Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,591 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are currently planning a move with our dog to the Greenville area in the Fall. We know that the South is pretty hot and humid, but when do the temperatures start cooling down? Air travel prohibits pets flying during the summer months, but we are considering late September travel. Our dog has a pretty heavy coat and we do not want heatstroke issues causing any more stress than the travel she'll be put through. For our pet's sake should we wait and bring her at a later date? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,554,696 times
October can still be pretty warm around here. I read somewhere that the airlines have restrictions for pet travel because of the heat. They might be able to tell you more specifically.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM

548 posts, read 1,981,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humidsweat View Post
Hi,
We are currently planning a move with our dog to the Greenville area in the Fall. We know that the South is pretty hot and humid, but when do the temperatures start cooling down? Air travel prohibits pets flying during the summer months, but we are considering late September travel. Our dog has a pretty heavy coat and we do not want heatstroke issues causing any more stress than the travel she'll be put through. For our pet's sake should we wait and bring her at a later date? Thanks!
Is it possible you could drive instead? I hate to see a dog in the cargo hold of a plane.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 PM

8 posts, read 27,776 times
September is usually pretty mild but I'm not sure what the airline requirements are. I'm sure if you call them they will be able to tell you the months that are restricted.

Good luck with everything. You will love Greenville!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM

11,712 posts, read 24,837,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Is it possible you could drive instead? I hate to see a dog in the cargo hold of a plane.
Agreed. I remember the first time I saw a dog in its cage after the plane flight. It did not look happy at all.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,591 times
Default air travel with pets to Greenville

Hi,

Thanks so much for your replies. We are looking forward to making a home in the area. I will check again with the airlines, but I believe--unless the southern states have longer restrictions--air travel for pets is restricted from June to September. I wish we could drive, but we are coming from Europe. Our actual arrival is to be the beginning of October. If this is too hot we may need to kennel her here in Europe for a month and hope the weather turns cooler, but even that also seems extreme to be away from her that long. Is October much cooler than September?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM

275 posts, read 1,762,406 times
humidsweat;

I just had my large labrador flown to Germany from the San Francisco airport a little over a month ago. I will need to have him flown to South Carolina in 2 years when I am finished with my work assignment in Germany. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, if you need an airline recommendation, Lufthansa cargo did a fantastic job transporting my dog. He arrived in Frankfurt healthy and happy with no ill effects from the trip.

Good Luck!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,565,681 times
When I had to fly a dog in July - I found a night flight -- I think the restriction is air temps above 85. I am not sure but I think cargo holds are now pretty much the same temperature as passengar compartment [though even that can get very cold against the outside skin] -- but the bigger issue is the hold on the tarmac or in an idling aircraft waiting at the gate or on the runway. At least that is my knowledge concerning shipping medical products. I think some airlines have air conditioned holding areas for animals; you may want to check into that.

I know my own dogs do not start panting until around 90 but they are working dogs conditioned to local heat conditions. Conditioning your dog to heat in advance will go a long way.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 AM

108 posts, read 372,098 times
Is your dog short nosed at all? If so, you'll need to wait even longer as they are not as efficient when it comes to diffusing heat.

You might want to consider getting a flight that flies into GSP at night so that you avoid the heat of the day, but you'll also need to be sure any layovers are in cities that have lower temps during the day to avoid previously mentioned problems while sitting on the tarmac.

Also, have you kennel trained your dog yet? If not, please do so *now* so she's happy and relaxed in it for long periods of time by the time the trip comes up. I've heard plenty of horror stories about dogs panicking and/or escaping when their owners didn't acclimate them prior to the flight.

This website should help with details on flying w/ dogs in the US (straight from the USDA, which is in charge of regulating pets flying): USDA - APHIS - Animal Welfare - Animal Care

Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 AM

548 posts, read 1,981,784 times
October is much cooler. Usually it starts cooling off late September. If you fly in to arrive at night (try to fly into Atlanta) you can then drive up from there which would be easier than carting off to another smaller aircraft. If you have to fly into New York or DC first then it should'nt be a problem if you get a late afternoon flight into Greenville. I think you'll be ok taking him/her with you when you come. Just make sure to ask that all the connections will go smoothly. The trick now, will be picking an airline you feel good about taking proper care of your dog. Ask in airline forums regarding this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area