Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 04:14 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
It surprises me that this area doesn't have a decent oldies station. Surely I can't be the only person here that grew up listening to the music of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I listen to 103.3, but they get too recent from time to time. More and more, I turn to streaming services to get the music I want.
But if you want Christmas music sevearl time throughout the year, we gotcha covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 05:23 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
It surprises me that this area doesn't have a decent oldies station. Surely I can't be the only person here that grew up listening to the music of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I listen to 103.3, but they get too recent from time to time. More and more, I turn to streaming services to get the music I want.
As a hit music station, B-93.7 has become stale, old, and dated. Hot 98.1 sounds fresher. And morning hosts Hawk and Tom have somewhat aged out of the demographic, which is often younger folks 18 to 36. They would now be a better fit on an adult contemporary format such as sister station Magic 98.9, which is also becoming a bit tired and overbearing with excessive Christmas music. It is not even October or Halloween yet and they already have started Christmas music. Enough already.

A good oldies format would be nice, but perhaps not enough audience for the key demographic.

Locally I like the Earth FM with variety hits, and sometimes 102.5 the Lake and Awesome 99.5. And I also listen to Charlotte stations Mix 107.9, 102.9 the Lake, Kiss 95.1, and Hits 96.1 in suburban areas where I can pull in the signal.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
But if you want Christmas music sevearl time throughout the year, we gotcha covered.
This has become a joke on Magic 98.9. Way too much. Nauseating, way too early. Should start Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving and not a day before.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:04 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
This has become a joke on Magic 98.9. Way too much. Nauseating, way too early. Should start Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving and not a day before.
I remember if you heard a Christmas song on the radio 3 weeks before Chrstmas it was too early. 2 weeks maybe 2 or 3 a day, and the week before there really wasnt that much played, maybe 5 or 6 a day. One station, I think it was WESC played Christmas songs/music all day Christmas day, but it was only like 15 or 20 songs over and over, and these old classics we, well some of us, grew up with and still listen to today.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:21 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:

A good oldies format would be nice, but perhaps not enough audience.
Yes unfortunately the advertisers want to spend their money on a younger audience format station I guess.

There are some good ones on Sirius XM like "The Bridge" which is 70's format if you want to pay for satellite radio.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:29 AM

208 posts, read 217,014 times
Both the iHeartradio and Audacy apps for phones give you access to radio stations all over the country - works great for most data plans that are now mostly unlimited.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:41 AM

Disappointing this is the last week for the Days Of Our Lives on NBC. Next week moving to Peacock streaming channel requiring a paid subscription service. End of an era, no more soaps on NBC.

Personally I miss the New York soaps All My Children, One Life to Live, As the World Turns and Guiding Light.
Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful remain on CBS and General Hospital on ABC.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Disappointing this is the last week for the Days Of Our Lives on NBC. Next week moving to Peacock streaming channel requiring a paid subscription service. End of an era, no more soaps on NBC.
Looks like WYFF is going to run the new "NBC News Daily" in it's place at 1 pm, Jennifer Hudson @ 2pm and Kelly Clarkson @3pm. Can't figure out what they will air at 11am. The schedule next two weeks still says "The Good Dish" which is currently in reruns and was canceled too back in the spring. Odd that WYFF doesn't air the Today Show's "Hoda and Jenna" in the daytime. They need a decent lead in for the noon news.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Looks like WYFF is going to run the new "NBC News Daily" in it's place at 1 pm, Jennifer Hudson @ 2pm and Kelly Clarkson @3pm. Can't figure out what they will air at 11am. The schedule next two weeks still says "The Good Dish" which is currently in reruns and was canceled too back in the spring. Odd that WYFF doesn't air the Today Show's "Hoda and Jenna" in the daytime. They need a decent lead in for the noon news.
The fourth hour of Today was previously Kathie Lee and Hoda then Jenna Bush took over after Kathie Lee Gifford stepped aside and moved to Nashville. WYFF-4 delays the 3rd hour of Today to make room for Kathie Lee's old show, now Kelly and Ryan. It originated as Regis and Kathie Lee. In most markets, Kelly and Ryan airs on ABC affiliates, but not all. But looks like they could carry Hoda and Jenna on delay like most Hearst stations do.

Old 09-08-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The fourth hour of Today was previously Kathie Lee and Hoda then Jenna Bush took over after Kathie Lee Gifford stepped aside and moved to Nashville. WYFF-4 delays the 3rd hour of Today to make room for Kathie Lee's old show, now Kelly and Ryan. It originated as Regis and Kathie Lee. In most markets, Kelly and Ryan airs on ABC affiliates, but not all. But looks like they could carry Hoda and Jenna on delay like most Hearst stations do.
Agreed. WIS (NBC) in Columbia airs Today all the way through to "Hoda and Jenna" @ 10am. and Kelly and Ryan on delay at 11am which is a strong lead in for their noon news and a more formidable competitor to top rated "The Price is Right" on CBS and popular "The View" on ABC both at 11am. You would think WYFF would do like wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area