Old 12-27-2020, 06:13 PM

19 posts, read 60,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Destiny Chance and Kylie Jones new to WYFF. Based on this weekend looks like Chance is the new weekend evening anchor replacing Joe Ripley. Not sure about Jones unless she is replacing former anchor Amanda Crawford on weekday mornings (??).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJKC-O-HnJr/
So I guess this means that Renee Wunderlich isn't going to be the weekend person I guess.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:49 AM

I wondered what happened to this guy on the Fox Carolina morning news. His live remotes were always entertaining.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/o...greenville-sc/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area