Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM

137 posts, read 396,937 times

Advertisements

I moved to the area (5 miles north of Travelers Rest) last Winter and bought a new HD TV, but only hooked it up to rabbit ears. I get great digital reception on CBS and NBC, but no FOX or ABC. So, to anyone using antennas, and hopefully near my area 12 miles North of Greenville, what stations can be received with the better, and high-mounted antennas?

I watch so little TV these days, I can't see laying out the money to receive over 100 stations. I did that, plus TIVO. I had a hard time squeezing in time to live my own life, as I tend to get addicted, as they want you to do! Any help along this line would be appreciated.

Also, if one has a late model, digital TV receiver, is the converter box going to be needed in Feb.? No one seems to make that clear on those discussion threads. Seems like they are always talking about someone with an analog TV using an antenna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Well, beginning in February 2009 you won't be able to watch tv using an antenna anymore. You'll have to buy a converter box.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,357 times
check out tvfool dot com --- just type in your address and viola it tells you the tv stations that you should be able to receive.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM

137 posts, read 396,937 times
Thanks leggo,

Great link. It validates what I get now on rabbit ears, so now I know where to go from here to get more. One link is worth a thousand words.

thurx

Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Well, beginning in February 2009 you won't be able to watch tv using an antenna anymore. You'll have to buy a converter box.
Actually you will still need that antenna; it hooks into the converter box. Or so that's what the commercial says.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,560 times
Why would you need a converter if you have a modern HDTV ready set? I have a friend north of TR (he's on this forum once in a while) and he gets pretty good reception with a regular house antenna. Maybe you need a step up from rabbit ears? He is up on a knoll, though. Our property is also 5 miles north of TR- howdy, neighbor!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
You will still be able to use an antenna - many stations have digital broadcast TV

You may need a "special" antenna - the last link lets you type in your address to tell you what stations would be accessible and what type of antenna you would need to access them. [The color code on the channel guide corresponds to the color code on the antenna selector section]

ALL-DIGITAL TELEVISION IS COMING (AND SOONER THAN YOU THINK!)

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
Address (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx - broken link)

Oh, I see tvfool does the same thing. Well it is validation of the validation

Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
Why would you need a converter if you have a modern HDTV ready set?
You don't need the converter box if your TV is already capable of receiving a digital signal via an antenna. If you are using an older TV which is not capable of receiving a digital signal via an antenna, you have the option to either acquire satellite (dish) service, cable service, or purchase the converter box and just use an antenna. It is that simple. Most modern TVs have the capability to receive a digital signal, thus no need to purchase a converter box.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
For people that don't have cable or dish or other satelite service if they have a very old tv they are going to need that converter in addition to the antennae they currently use. I don't have any idea how old a tv can't pick up digital but I'm pretty sure my set that looks about 20 years old is not digital ready. It would be nice if there was a site where you could enter your make and model and check compatability. Anybody know of such a site?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 AM

470 posts, read 595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
For people that don't have cable or dish or other satelite service if they have a very old tv they are going to need that converter in addition to the antennae they currently use. I don't have any idea how old a tv can't pick up digital but I'm pretty sure my set that looks about 20 years old is not digital ready. It would be nice if there was a site where you could enter your make and model and check compatability. Anybody know of such a site?
I would go to your televisions manufacturers website, look for support or contact us and ask via e-mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area