Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2023, 08:50 AM

40 posts, read 31,425 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone..
Retirement for me and my wife is just around the corner. The Greenville area is one of two areas we are seriously considering. Being of Asian descent(from the Philippines), how is the Asian population being received in the area? I don't mean anything bad, just wanted an honest, real life opinion.

The other area we ae seriously considering is the Houston area. I know that Houston is very diversified.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 10:06 AM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
Hello everyone..
Retirement for me and my wife is just around the corner. The Greenville area is one of two areas we are seriously considering. Being of Asian descent(from the Philippines), how is the Asian population being received in the area? I don't mean anything bad, just wanted an honest, real life opinion.

The other area we ae seriously considering is the Houston area. I know that Houston is very diversified.

Thanks.
I'm not Filipino, but I know some in the area. There is even a Filipino social group. My fiancee is Filipina and will be moving here. Her Aunt lives right down the street from me.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:01 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
Hello everyone..

Thanks.
I don't know the context of your query, so I will answer it in this way:

I am of Italian descent, and I live in the deep South. There are few Italian markets and bakeries that support my ethnicity, so I have had to adjust my diet accordingly. But I have never had an issue of not being accepted in the area because of my ethnicity.

I have a friend who's Cambodian, and she too, lives in the area, and is widely received.

In the eleven years that I have lived in the South, I have found Southerners to be quite hospitable: they judge people on the content of their character, not their ethnicity, and if you are a good neighbor, are friendly, keep your property nice, etc., that's their primary concern.

As for Greenville, it's quite a City! It's small, but I marvel at the natural beauty that's here, and the diversity of food options.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:26 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
I believe that you will find yourself welcome here.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:37 PM

689 posts, read 638,689 times
I think there's two things to consider.

(1) Will you feel "welcome?" I think you will find yourself welcome and accepted in many places.

(2) Will your "needs" be met? For example, you may want to buy certain groceries. You may want to be around others who speak your language. All of that depends on you. Check Yelp, Google, and other sites for the businesses.

Houston and Greenville are very different areas when it comes to demographics, diversity, topography, and climate.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:32 PM

40 posts, read 31,425 times
The last couple of weeks were very hectic for us. We visited Houston on the Labor Day weekend. We then visited the Greenville area the following weekend. And...we decided on the Greenville area. Retirement is now less than two months away.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:09 AM

144 posts, read 146,497 times
I think you will like your choice.
Make that move as quciky as you can however as real estate prices here are on the rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: