Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 5,543 times

Advertisements

We are Upstate NY natives who lived in Florida many years then moved back to NY, now looking to move to an area with more moderate temperatures. After researching several areas, I came across Greenville and it seems like a great area with homes that are affordable and decent schools. My question is about jobs though. We are not "professionals" with college degrees, so it's not like we can transfer or just send resumes and be given moving time. I am an office assistant for the county and my husband has been mostly doing small engine diagnostic and repair for 30 years. Two adult sons are cooks. How is the job market there for these types of jobs? Feeling overwhelmed right now figuring out how to sell a home, buy a home, find jobs, and a good high school for our youngest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 01:15 PM

370 posts, read 947,857 times
My wife found her job through Godshall Staffing agency. We would highly recommend them to help you through this process. She talked to a recruiter initially to personalize her search.

https://www.sccareersearch.com/

Old 06-23-2019, 02:26 PM

266 posts, read 301,147 times
Oh oh, a halfback! Just kidding your husband as a small engine mechanic and your sons as cooks should have no problem. Mileage may vary with your office assistant title.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:04 PM

680 posts, read 535,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cft67 View Post
We are Upstate NY natives who lived in Florida many years then moved back to NY, now looking to move to an area with more moderate temperatures. After researching several areas, I came across Greenville and it seems like a great area with homes that are affordable and decent schools. My question is about jobs though. We are not "professionals" with college degrees, so it's not like we can transfer or just send resumes and be given moving time. I am an office assistant for the county and my husband has been mostly doing small engine diagnostic and repair for 30 years. Two adult sons are cooks. How is the job market there for these types of jobs? Feeling overwhelmed right now figuring out how to sell a home, buy a home, find jobs, and a good high school for our youngest.
It's a growing area, lots of restaurants, I'm sure there's a demand for small engine repair, and office assistants. Keep in mind wages are lower than northern states, SC has no minimum wage law. Unless you're a nurse, doctor, lawyer, engineer, or another professional with special skills, expect low pay. There's property taxes on cars. I'm about to pay $600 to transfer my 2017 Honda Civic, which includes tax, fees, etc. Gas prices are low here, and property taxes on homes, that'll save some money. State income tax is 7%. The pros outweigh the cons though. Greenville is a beautiful area, great location, you can take short trips to the beach or mountains, very nice downtown. Everyone I meet is friendly. Most days are sunny and warm. Indeed.com is a good job site, search around online for apartments and read reviews.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:07 PM

9 posts, read 5,543 times
Thank you so much for your responses. We have kicked this idea around for a few years and have hesitated due to the probability of lower pay, but we want to get out of NY state more and more with each passing year. I think the cut in pay will be worth it in the long run.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your responses. We have kicked this idea around for a few years and have hesitated due to the probability of lower pay, but we want to get out of NY state more and more with each passing year. I think the cut in pay will be worth it in the long run.
Keep in mind, yes the pay maybe less but so is the COL. Just something to consider.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
We moved from NY, to the Charlotte area, seven years ago.

We miss our friends and family, and a couple of insignificant things, but that's it.

The prospect of moving can be daunting (to say the least); fortunately, it's made easy in the South; the laws here are fairly concise, and they're written in such a way as to make them easy to understand. The roads are logical; no surprises while driving.

If you drive late model vehicles, you will have to pay property taxes on the value of your vehicle, and if you drive newer, expensive, vehicles, the taxes aren't cheap.

The cost of water is much higher here, and groceries are more expensive than they are in NY.

The State of SC doesn't nickle and dime you like NY does; property taxes are far lower, as is electricity, auto insurance, gasoline, etc. There are no "hidden fees;" a traffic ticket costs what it does, unlike NY's chicanery: (e.g. a ticket in NY costs $100, but then there's an additional $150 "court costs" fee tacked on). The State doesn't play games...most things are clear and reasonable.

There are lots of activities in the area as well; I can't imagine anyone being bored .

In short, while the prospect of moving can be daunting, a move to SC isn't overwhelming, as it might be in other areas.

Oh...and the snow (!) If it snows, by midday it's largely melted, and everything closes when it snows. Not a single time have I chipped ice off of my wiper blades; held a match to heat my car key, nor have I slid on ice . That, in itself, is cause to move . On the other hand, we do have the winter season here, so you won't miss winter. But it isn't brutal as it is in NY.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 AM

680 posts, read 535,748 times
There was a a couple weeks in MI this last winter it was -20, everything covered in ice. When I got home from work my house door was frozen shut, couldn’t even put the key in the knob and turn it. Fell multiple times on the ice, as did my co-workers. In the spring I started applying for jobs in SC. I don’t care how hot it gets here, I never want to experience another brutal winter like that again.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:13 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,451,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
There was a a couple weeks in MI this last winter it was -20, everything covered in ice. When I got home from work my house door was frozen shut, couldn’t even put the key in the knob and turn it. Fell multiple times on the ice, as did my co-workers. In the spring I started applying for jobs in SC. I don’t care how hot it gets here, I never want to experience another brutal winter like that again.
I truly understand the anti-cold weather feeling but be careful what you wish for — it gets VERY hot and humid here and it lasts for several months. I agree I’ll take it over cold but some people aren’t prepared for the heat. Be sure you visit where you would be living (not the beach/lake) in July/August for more than a day or two to get a real feel.

One note about NDL’s point about utilities — our water bill is significantly less than it was in Virginia. Same two people — same showering, laundry, etc. The other utilities are also lower.

Best of luck to everyone finding their best place to live.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
We are originally from NY and moved here by way of Raleigh, where we lived for some time. When we first drove down to look at Raleigh, in the summer, we could not believe that people were actually enjoying the park in the heat and humidity! Not to mention that the sun is stronger than it was in NY- I use a ton of sunscreen here! However, we got used to it, and it's a great trade off to be done with snow, days of freezing temperatures, and the cloudiness and mugginess of NY.

Some things are more expensive here, but we have a much nicer house than we did in either NY or Raleigh, in a great neighborhood close to town. If you know where to shop groceries can be gotten very inexpensively. I am an expert bargain shopper, and would be happy to give you tips! Taxes are way lower, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: