Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 05:08 AM

305 posts, read 1,808,114 times

Advertisements

How bad are each of those in the Greenville area?

Is Greenville and surrounding area considering part of "Tornado Alley?"

How often do you have a bug control company come out and spray?

How often does a hurricane come to town and how do I find out if the home I am going to buy lies in a flood plain?

Is it tough to get flood/tornado/hurricane home insurance?

Snakes ... a lot of them or just a few now and again?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Hurricanes rarely affect us in Greenville (they are never at hurricane strength when they reach us), and when they do, the typical result is steady winds and bands of heavy rain with a few thunderstorms mixed in. Violent weather from a hurricane is extremely rare in Greenville. Flooding of streams and rivers can occur if the rain is heavy enough and sustained for more than a day. Flash flooding in those same areas can occur in less time.

No, tornadoes are rare in the Greenville area and are very small when they do occur here. They can form anywhere on the East coast, so precaution and knowledge of what to do in an emergency situation is recommended. A weather radio is very helpful in alerting everyone of potential danger.

The amount of bug control needed will depend on where you live. I recommend service once a year with on-call assistance whenever you feel necessary.

Snakes do exist but are not seen very often in most places. Most of the snakes seen in this area are black snakes, which are non-venomous.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,476 times
Sky covered it pretty well, but I'll give you a tip about buying in flood-prone areas. You can look up any property on GIS, or Geographic Information System. In Greenville County, it's gcgis.org. This will show you pretty much everything you need to know about a property you are thinking about buying, including topography, flood zones, crime statistics, soil type, zoning, and you can zoom out and literally see who your neighbors are. That way, you can find out if you're right around the corner from a landfill or something. As an example, a friend of mine found out he hard way that he's pretty close to a local race track- and it's pretty loud on Saturday nights. Although the previous owner and their realtor are legally required to disclose any known faults, they either may not know, or pretend not to. It's up to YOU to do all the research you can about your future home. Since we are at a distance, we did a lot of research on-line, using real estate sites, GIS, and GoogleEarth to find our property. I recommend doing this no matter where you plan to move.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
Sky covered it pretty well, but I'll give you a tip about buying in flood-prone areas. You can look up any property on GIS, or Geographic Information System. In Greenville County, it's gcgis.org. This will show you pretty much everything you need to know about a property you are thinking about buying, including topography, flood zones, crime statistics, soil type, zoning, and you can zoom out and literally see who your neighbors are. That way, you can find out if you're right around the corner from a landfill or something. As an example, a friend of mine found out he hard way that he's pretty close to a local race track- and it's pretty loud on Saturday nights. Although the previous owner and their realtor are legally required to disclose any known faults, they either may not know, or pretend not to. It's up to YOU to do all the research you can about your future home. Since we are at a distance, we did a lot of research on-line, using real estate sites, GIS, and GoogleEarth to find our property. I recommend doing this no matter where you plan to move.
Great advice!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,685 times
Hurricanes...we're too far inland. One year we got remnants that dumped over 10 inches but that's rare. Tornado's...we have alerts but if (rare) they occur they are well south of 85 and usually nearer Columbia. Bugs, every area has bugs. I have my house done once a year when they do termite inspection. Some others are bug phobics and have once a month which I think is excessive. Only problem I ever had was ants and finally one employee of the bug company actually found the nest and since then nada. Snakes, only snake I ever saw was on my neighbors porch over 15 years ago. It was a black (garden varety) snake. Not a big deal. I used to see them as a kid all the time in New England.

Unless you buy in a flood area (shame on you) insurance isn't an issue.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
By the time hurricane's reach the upstate they are downgraded to tropical storms or even depressions. It rains and the wind blows hard, not much worse than a severe thunderstorm IMO. We need rain desperately and those storms are a good source of it when they come this way. When at sea hurricane's can be very unpredictable but forecasting is a lot better than it was 10-30 years ago.

I am a weather junkie...I follow hurricane season very closely.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.

I was wondering though, if buying a home is the real estate agent required by law to tell you of any previous or the possibility of any future flooding?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:48 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post

I was wondering though, if buying a home is the real estate agent required by law to tell you of any previous or the possibility of any future flooding?
Yes, they are supposed to disclose those things but sadly much goes unsaid. You are better off doing your homework. Visit gcgis.org.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:06 PM

I bookmarked it. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:22 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post

The real estate agent is required to disclose anything they know about the home or property, which may be considered a material defect. This includes flood plains.

If you are looking for flood plain information, your best bet is to get the information directly from the source: FEMA Map Service Center -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area