Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,335,100 times

Advertisements

Has Greenville done any annexing of any of its urban area this decade? If I remember correctly the urban area is right at 400,000. So we essentially have a city of 400,000 showing at around 60,000. Because of this Greenville won the best future micro-city. Micro-city being described as a city below 100k residents, which is unfair to the other cities being compared to Greenville. Their city limit populations are their true sizes. Just to keep things going right, don't confuse urban area with metro area as I commonly see on here. Some of the cities they compared Greenville to were Wilmington DE, Fargo ND, Idaho Falls ID, and Danville VA and some other cities I haven't heard of. All of these have urban areas a lot smaller than Greenville except for maybe Wilmington which I'll have to research. I felt this would be a great topic to discuss. Lets please stay civil. Just for info, small cities start at 100k, large cities at 500k, and major cities at 1 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 AM

Bump

Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 AM

745 posts, read 2,234,707 times
Annexation can be a hot button, that's for sure. Here in FL, it's an on-going battle, with cities wanting to annex out-lying areas (read: increase their tax base) and some citizens being strongly for, and some being strongly against. Our neighborhood was annexed by one of the most popular towns a few years ago. It's been mostly a plus for us- better services, schools, and it probably even improved the value of our house. The cost was minimal. Usually it leads to higher taxes, and more government regulation. I voted for the annexation, because the other neighboring town is kind of a pit, and one of the two would have gotten us anyway. That being said, the property we bought in Travelers Rest is so far out that it likely won't be annexed in my lifetime, which is the way I want it. It's rural acreage, and I don't want the city saying what I can and can't do- that's why I bought acreage in the first place. Greenville County has enough restrictions without the town adding their two cents worth. Hopefully, my taxes will stay lower, too. If it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, it's because my needs are changing now that I don't have school-age children, and won't be living in dense suburbs. I don't know if annexation is put to a public vote in SC (it should be), but before you vote, do all the research, and see if it impacts you positively or negatively.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:01 AM

I don't mind it if it improves services. I'm currently paying Simpsonville city taxes with no regrets.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:12 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,543,625 times
SC annexation laws prevent this from happening too much. Greenville did annex the land that CU-ICAR surrounds a few years back so it can be done; but for the most part that annexation did not include any or few residences. Mauldin has annexed some properties over the years and I believe they are looking to annex more to round out the city's boundaries.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
SC annexation laws prevent this from happening too much. Greenville did annex the land that CU-ICAR surrounds a few years back so it can be done; but for the most part that annexation did not include any or few residences. Mauldin has annexed some properties over the years and I believe they are looking to annex more to round out the city's boundaries.
I understand and we've had similar type discussions. I wonder if SC leadership will ever change things. Greenville is generally compared to much smaller cities when it comes to comparisons. I believe thats part of the reason we usually win hands down in these comparisons. I hear it all of the time when people come here "wow this seems a whole lot larger than the 60k I read about before I came here". Thats because it is.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,292,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post

I wish Missouri's laws made it much harder for cities to annex! And do away with cities getting to say what happens as far as 5 miles out of town! We In missouri envy your States' restrictions on cities!!!! Way to go South Carolina!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I wish Missouri's laws made it much harder for cities to annex! And do away with cities getting to say what happens as far as 5 miles out of town! We In missouri envy your States' restrictions on cities!!!! Way to go South Carolina!!!
I'm glad you do, but because of it we can't get certain things that we need and our states cities are behind on some things. Its time for and overhaul.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,292,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
I'm glad you do, but because of it we can't get certain things that we need and our states cities are behind on some things. Its time for and overhaul.

What is it that your city can not get it needs that won't raise your taxes? Or some new restriction on you the city would add in order to get something else?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
What is it that your city can not get it needs that won't raise your taxes? Or some new restriction on you the city would add in order to get something else?
If they annexed they wouldn't have to raise them. Let me put it to you this way. This is basically a city serving 400k+ on a tax base of around 60k. You do the math, and I haven't counted the surrounding towns yet that also use Greenville city. The tax base is strained. Everybody wants nice stuff, but no one to pay for it. It doesn't work that way. I wish it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area