Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 AM

82 posts, read 315,831 times

Advertisements

I've heard bad things about the traffic on Woodruff Road. I drove down Woodruff Road during my recent visit to Greenville but had no problems since I went around 7:30 a.m. I am interested in Southside Christian school but am wondering if the traffic congestion makes it hard to drop-off and pick-up the kids. Does anyone have children attending this school? Can you give an opinion on this please?

P.S. I loved Greenville. Was only there for 3 days but ended up buying a house near downtown! It's amazing how friendly everyone is in the South. People in Minnesota don't even say "bless you" if you sneeze!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times
The only times I have ever had problems really on Woodruff Road is on the weekends and that is between Verdae Blvd. and I-385. East of I-385, where Southside Christian is, it's not as bad. In the morning, the bad traffic is west bound and in the afternoon it's east bound. Pretty much the opposite of your route.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:14 PM

617 posts, read 2,573,538 times
It really does depend on where you're coming from/going to. I live downtown and used to have soccer practices way down Woodruff Road, passed Southside Christian and Five Forks, and it would take me at least 30-40 minutes to get there, if not longer. This would have been around 5:30pm. Lots of fun! (notice the sarcasm? haha)

Anyways, I wouldn't necessarily say it is difficult to get anywhere on Woodruff Rd, but it can take a while sometimes because of traffic. Driving from downtown to woodruff road everyday is something I would never do...but there are plenty of people who do.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,733 times
That part of Woodruff isn't too bad, don't think you'll have too much problem in the morning but afternoons coming from downtown will be slow especially from 85/385 to Walmart. Map it out and take some other route to get there. Might be better to take Roper Mountain to 14 then to Woodruff to the school but you'll work it out.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 AM

82 posts, read 315,831 times
Thanks for your tips and input, everyone! I might choose not to make that drive every day once I get used to living in the area. Coming from MN where everything is an hour away, I think my sense of distance is a little off. I thought downtown to Woodruff Road was a breeze!! Hehe.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM

617 posts, read 2,573,538 times
You'll just have to drive it yourself and see what you think. Like I said before, it isn't necessarily difficult to get to anywhere on Woodruff, but depending on time of day it can take a little while. Also keep in mind that if you're coming from a larger city, we tend to over-exaggerate traffic here. I think traffic on Woodruff Road is terrible for Greenville, but compared to some roads I've been on in larger cities it's nothing!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM

607 posts, read 1,403,512 times
It isn't too bad. However, the traffic light at HWY 14 and Woodruff takes FOREVER. If there are a lot of cars, I have had to wait through that light twice just to cross Woodruff going on 14. I'm not positive, but I think there is an entrance to Southside Christian off of 14 behind the corner gas station if you don't want to enter off Woodruff.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,605 times
I have a child at Southside Christian and I think that drop off and pick up is well organized and the traffic is not that bad on that piece of Woodruff Rd. I use Hwy 14 to access it though, so I just take a left at the light onto Woodruff and then an immediate left into the school. The entrance on Hwy. 14 is not for entering to drop off kids. Definitely check it out. The school is excellent!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 AM

347 posts, read 980,919 times
When dropping off kids at school, anywhere you go is going to have traffic (from the school-goers). Around 7:30 a.m., Woodruff road should have just about as any other road. Rush hour is when it gets "bad", but even then it's only about a couple of miles that gets congested.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 AM

262 posts, read 825,014 times
What part of Mn? Hubby is from Mankato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area