Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 11:36 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times

Advertisements

Hampton Avenue (in the Hampton-Pinckney historic district just west of downtown) has some beautiful Victorian homes on it. It's a gorgeous street.

However, (1) it has some pretty derelict houses on it as well and (2) lots of vacant land nearby, particularly between Hampton Avenue and West Washington Street.

Why aren't these derelict houses fixed up (or torn down and redeveloped); ones in Alta Vista are, and there are no derelict houses in Alta Vista. Further, why aren't people building multifamily housing (or new houses) on the vacant land south of Hampton Avenue?

Is the issue crime? Traffic on West Washington ? Train noise? Racist views of nearby inhabitants? Something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 12:16 PM

632 posts, read 747,917 times
PK...
It's an old and almost out of favor concept. Its called private property rights. An owner is not required to sell and the city has to either buy it, condemn it or beat them in court to force improvements that they might or might not be able to afford. The Army Navy Store, downtown, has embarrassingly beaten them time after time, so they've learned to pick their battles more carefully, these days. Still lots and lots of privately owned property around this town.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:32 PM

Thanks, cedge1. This has nothing to do with the government or eminent domain. Nowhere does my post suggest that--to the contrary, Alta Vista has not been subject to eminent domain and there are no derelict properties there. I'll repeat my question below:

Hampton Avenue (in the Hampton-Pinckney historic district just west of downtown) has some beautiful Victorian homes on it. It's a gorgeous street.

However, (1) it has some pretty derelict houses on it as well and (2) lots of vacant land nearby, particularly between Hampton Avenue and West Washington Street.

Why aren't these derelict houses fixed up (or torn down and redeveloped); ones in Alta Vista are, and there are no derelict houses in Alta Vista. Further, why aren't people building multifamily housing (or new houses) on the vacant land south of Hampton Avenue?

Is the issue crime? Traffic on West Washington ? Train noise? Racist views of nearby inhabitants? Something else?

Old 12-26-2018, 01:24 PM

PK
So exactly who do you suggest should be made to take on these proposed improvements? "They" is not a viable answer. It all boils down to money and demand. If either is absent, nothing happens. Until a developer or a gentrifying buyer decides a particular property can be bought at a price that is conducive to investing in a project, the area isn't likely to change. It's just how things are.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
PK
So exactly who do you suggest should be made to take on these proposed improvements? "They" is not a viable answer. It all boils down to money and demand. If either is absent, nothing happens. Until a developer or a gentrifying buyer decides a particular property can be bought at a price that is conducive to investing in a project, the area isn't likely to change. It's just how things are.

Cedge1, stop trying to be argumentative and stop trying to provoke a fight. Further, if you're not going to give relevant information to respond to my posts, why post?

It's as though I asked, "Why is it going to rain on Friday" and you responded, "#(*) you--it's going to rain on Friday."

Old 12-26-2018, 02:15 PM

Deleted...

Last edited by Cedge1; 12-26-2018 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: not worth the effort.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:52 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Cedge1, stop trying to be argumentative and stop trying to provoke a fight. Further, if you're not going to give relevant information to respond to my posts, why post?

It's as though I asked, "Why is it going to rain on Friday" and you responded, "#(*) you--it's going to rain on Friday."
Question: "Why are there derelict houses on Hampton Avenue?"

Answer: "The market won't bear the cost of the monies needed to rehabilitate the homes on Hampton Avenue, so the investment isn't made"

I am not being argumentative, but it seems to me that Cedge had answered your question. Assuming that the residents in that area are low(er) wage earners, they might lack the funds to make substantial improvements to their homes, while a depressed (neighborhood) housing market doesn't allow for investors to recoup the money it cost to rehabilitate the house at the time of sale. Cedge's answer makes sense as to why many houses are in a poor state .

It sounds to me like you're wanting to know if the area has issues with crime, drugs, etc.

I don't know the area myself, but you piqued my interest in remarking that the area has beautiful Victorian homes.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:48 AM

387 posts, read 330,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Question: "Why are there derelict houses on Hampton Avenue?"

Answer: "The market won't bear the cost of the monies needed to rehabilitate the homes on Hampton Avenue, so the investment isn't made"
Maybe that math will change as Unity Park begins to develop?

Whatever one's feeling about gentrification, there definitely seems to be some interest in development in the area near the future park. Hampton Pinckney is just a couple of blocks away.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:17 AM

Thanks, NDL and Downtown27!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area