Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2022, 12:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
I assume you are sincere but a Greenville resident would be accused of boosterism if they made similar comments regarding man made and natural odors.

It sounds like you are describing the Destin gulf shore area in Florida, not Charleston. Charleston and SC beaches don't have clear water like Destin in part due to large rivers like the Cooper and Ashley dumping into the ocean.

The only clear bodies of water in SC are Lake Jocassee and Keowee.
I didn’t say clear. I said blue. Brown water just doesn’t look good.

Google Kathleen Parker’s article about Charleston as Travel & Leisure’s darling for the past 10 years in a row and the effects of that designation for an understanding of why so many Charleston locals are saying “have at it, Greenville” in terms of tourism, although she failed to inform about what Charleston’s current mayor and city council have done to stem the tide of the Barcelonification of the Holy City.

Tourism can be a cash cow to help a city grow and expand, like training wheels helping a child ride a bicycle, but sooner or later the child no longer relies on the training wheels much relative to their overall bicycle-riding skills even if the training wheels aren’t removed.

BTW, also google Brian Hicks’s editorial about the Charleston CVB’s outreach to historically Black colleges and universities and its internship program to introduce young Blacks to the hospitality industry’s professional management careers.

And I purposely sniffed the morning air on the upper peninsula this morning but could not detect even a trace of a paper mill odor. And, like so many Charlestonians who love to say on social media how much they adore the smell of pluff mud, I sincerely do love it, as faint and occasional as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 04:15 PM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I didn’t say clear. I said blue. Brown water just doesn’t look good.
The Reedy River in downtown Greenville is probably the most photographed river in the state. As I mentioned upthread, the waterfall is the highest rated on TripAdvisor in the country and Falls Park is the highest rated park in the country on TripAdvisor. Brown water doesn't seem to be a problem for most people. The coffee you drink every morning is probably more brown.

I hesitate to call the Reedy a river because somebody might call that boosterism. It is probably a creek. It seems like outside of whitewater rivers and rivers like Buffalo in Arkansas that have a turquoise hue due to the local geology, rivers are generally brownish like the Reedy. The Reedy has some white due to the falls and shoals.

Some critics of Greenville allege the downtown has a DisneyWorld look to it. A Disneyworld river is probably going to be blue, without a speck of dirt in it. Greenville's "river" is au naturel. At one point, there were textile mill dyes in the Reedy. You have inadvertently called attention to Greenville's impressive river restoration effort which speaks to the progressive nature of Greenville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
And I purposely sniffed the morning air on the upper peninsula this morning but could not detect even a trace of a paper mill odor. And, like so many Charlestonians who love to say on social media how much they adore the smell of pluff mud, I sincerely do love it, as faint and occasional as it is.
That goes without saying. But I wonder how can you love a smell if it is faint.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-08-2022 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 05:35 PM

300 posts, read 254,565 times
Under Falls Park bridge the water is polluted. The Reedy River is one of the most polluted rivers in South Carolina!

Old 08-08-2022, 05:49 PM

All rivers are polluted with at least animal waste. That's why water is filtered for drinking. The ocean is full of waste from sea creatures. The big waves seem like fun but you have a greater chance of swallowing animal waste in the ocean. That along with the sharks and jellyfish are the main reasons I stay out of the ocean along with not liking saltwater on or in me.

The main issue with the Reedy River today is E. Coli which is largely due to animal waste.

The Virgin River that runs through Zion National Park has toxic cyanobacteria. A dog died shortly after drinking from the river two summers ago but crowds of people hike up the Zion Narrows every day it is open to the public.

If you want to swim, it is best to hit the pool. Warm lakes and rivers with murky water also have brain eating ameobas that do exactly that. A young girl got that at the Whitewater center in Charlotte a few years ago. I always wear a nose clip when I'm kayaking or in a lake.

The safest natural bodies of water to be in are whitewater rivers that are cold.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-08-2022 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 06:16 PM

300 posts, read 254,565 times
Yes animal waste and also leaky sewer pipes. The river is ranked impaired. E. coli levels are at over twice the excepted levels. Greenville News has done several sample studies over the years. Look it up.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:16 PM

Nobody has said you should swim in the Reedy River. There are signs in the river that say not to. If you see somebody in the Reedy River, you know they are not Greenville residents.

The previous discussion was about the color of the water, not a recommendation to go swimming in it. Nobody's trying to trick you.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Greenville has all the charm of an open air mall. It’s easily the least interesting metro between the two Carolinas.
It seems like Greenville along with Charleston have the only two downtowns in the Carolinas that get a lot of buzz.

For some reason, leaders from a large number of cities have visited Greenville to study the downtown and get ideas for their town. Upthread I linked an article about leaders from Brunswick Georgia, on the coast, visiting Greenville. It seems like they would have visited Charleston given the landscape similarity and closer distance. If they had visited Charleston previously, apparently they didn't feel like it was enough to model their city on. Or they wanted a taxpayer paid trip to "study" another city?

Perhaps people find open air malls charming? Most downtown areas are not charming in my view but I'm an outdoors kind of guy. Greenville is one of the few that I like, and I rarely visit malls. I probably prefer to go to the Greenridge shopping center in Greenville over most of the downtowns in the Carolinas.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-08-2022 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 09:07 PM

I came across this Reedy River Report Card website. Recreation – Reedy River Report Card

It states the following:

E. coli levels in the Reedy tend to be above acceptable levels only after a rain event. "The good news is that recreation in the Reedy River is only a problem 24-48 hours after a rain event. A good rule of thumb - if the river is brown with sediment, keep out!"

The Reedy is deemed safe for fishing, except in the Lake Conestee Nature Preserve. I don't think I could eat anything that came out of any river that flows through an urban area.

The ducks and geese on the river seem to be healthy enough, unless the city is introducing new birds frequently.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The Reedy River in downtown Greenville is probably the most photographed river in the state. As I mentioned upthread, the waterfall is the highest rated on TripAdvisor in the country and Falls Park is the highest rated park in the country on TripAdvisor. Brown water doesn't seem to be a problem for most people. The coffee you drink every morning is probably more brown.

I hesitate to call the Reedy a river because somebody might call that boosterism. It is probably a creek. It seems like outside of whitewater rivers and rivers like Buffalo in Arkansas that have a turquoise hue due to the local geology, rivers are generally brownish like the Reedy. The Reedy has some white due to the falls and shoals.

Some critics of Greenville allege the downtown has a DisneyWorld look to it. A Disneyworld river is probably going to be blue, without a speck of dirt in it. Greenville's "river" is au naturel. At one point, there were textile mill dyes in the Reedy. You have inadvertently called attention to Greenville's impressive river restoration effort which speaks to the progressive nature of Greenville.

That goes without saying. But I wonder how can you love a smell if it is faint.
Different strokes: blue, gray and black rivers, lakes, ponds, harbors and oceans for me. How can one love a scent if its faint? Wow. Perfumes and colognes come to mind. The most photographed river in the state? Maybe the most photographed couple of spots on a river, the same ones over and over. Charleston’s water is a popular photography subject, from many angles and from an infinite number of spots.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:07 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Greenville has all the charm of an open air mall. It’s easily the least interesting metro between the two Carolinas.
While there's a lot of over-the-top cheerleading of Greenville happening in this thread, this has to be the most disingenuous take on the region I've seen in some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area