Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 04:02 PM

60 posts, read 81,762 times

Advertisements

over the years WSPA had many Solgans

Station slogans
Where The Color Is (1966-?)
Great Moments on Channel 7 (1982–1983; local version of CBS campaign)
The Eyewitness Advantage (?-1986)
On Your Side (1986–1988 and 2006–2016)
We're the Team (1988–1990)
In the Center of it All (1990–1994)
The Look of Western Carolina is Channel 7 (1991-1992; local version of CBS campaign)
News Where You Live
Putting South Carolina. First. (2001–2006)
The News Station (2016–2018)
Carolina's Family (2018–present; general)
Where Local News Matters (2018–present; newscasts)

i think they used have same slogan as WBTV channel 3 does now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 04:43 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
And John Boy and Billy also originate in Charlotte and remain in Greenville on Rock 101.1.

From what I understand, and I never particularly cared for JB&B because their show is just SO overproduced. It's like they took the advice of EVERY program manager, ever. "Play the same bits at the same time every morning".. "3 songs in a row, not 2, not 4.. THREE!".. But JB&B are apparently like just taping a months worth of shows in like 3 days now.

The greatest talk shows that I enjoyed was back when WPEK was at 98.1 in the late 90's.

I don't recall the morning show, I believe it changed several times.. But then you had G Gordon Liddy in middays, Don and Mike in the afternoons, Braves baseball in the evenings and Loveline at night.

That was a pretty good lineup.

Liddy is dead.. Don is back on BIG100 in DC.. Mike is doing podcasts.. And Loveline is no more.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:30 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Michael Cogdill announced he is retiring from WYFF after 33 years. He will be missed.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/wyff-n...ement/37951487
Another longtime legacy anchor retiring. He will indeed be missed. In recent years they have lost John Cessarich, Dale Gilbert, Geoff Hart, and now Michael Cogdill. Leaving Carol Clark as one of the last remaining longtime talent. They had a good team for a number of years at WYFF and now it will soon be all new talent.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
From what I understand, and I never particularly cared for JB&B because their show is just SO overproduced. It's like they took the advice of EVERY program manager, ever. "Play the same bits at the same time every morning".. "3 songs in a row, not 2, not 4.. THREE!".. But JB&B are apparently like just taping a months worth of shows in like 3 days now.

The greatest talk shows that I enjoyed was back when WPEK was at 98.1 in the late 90's.

I don't recall the morning show, I believe it changed several times.. But then you had G Gordon Liddy in middays, Don and Mike in the afternoons, Braves baseball in the evenings and Loveline at night.

That was a pretty good lineup.

Liddy is dead.. Don is back on BIG100 in DC.. Mike is doing podcasts.. And Loveline is no more.
I remember way back when they had the Don and Mike morning show on the old 105-WAVA. And David Hains was the news commentator like Paul Harvey on steroids. It was "burnt toast and coffee time." That was a great era and a great hit music station. It was "Fun all morning, music all day, on 105-WAVA!"

Old 10-13-2021, 09:01 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
I remember way back when they had the Don and Mike morning show on the old 105-WAVA. And David Hains was the news commentator like Paul Harvey on steroids. It was "burnt toast and coffee time." That was a great era and a great hit music station. It was "Fun all morning, music all day, on 105-WAVA!"

David, David Haines.

68 fun lovin' degrees, Power 105.. WAVA.

WAVA was my growing up station. Freda as Laura Petrie as well, however, some great DJs there. Even old George McFly... Frank Murphy.. TK Tom Kent, Loo Katz, Sandy Weaver..

That time from about '84 to '91 when they changed formats... One of the best top-40 stations in the country.

With the change in formats and the change in top 40 music.. I then kinda migrated over to WMZQ

Old 10-13-2021, 10:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Michael Cogdill announced he is retiring from WYFF after 33 years. He will be missed.

Quote:
Another longtime legacy anchor retiring. He will indeed be missed. In recent years they have lost John Cessarich, Dale Gilbert, Geoff Hart, and now Michael Cogdill. Leaving Carol Clark as one of the last remaining longtime talent. They had a good team for a number of years at WYFF and now it will soon be all new talent.
Congratulations to Michael on his upcoming retirement.

I wonder if Nigel Robertson, who will celebrate his 20th anniversary with WYFF-TV in December, will succeed Michael as a primary weeknight anchor.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:50 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

The Big Show has been on the air for quite a while, 35 years, if you want to be specific, but only maybe 30 or less syndicated. I listened to them all the time back in the 90s when they were more involved with Nascar and had drivers on each week. I stopped listening several years ago when they really started playing taped shows over and over and over and over..................

Old 10-14-2021, 05:52 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:

Im sure he will by some, not me. When Carol packs in it, I may go back to watching 4 for the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
The Big Show has been on the air for quite a while, 35 years, if you want to be specific, but only maybe 30 or less syndicated. I listened to them all the time back in the 90s when they were more involved with Nascar and had drivers on each week. I stopped listening several years ago when they really started playing taped shows over and over and over and over..................
I suspect youre right. Nigel has been shuffled around so much over the years he deserves it.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:33 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Congratulations to Michael on his upcoming retirement.

I wonder if Nigel Robertson, who will celebrate his 20th anniversary with WYFF-TV in December, will succeed Michael as a primary weeknight anchor.
Yes. He called it more of a transition than retirement. He said he is opening a consulting business and releasing a new children's book soon. I think he is still fairly young. Late 50's or 60 maybe. Good for him- something different.

I would assume Nigel If he wants it. I personally wouldn't want to have to stick around after 11:30 pm. I would prefer to work morning or noon's and early evenings then get the heck outta there at a decent hour lol. I'm guessing Nigel or Patrick Hussion are the most likely candidates for 6 and 11 unless Hearst brings in someone new.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:14 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
over the years WSPA had many Solgans

We're the Team (1988–1990)

"We're the team" promo from the 80's. Notice WSPA anchors Jane Robelot (now at WYFF), Allen Denton (recently retired from San Diego station) Jack Roper (weather, currently Your Carolina) Stan Olenik (sports) and Pamela Graham (former WSPA anchor). Lots of big hair in the 80's, the old computers and land lines lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yihDvU08rWM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area