Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times

Advertisements

I guess it's all relative, but having moved here from the Northern Virginia/DC area, I would say traffic is currently pretty minimal here. If you move here from a rural area, you may see it differently. I go through that traffic on 85 and Pelham and consider it a minor slowdown compared to what I saw in NOVA. Just stay away from Woodruff road on the weekends. It's bad, and they are building more shopping there, too! It's a suburban strip mall and sprawl nightmare that I avoid like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 AM

7 posts, read 25,944 times
Very true, it is all what you are use to. The only way to get a true feel for any area
is to visit and see if it fits.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Just make sure when you visit that you get out there on the highways at 5pm to give it a try. Head to the areas that have been pointed out as being congested and see if it compares to what you are used to. I'm from Chicago...I cut my commute from 1+ hours to 10 minutes. Hopefully you can do the same. I work from home now so its not very important anymore.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
I don't know if you guys are just trying to get people here or not, but traffic in Greenville is just as bad or worse than Columbia. I85 is a nightmare everyday and 385 out of Simpsonville backs up every morning. And there are a lot of wrecks here.
Having moved here from Los Angeles this quote cracks me up. I had an hour and a half commute each way for a 28 mile drive in California. Art's right, it's all relative. If we keep winning awards like top 10 places to live, more people will move here, more people= more traffic. It's that simple.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Having moved here from Los Angeles this quote cracks me up. I had an hour and a half commute each way for a 28 mile drive in California. Art's right, it's all relative. If we keep winning awards like top 10 places to live, more people will move here, more people= more traffic. It's that simple.
I agree, I have dealt with BAD traffic in major cities (Pittsburgh, NY/NJ area, D.C., ATLANTA!!) and to me reducing my speed 10 mph does not constitute BAD traffic, try being able to put your car in park and get out and stretch, lol Woodruff rd., Pelham, there are some heavy traffic areas east of the city but it doesn't phase me, and greenville is at least TRYING to add more roads to compensate which is nice to see.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
I've been on 85 with stopped traffic. I go to Atlanta a lot and don't have any problems. Besides the question was comparing mid-sized cities, so how did Atlanta get in? Greenville's traffic is every bit as congested as Columbia's was the point folks.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Are you kidding? Highway 17 through Charleston is terrible. Some of the worst sprawl you have ever laid your eyes on.
Don't forget I-26 & I-526 during rush hour. Ugh!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
I've been on 85 with stopped traffic. I go to Atlanta a lot and don't have any problems. Besides the question was comparing mid-sized cities, so how did Atlanta get in? Greenville's traffic is every bit as congested as Columbia's was the point folks.
I was agreeing with the fact that it is all relative, thats why I mentioned other cities I frequently go to, because to me the traffic on 85(I have never been stopped on 85, even during rush hour)to me is nothing compared to traffic on the 400 in Atlanta during rush hour, or 18 in NJ, I have no idea about columbia traffic because i've been there only a few times, therefore I was offering my opinion, based on places I know personally, I wasn't saying you were wrong or right, just comparing my own experience.

P.S. here's a link to the DOT live Cameras, maybe it could help ppl get an idea of what traffic is like at different times of day

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 05-22-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
I've been in stopped traffic in Greenville on 85 and 385. Just for the record, a 10 mile per hour slow down on a road thats posted at 60 is congestion. You're right, its all relative. Just seemed to be a "topper factor" going on. The bigger the area of course the more the congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area