Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,514 times

Advertisements

Hi:
Read about the bugs. Yuck, don't like them here or there
We're coming to Foxwood Hills from Chicago.
Anyone know if snakes are in the Lake? (Hartwell) or in the woods.
If so, do they bite?
What about yankees? Are people ok about yankees living there?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digits View Post
Hi:
Read about the bugs. Yuck, don't like them here or there
We're coming to Foxwood Hills from Chicago.
If so, do they bite?
Thanks
Come on down, everybody's welcome. There will be snakes in the woods around Hartwell, and I'm sure they are in the lake as well. For the most part no snake will bite unless they feel threatened. If you see a snake don't get closer, don't poke it with a stick, you know...common sense things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
I've never seen flying Palmetto bugs in Greenville. I lived there from 4-8, then moved to Florida where I saw my first flyer We're moving back in June '09 and I will be glad to get away from the ones that fly.
Yeah, they're more common towards the low country. Every now and then there will be one here, but very rarely.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Quote:
Hi:

If so, do they bite?
Yes, yes - if you step on them they will bite. I don't know about cottonmouths - they say "no" but they say they are not in the Charlotte area to and I know we have seen them - the white mouth, fat body, and aggressive behavior are give-aways. We killed one in a populated area and it was definitely a pit viper. [I normally try to avoid hurting any snake]

http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/...aroundlake.pdf

Old 09-29-2008, 02:49 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times
Quote:
Thanks
I am not real keen on people moving here. Nothing against you personally, it's just that you take away the culture whether you mean to or not.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-29-2008 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: edit out the comment since the thread these posts was in have been relocated here

Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Don't let guestposter24's comment deter you. There are many natives that feel that way, but there are a lot of foreigners down here. Some CUBS fans too.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM

36 posts, read 122,767 times
go cubbies! i'm from the 'burbs (downers grove) originally. i miss a good snow around christmas time but i do like it here.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Don't let guestposter24's comment deter you. There are many natives that feel that way, but there are a lot of foreigners down here. Some CUBS fans too.
I'm sure he or she is a wonderful individual. I just don't want them coming down and further damaging our culture.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 AM

36 posts, read 122,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I'm sure he or she is a wonderful individual. I just don't want them coming down and further damaging our culture.
i'm going to assume that was in jest. :P my husband teases me about my yankee-ness all the time. tries to get me to say "y'all", etc. i love the mix here in greenville. you're bound to have "outsiders" coming for school, etc. personally, i'm waiting for a real chicago-style pizza place to make it's way here... what's not to love about that? ever tried a chicago-style hot dog?? friend, you have not lived...

Old 09-30-2008, 02:45 PM

161 posts, read 416,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjee View Post
i'm going to assume that was in jest. :P my husband teases me about my yankee-ness all the time. tries to get me to say "y'all", etc. i love the mix here in greenville. you're bound to have "outsiders" coming for school, etc. personally, i'm waiting for a real chicago-style pizza place to make it's way here... what's not to love about that? ever tried a chicago-style hot dog?? friend, you have not lived...
No..I think he is being serious.

And I would kill for a Gold Coast dog right now and a slice from Uno's.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjee View Post
No it wasn't. I haven't tried a Chicago style hot dog but I have had the pizza(it was good).

When I went to Chicago, I adapted. I said "you guys", etc. The problem with the mix is that there's an advantage for the Yankee culture because that's what's in the mainstream American TV, movies, radio, etc. Soon there won't be a mix.

Why not say "y'all"? It's rather handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area