Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM

503 posts, read 937,043 times

Advertisements

Its called "New Evangelical" and its being a comfortable Christian, which cannot be. Me and my wife tried out Brookwood Church one Sunday and got up and left. They had arena style seating and had a countdown on the screen till the service started. They SERVED donuts and coffee, not just offered. The service was entitled summer of love, and the Pastor sang a solo of "Lean on Me". Seems to me that the early Christians did not get persecuted for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Its called "New Evangelical" and its being a comfortable Christian, which cannot be. Me and my wife tried out Brookwood Church one Sunday and got up and left. They had arena style seating and had a countdown on the screen till the service started. They SERVED donuts and coffee, not just offered. The service was entitled summer of love, and the Pastor sang a solo of "Lean on Me". Seems to me that the early Christians did not get persecuted for that.
It's called Seeker Friendly or the Emergent Church, I call it standing for nothing. I'm having this issue right now with New Spring. UGHH!!! Where are you going now? My wife and I have been to many, many churches since we moved here. We found one, became members and then the pastor started teaching really non Biblical stuff; we're already 1/3 perfect, we have a born again mind and a born again spirit, we're little Gods, etc. We sadly had to leave, the people were nice too. We came from an awesome church in LA, The Church on The Way and we're still looking for something comparable, who'd a thunk it, it the belt buckle of the Bible Belt and we can't find a church? lol

Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM

503 posts, read 937,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
It's called Seeker Friendly or the Emergent Church, I call it standing for nothing. I'm having this issue right now with New Spring. UGHH!!! Where are you going now? My wife and I have been to many, many churches since we moved here. We found one, became members and then the pastor started teaching really non Biblical stuff; we're already 1/3 perfect, we have a born again mind and a born again spirit, we're little Gods, etc. We sadly had to leave, the people were nice too. We came from an awesome church in LA, The Church on The Way and we're still looking for something comparable, who'd a thunk it, it the belt buckle of the Bible Belt and we can't find a church? lol

Though I really dont like sticking with a denomination, because it leads to people doing the "we are better than you" thing, we are going over to Brushy Creek Baptist and it is really good. I just want something that teaches the word without watering it down. I am so tired of the "Jellyfish Gospel". Why do we have to go to "church" and expect a "buffet". What ever happened to the "Word od God" being the food.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 PM

161 posts, read 416,466 times
Why are there people on here bashing other churches? If you don't like it and it's not your thing, leave it alone. Everyone is trying to get to the same place so if you don't like the road you're on, take another and forget about the one you were just on.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
thats all well and good, but I don't think a church should be geared 90% to new believers, most churches can still PREACH the word and help people grow while catering to new believers as well. Where are people supposed to go after they find god at marathon? A sermon can be life changing and still help those who have already changed their lives grow within the church, a church with only one gear seems hollow to me. sorry, just my opinion.
Well, there seem to be LOTS of churches in Greenville that fulfill the traditional religious desires. Why not have something new and different that will appeal to people who won't go to the more traditional churches? What's wrong with that?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 AM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
I guess some just want the old fire and brimstone style church. Thats not for me and is what I believe has turned people away from church. I like Brookwood and Redemption.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,808,567 times
My family and I found and started going to Southside Fellowship a few months back. It's very modern and a fairly large church (going to 3 services on Sunday starting this coming week), but they have an excellent plan and mission, and the two teaching pastors are just amazing. There is heavy emphasis on the Gospel, and they really bring it down to our level and apply it to our lives. I cannot wait to hear the sermon every week. It is a wonderful place to grow as a Christian. It also happens to be housed in a facility that formerly belonged to Brookwood.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,792 times
i am from fl and have recently visited marathon while seeing my son here in easley. its very much like the church in my hometown that i attend and that is why i researched it before i came up, i actually was looking for a saturday evening service. i think it was really good and i loved the worship.if you are in doubt as to what they believe or are saying why don't you go on line and listen to the sermons???? now that i am back home i still listen in on them every so often.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Well, there seem to be LOTS of churches in Greenville that fulfill the traditional religious desires. Why not have something new and different that will appeal to people who won't go to the more traditional churches? What's wrong with that?
I didn't say anything was wrong with new approaches to the gospel, I didn't say I was interested in a traditional church either.
I think both can exist in one church, is that strange? I just think a church that only preaches the "get saved" message every week and need fireworks, lasers, cable tv(superman) or what have you to get people into there church, may not be what god had intended for christians. its easy to get hooked into that, but not easy to grow and progress in your faith that way(in my opinion)
If thats fine for you than no harm done. I've said it before but apparently I need to reiterate, I love praise and worship and think its a very important part of any church, but it should never overshadow the message and learning that are supposed to take place in church.
Someone asked my opinion of the church and I gave it, don't roll your eyes at me for feeling that way.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
My family and I found and started going to Southside Fellowship a few months back. It's very modern and a fairly large church (going to 3 services on Sunday starting this coming week), but they have an excellent plan and mission, and the two teaching pastors are just amazing. There is heavy emphasis on the Gospel, and they really bring it down to our level and apply it to our lives. I cannot wait to hear the sermon every week. It is a wonderful place to grow as a Christian. It also happens to be housed in a facility that formerly belonged to Brookwood.
this sounds interesting, I will be visiting very soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area