Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:26 PM

192 posts, read 607,625 times

Advertisements

What gives? I get the whole heritage vs hate argument but seriously...dont South Carolinians realize how backward this makes the whole state seem? It's also a symbol of hatred NOW...regardless of what it stood for 140 years ago.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:38 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Ummm...did you forget what part of the country you're in? LOL.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
For some, old ways never die.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM

23 posts, read 114,261 times
It only stands for hate for those that allow it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
What gives? I get the whole heritage vs hate argument but seriously...dont South Carolinians realize how backward this makes the whole state seem? It's also a symbol of hatred NOW...regardless of what it stood for 140 years ago.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,843 times
Nothing wrong with the confederate flag I guess im a yankneck then cause I have one. I like the colors of it and how it looks. I did not get mine too promote hate it was given too me as a gift. If that is the only way that you can only look at the flag. Then I guess that is just your prob.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM

12 posts, read 28,584 times
Default Heritage or Hate

140 years ago or current day...........OUR heritage is OUR heritage, and we are proud of it. If you've got a problem with it, or think that South Carolinians are "BACKWARDS" ........it should make it easier for you to kiss our asses on your way out!!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM

192 posts, read 607,625 times
Default um

I dont look at it that way at all. Just everyone else in the country. It's sad too because I love it here...but as soon as someone comes here and sees that it reinforces the redneck hick stereotype of South Carolina.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyLadySC View Post
140 years ago or current day...........OUR heritage is OUR heritage, and we are proud of it. If you've got a problem with it, or think that South Carolinians are "BACKWARDS" ........it should make it easier for you to kiss our asses on your way out!!

LMAO You rock.... I was thinking that... but didn't want to say it. I don't live in SC anymore... but it will Always be home to me and I'll be moving back first change I am given.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,745 times
THE OLD CONFEDERATE FLAG
Dear old sister Battle Flag
With all your wear and tear
Please help me understand why
I was taken down and now looked upon with spite.

Oh my young sister
Those that took you down
Are the ones that should be looked upon with spite.

Let me tell you my story so you can see from which you came.
For you see I was there.
It was me that flew over the camp in the early morning
And had the smoke from the campfire caress me.
It was me that heard the men talk of home and of their families.
It was me that heard them laugh among themselves
And silently pray when alone.

It was me the Flag Bearer held tight.
It was me that heard the Reb Yell as into battle they ran.
It was me that had the smoke from gunfire forever embedded in my fabric.
It was me that was falling when my carrier was mortally wounded.
It was me that NEVER hit the ground
For another soldier was there to catch me.

Then after the battle it was me that had to hear the cries of the wounded.
It was me that had to smell the blood.
It was me that also had the sweet sick smell of death flow over my stars.
It was me that had to see brother bury brother.

When it was me they carried into battle the next day.
It was me that NEVER saw these men give up or give in.
It was me that did see them grow old and weary of battle.
It was me that they gingerly folded and
Risk their life to hide when the South fell.

You see my young sister you have a rich heritage and history.
You are not alone,
For I see those that are fighting for you to return to your place of honor.
These men and women are the none other than the
Sons and Daughters of my men.
Yes they fight a different battle,
But they fight with the same convection as there Fathers before them.

So my young sister flag I say to you,
There is no shame in honoring our past.
Worry not young sister for
YOU WILL BE RESTORED TO
YOUR PLACE OF HONOR.

Charles W. Lee
July 16, 2000

Old 07-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
I dont look at it that way at all. Just everyone else in the country. It's sad too because I love it here...but as soon as someone comes here and sees that it reinforces the redneck hick stereotype of South Carolina.
Actually you are incorrect about how everyone else in the country looks at it as hate. You'd be shocked that nearly most people I've come across in the many states I've lived in understand the Heritage part of it and find it sad that certain organizations use it as a symbol of hate... or try to convince others that hate it what it stands for. So NO not everyone else in the country.... just a percentage of people who can't appreciate Southern heritage because they DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT.... My husband is Indiana born and raised and he not being a southerner appreciates our flag and it's heritage and those that support their heritage without fear of being judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area