Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 28,960 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how the drought affects the Upstate area. I have learned that it is a persistent problem and some areas already have mandatory and voluntary water restrictions.

I would like to know how serious is this problem. The water restrictions mostly focus on watering the lawns? Is there any area that has water shortage already? Is it possible that the Upstate area will run out of water? (I hope not!). More rain could solve this problem or the water sources are already overused? I am sorry if my questions sound foolish.

I have read previous posts about this matter and I wonder what kind of plan the city has to avoid problems due to the drought.

If any of my information is incorrect please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to reading my thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,551,954 times
Usually mandatory water restrictions means that you cannot water your lawn/garden or wash your car on a day that you are not scheduled to do so. Usually this is determined by your address; odd numbers water on odd days and even numbers water on even days. Some areas will restrict outside water usage to certain hours of the day as well. And depending on just how dry an area is they may restrict outside watering completely.

Drought is already affecting some towns in the area; and is definitely affecting anyone with well water. Most wells are dry by now and those folks are looking to be connected to city lines. This is happening in Greenville for some homeowners now.

Greer this week has instituted restrictions but I haven't read how broad those restrictions maybe yet. Greenville Water System has assured us that we have enough water but they have also asked for conservation. For the year we are about 10 inches below normal. If it doesn't start raining soon Greenville will likely pass restrictions soon.

Where you really notice the deficit is on the lakes. We were in Myrtle Beach last week and one of the lakes on the property we stay at was low. I'd been under the impression that the coast was getting their fair share of rain but if that lake is low chances are that they are not getting a normal amount. On Lake Hartwell many docks that had been surrounded by water are now high and dry.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:35 PM

642 posts, read 2,090,735 times
I'm pretty sure Spartanburg has water restrictions up right now? Think I seen it on the news. I think it would have to rain just about every darn day for the rest of the summer to be back to normal.We are not just behind in this year but years past as well. Think Greenville should had been smart and put restrictions up all ready before things get too low.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Greenville ended 2007 with about a 14 inch deficit. That makes your total deficit so far for this drought of 24 inches.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:22 AM

107 posts, read 520,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoel View Post
I would like to know how the drought affects the Upstate area. I have learned that it is a persistent problem and some areas already have mandatory and voluntary water restrictions.

I would like to know how serious is this problem. The water restrictions mostly focus on watering the lawns? Is there any area that has water shortage already? Is it possible that the Upstate area will run out of water? (I hope not!). More rain could solve this problem or the water sources are already overused? I am sorry if my questions sound foolish.

I have read previous posts about this matter and I wonder what kind of plan the city has to avoid problems due to the drought.

If any of my information is incorrect please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to reading my thread.
What drought?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:06 AM

470 posts, read 596,065 times
Default Lake Jocassee

I was up at Lake Jocassee on Tuesday and was told it is 27 feet lower than normal!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 AM

The Greenville News today shows Jocassee's level at 1083; normal is 1110.

Lake Hartwell is about 12 feet below full pool.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,604 times
It is all relative.

Greenville averages about 50 inches of rain a year which is higher than most places and rainfall increases considerably as you go towards the mountains - where the reservoirs are.

I know the lakes are down some but the deficit lately hasn't really affected the vegetation around my house, for example. I didn't water the lawn once last year and the only time it turned brown was during that weeklong stretch of temps around 100 last August. It greened up right away with the first rain. With the rain we had last week there has been a burst of growth this month despite the drought. The trees down seem to be showing a lot of stress.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:04 PM

We had rain last week? Sorry I was at the beach and missed it but we had a fair share of it down there.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 PM

774 posts, read 1,859,466 times
Default Zero Growth Last Year

That's right. Zero. Esp. around Sparanburg. There's some good towns ... but on the whole, I say some sour attitudes.

Drought means that the normal hay growing region had to import most to feed the horses.

I saw some seething racism in areas sounding Spartanburg. But plenty of good people too.

All in all ... it's dry up thar. Not real friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area