Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 04:00 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Has the winner even come forth as of yet? There are lots of rumors out there but I can't confirm anything.
Let’s hope the winner does not reveal his name to the press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 06:56 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
As of Friday, He hadn't officially come forward just yet. I'm guessing someone convinced him to cool his jets and seek some legal / financial advice. I'm not sure just who in the local area would be up to speed for helping in dealing with this young fellows new found challenges.
Taking time to claim the prize is a good sign in this situation. It will take some time to set up the most advantageous situation to claim the prize while minimizing tax liability and retaining as much privacy as possible.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Taking time to claim the prize is a good sign in this situation. It will take some time to set up the most advantageous situation to claim the prize while minimizing tax liability and retaining as much privacy as possible.
My neighbor is a senior manager at ZF. She says she knows the winner and the person is still working at ZF for now.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:38 AM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Is this starting to seem odd? I mean.. Kind of a long time to not claim the prize. Unless they're going to do some big surprise to their family at Christmas.. Or.. Maybe they're not claiming so that their family doesn't complain about a small Christmas or something..

Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Is this starting to seem odd? I mean.. Kind of a long time to not claim the prize. Unless they're going to do some big surprise to their family at Christmas.. Or.. Maybe they're not claiming so that their family doesn't complain about a small Christmas or something..
They're probably getting things lined up. I would. It's right at 1 billion. I think having a plan is a good idea.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,998 times
Just setting up a trust might take longer than the elapsed time, let alone other preparations.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:02 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
How do you know the prize has not been claimed?

Old 12-19-2018, 02:02 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
News story today saying it hasn’t.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Just setting up a trust might take longer than the elapsed time, let alone other preparations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
They're probably getting things lined up. I would. It's right at 1 billion. I think having a plan is a good idea.

2+ Months is a long time to setup a trust. And.. Technically, it's more about 450 million. Assuming they take the lump sum, that takes it from the 1.5 Billion down to about $900 million or so.. Then $60 million to the state, and 390 million to the feds for taxes.

I suppose the person could be running the hell to a state with no income taxes before claiming.. Not sure of the legalities of that.

Plus.. The longer they don't claim, the more possible something could happen. The ticket getting destroyed, whatever. I mean, that's a long shot.. I'd have the bastard in a safe deposit box somewhere, but once you claim.. It's yours. So, I'd think any advisor would recommend being cautiously quick. Get your plan in place, but get the ticket claimed fairly quickly. At least, I'd think before a couple of months. I can see a few weeks, but a few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post

We may never know WHO claims it. But the fact that it has or hasn't been claimed is publically available info. The person who claims can remain anonymous, but not the fact the prize was claimed.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:35 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Basically, if you blew money like a pimp with a week to live before you won the lottery, you'll blow money with a week to live after you win the lottery.

If you are prudent with your money before you win the lottery, you'll be prudent with money after you win the lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area