Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times

Advertisements

As a newcomer to the Upstate, I was excited to see a two-page spread in today's Greenville News on "2008 Best of the Upstate." Then, once I started reading some of the results, it became apparent that most of us who post on this forum didn't vote.

I certainly don't know enough about my new hometown to comment on many of the categories, but my gosh...

Best Italian Restaurant - Olive Garden
Best Pizza - Papa John's
Best Burrito - Taco Bell

Who ARE these voters????

At least they got Best Bakery right with Strossner's. I went there the other day to get a birthday cake for one of my husband's co-workers. My goodness... I didn't want to leave. Yummmmmmm!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
As a newcomer to the Upstate, I was excited to see a two-page spread in today's Greenville News on "2008 Best of the Upstate." Then, once I started reading some of the results, it became apparent that most of us who post on this forum didn't vote.

I certainly don't know enough about my new hometown to comment on many of the categories, but my gosh...

Best Pizza - Papa John's
Best Burrito - Taco Bell

Who ARE these voters????

At least they got Best Bakery right with Strossner's. I went there the other day to get a birthday cake for one of my husband's co-workers. My goodness... I didn't want to leave. Yummmmmmm!!!
I know for a fact that some restaurants have their employees devote a certain amount of time each week to "stuffing the ballot box" so to speak. Sometimes the "Best of the Upstate" winners are honestly good places, but other times you have to question it. I think this is true everywhere.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:15 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
The "Best of the Upstate" awards should always be qualified by the inclusion of this phrase, "as voted by readers of The Greenville News." In other words, this is not a professional system and is more a "gimmick" (to gain more interest in their publication) than anything else. Of course, having a sign or decal with the award clearly labeled in a business does have its benefits.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post

Best Pizza - Papa John's
Best Burrito - Taco Bell

Who ARE these voters????

We have the same problem in Columbia. Why people pick Olive Garden when there are so many choices for authentic Italian food is beyond me, but they have many locations throughout the country and many people seem to vote for them because of name recognition. My favorite restaurant in Greenville is the Middle Eastern place across from Greenville Tec on South Pleasantburg. The name escapes me at the moment, though.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:53 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Pita House

Old 08-03-2008, 04:55 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
I love Pita House! The adjoining market is cool, too.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:53 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Pita House
That's right. I used to eat there all the time when I used to travel more for work.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 PM

20 posts, read 100,780 times
They have to separate the chain joints from the privately owned businesses. Then you will get some better data. I'm sure there is some heavy ballot box stuffing going on. Really now...KFC best chicken...ewe! That's just wrong on so many levels!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 62,989 times
As a teenager, I know tons of my fellow high schoolers who worked at chains devoted hours to filling out these forms. Totally fake. Upstatefoodie.com will give you a better idea. Put out by the Greenville Journal in a guide too. Just call and ask for one or pick it up around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area