Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,957 times

Advertisements

from having lived in rochester, NY all my life I can tell you that fire ants are a thing we didn't have to worry about. They are plentiful down here. they bite and I have scars from them. don't go bare foot. There a gnats or something like them that come after your face. moist areas. That happens when I do a little work outside. since I'm doing a lot of work outside, I got a fine netting from the fabric store and put over a straw hat with wide brim. loose elastic around neck and they stay outside the hat. I've had about fifty of them on the netting at one time. look up poison bits for info about the spiders. and the snakes to look out for. scorpions too. emg33

Last edited by emg33; 05-09-2007 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM

49 posts, read 254,248 times
Coming from FLA - the bugs are nothing compared to down there. Are there no bugs up north? Never lived there. I don't think the bugs are that bad at all, nowhere near as bad as some of these posts make it sound. But then again, all I have to compare to is FLA.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,514 times
I don't think the bugs are all that bad either. I rarely ever see a mosquito here. Those gnats/noseeums/whatever are a bit of a nuissance whenever I'm walking around at times, especially here in the little rual city of Travelers Rest and around the lake at Furman University.

The fire ants are present here, but they're not nearly as bad as they were when I lived in Florida. Also, if you buy that over and out or a similar product and spread it over your entire lawn, they're gone (usually moved into your neighbor's lawn, so look out vwsam! ). LOL!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 AM

49 posts, read 254,248 times
So that's where they came from, huh? :-)

Old 05-09-2007, 08:58 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,514 times
Maybe...I dunno.

If Mrs. vwsam will allow it, I'd be happy to spread the fire aunt stuff on your lawn, too while I'm covering my own...we can force them on down one more lot.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,880 times
Have noticed lots of postings from people living in Travelers Rest!

I lived there from 1999 through 2001 and am moving back in a month. Anyone interested in having a small get together of TR residents from this forum? I'd host, but our house won't be ready for another month and a half.

Maybe we just meet at a park in TR? we have two year olds, do ya'll have young kids that would enjoy the park?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:19 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
I have to laugh when I read about bugs in the South. I'm originally from CT, and you virtually cannot go outside summer evenings for the mosquitoes. And in rural ME, blackflies will make you WANT to get eaten by a bear! I've heard that Alaska has some of the worst mosquitoes anywhere (for a short season). Oddly enough, we rarely see mosquitoes here in FL. There's enough other critters to make up for it, though. Everywhere you go, there's gonna be something. Take appropriate precautions, and enjoy yourself!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,880 times
My wife is from Michigan. She is insisting that our porch be screened. I'm from New Orleans. Haven't been bothered by the bugs here in 7 years.

There is a time when the yellow jackets will be all over you if you have an open soft drink. And the flies will aggrevate but not bite.

I have been on the upstate lakes when biting flies have been an issue.

In Louisiana you literally had to breath through your shirt or else suck mosquitos into your lungs.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
I've heard that once you get far enough off the ground, the skeeters won't fly that high. I'm not sure if your porch is high enough, though.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:51 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
It usually freezes at least once every year in Greenville but it takes more than one freeze a year to kill the bugs off fully and so it seems there are more bugs down here. I hate those "no see uyms" but they seem to be more of a nuisance for only a short time; usually by tomorrow they are gone and it depends on how humid it is too. We just broke temp records for the last 3 or 4 days here getting as hot as 105F. The pools here are too hot and need a cool down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area