Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 01:49 AM

42 posts, read 73,376 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been considering a move to the upstate SC area. We are considering a home close to Landrum. We are curious as to peoples experiences up in that area of the state, right along the NC border. Do not have children, so not worried about schools. But we are interested in the situation with Health Care, Shopping, general community, social activities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:42 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
I’m not sure if you’re already focused on one house and just want general opinions or if you have not visited the area yet.

I assume you know it’s very small and rural. The landscape is very pretty with rolling foothills heading into the larger mountains. There are a lot of small farms. It’s close to the Tryon Equestrian Center so has a “hunt country” feel.

I’ve only been there a couple times but it’s a cute little town with antique shops, an Amish furniture store, a small women’s boutique, a hardware store. Those kinds of stores. You would have to go to Greenville, Spartanburg, or up toward Hendersonville/Asheville for larger shopping like a mall, Costco, chain restaurants etc.

We’ve had brunch a couple times at The Hare & Hound and it was very good and I’ve heard good things about Southside Smokehouse. I don’t recall seeing any fast food places nearby.

Regarding medical care, again for significant things, you would need to go to a larger city.

Best of luck.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:48 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
I live in Greer, but go up to Landrum often. Cute town, but not a heck of a lot going on. Close to other cute towns, Tryon and Saluda, but again, not much goes on. If you like small town life it would suit you fine.

I would say your closest good hospitals would be in Greer, Spartanburg or Hendersonville.

You may want to look in to the northern part of Greer.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
I don't have a lot to add and agree with the two previous posts. It's a pretty rural area and for shopping and healthcare you'd have to drive south into Spartanburg, west into Greer, or north into Hendersonville.

It is a really pretty area, though. I could certainly see the appeal of buying some land and retiring there.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Landrum is not going to have much in shopping and healthcare. You will have to make trips to Spartanburg, Greer, or Hendersonville for retail and medical specialties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area